It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crafty Bit of Upcycling: My Jacket Gets An Upgrade

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Jacy,

Although I would never normally recommend this, if you have trouble getting hold of the patches you want, you really ought to look online. I would always prefer to put physical cash in someones hand, but if the stuff you want is simply unavailable, and you do not have a yearly pilgrimage to a festival (where there will be plenty of patch merchants, as well as other merchandises for sale) to rely on, then it may be your only alternative!

As too getting a little side business going... That might be interesting to attempt. I would need to refine my skills quite a bit first, but it might be worth looking into!

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You're right, I will likely have to buy them online.
I don't have a credit card or paypal account, so occasionally I purchase a pre-paid Visa card and order things that I can't buy here (like certain products that I've used for years that are now not sold in Canada).

Regarding selling clothing items, I've done it a few times.
It seems that people don't really care how messy the inside of the item is (jacket, vest, etc.) as long as the outside is neat or goes with the theme.

Hand stitching is tedious and I find the inside looks bad sometimes, depending on where you stick the needle (threads get looped, loose ends tied off, etc.). But if the finished product (the outer side) looks good, nobody seems too concerned.

I can get a great jacket from a thrift shop for about $7 and then repurpose it with items/materials that can usually be found for a few dollars. Just selling locally, not online...I could easily get $50-$100 for a jacket.

Something to think about!
jacy

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

The inside of my jacket is free of stitching, because of the way I sew my patches. You can, however, clearly see the screws which are holding the shoulder in place.

I think my next addition to the garment will have to be a hood. I have loads of spare material (from combat trousers I used to fit into, but no longer do) to use. The fun part will be working out how much drop to work into the pattern. I am thinking that a deep drop hood would make more room for my hair...

Oh, the possibilities!

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Git! No one must knooooooow! *chortle*

Hehe, it will go nice with those Bay City Roller trousers and shoes...

On a more serious note, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my old Leather n Denim cut off that I had when I was a heavy and making millions homeless as I head banged away...

ACDC, Motorhead and Iron Maiden splattered all over it as well as a squillion studs...

Ahhh the good old days before I hit my Punk and Wave phases...

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Ah... you left your crust behind you at some point eh?

Fair enough. People often say to me, "Brit, you never change. Its great, but do you not wonder if you are slightly to predictable?" But I normally think of it this way. I could change my preferences, my lifestyle, I could change my mind on many things. But I know that if I do, I will look back on the things I left behind with sadness that I ever put them down. And so I never have.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

...Oh wait never mind.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Good one! To be honest though, my right shoulder is just fine for that!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join