It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hanford Nuclear tunnel collapases.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Problem is, technically there is no such thing as 'temporary burial' of radioactive waste. It's not like transplanting strawberries.

'Temporarily stored underground' would be more accurate. 'Temporary burial' is pure spin.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I just saw a Tweet in which someone was asking mainstream media outlets if they can confirm or deny that a Phoenix Nuke sniffer is flying over Hanford.

If you go to Twitter now, the hashtag #Hanford is really busy.

Hanford Site FB page
edit on 9-5-2017 by dianajune because: added link

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

They got a robot on site. No need for a plane. It's not in NK

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

They got a robot on site. No need for a plane. It's not in NK

Good. I didn't think that sounded right but wanted to check.

edit on 9-5-2017 by dianajune because: Added Twitter pic

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Constant Phoenix - specially equipped WC 135 (C 135 configured for atmosphere and weather research)

Was thread couple weeks back about one of these planes being deployed to Europe in response to increased
levels of radioactive Iodine 131

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Did I miss a new dangerous development or are people just flying off the handle baselessly?

twitter.com...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
Did I miss a new dangerous development or are people just flying off the handle baselessly?

twitter.com...

I think that guy is in panic mode. If an evacuation was ordered it would be all over the place.

I double-checked the BBC and didn't find anything on this.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Tepco officials just landed and are consulting the situation.

I'm sure everything will be fine in time for "bring your kids to work" day this Thursday.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I find it sad that government types don't think about the potential drawbacks to building plants of this type near rivers and reactors on or very near fault lines.

Gotta be something wrong with someone's head.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
We should remember that Hanford is one of the world's first nuclear sites. Hanford was there before Chernobyl, before ICBMs, before the Cold War, before any other nuclear reactor. Heck, it was there before the end of WW2! Hanford is where we learned about the dangers of radioactivity. It is where we learned WHY the methods we no longer use are bad in the first place. You will find instances of every abandoned practice and outlawed storage method at Hanford. No one knew any different at the time.

The radioactive contamination and groundwater plume at Hanford are so large there IS NO way to completely clean it up. All that can be done is put a lid on it and hope.
edit on 5/9/2017 by Montana because: My speller is broke

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I find it sad that government types don't think about the potential drawbacks to building plants of this type near rivers and reactors on or very near fault lines.

Gotta be something wrong with someone's head.

Hanford was a product of the Manhattan project to develop the atomic bomb. During WWII our national survival was pretty much on the line and as such government didn't really care about the consequences of many of its actions.

I live in western Washington quite a distance from Hanford (about 150 miles) and I wish the damn thing was not there. Sadly, that facility might be one of those messes that we can't clean up right now. It might take another 100 years or so of technological advancement before the problem can be fixed.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My oldest Brother was an Engineer at Hanford. He died from cancer about 15 years ago. His family did receive some compensation from the US Gov. Their conclusion was the cancer was most likely caused by his constant exposure.

Years before he died, he told us that Hanford would be leaking radiation contamination into the Columbia River......for THOUSANDS of YEARS

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Montana

More about the tunnels

Found here
So the "good news" seems to be there's no radioactive material stored inside the rail cars, just very very very toxic.

The equipment isn't buried at Hanford because it is not radioactive.

You don't bury lead at a radioactive site just because it is lead.
All that equipment is buried there because it is contaminated with radioactive isotopes.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That's true but it would have been a lot worse if strontium or similiar were stored in those tunnels. The site is a joke anyways, 2,4 meters "deep" they're not even really underground if you look at the pictures. Just a pile of dirt and underneath concrete, but the walls covered with douglas timber (?) I read somewhere, so this cave in won't release much more radiation than usually.
And if you read the conversation before you'll find that we said the rail cars are contaminated.

See the tunnel is in reality above ground, always.
29metres granite start giving you effective shielding, 2,4 metres dirt does nothing anyways.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think they put it on the Columbia River on purpose to cool the nuclear reactors.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Krem2 is saying no radiation was released, waiting on updates as now it looks to be infrastructure related and not leaks. Hopefully not more being released but sadly infrastructure failing won't be limited to walk-able tunnels as the tanks have been leaking for years.

After Fukushima milk was tested in California and Washington. The results yielded levels of radioactive Iodine-131. These tests came out of Eastern Washington, had been speculated to not have been from Fukushima but Hanford from over the years being present in the environment of the area and beyond.

Not trying to scare monger but as I said "speculated". Radiation is all around us and Hanford(I grew up near Turkey Point Nuclear PP in FL where it's said as children our teeth contained radiation) more so being in the NW. Over the years knew people affected by the plant by living near it. Very sad stories.

Surely not limited to up here as the tests came back positive in California as well. The more MSM sources yielded the levels were of no concern. One source

ETA wanted to add the biggest travesty(and of course not to downplay the cancer threats) about these ongoing leaks to the area that is still undetermined about the source of it but some sources lay blame:

“It’s Terrifying”: Rapid rise in babies with missing brains and spinal cords sticking out in area surrounding most contaminated nuclear site in US — Mother: Actual number is WAY higher than officials are reporting (VIDEO)

Source
Other sources say Monsanto and other chemicals may be the cause.
edit on 9-5-2017 by dreamingawake because: ETA

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

That is criminal, in my opinion.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

twitter.com...

I think that guy is in panic mode. If an evacuation was ordered it would be all over the place.

I double-checked the BBC and didn't find anything on this.

Consider the source, though i don't mind some of their stuff.

Checked the news locally and nothing of that widespread of an evacuation neither have heard from family in that radius of evacuation.

If the news checks out with major leak info, hope people have an escape place.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

One is currently in Asia. It landed in Okinawa a couple weeks ago, and has been flying missions there. I'm not sure where the other one is, if it's still in Europe, or moved to a new area.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: zeta55

Your brother was right, but I also doubt that it's as bad as it might have sounded. Radiation is all around all of us, just in small amounts. I wouldn't drink water straight from the river on plant premises, but once the water flows downstream... that's dilution and the solution to all pollution is dilution. People have this mental image that says a single radioactive particle is deadly, but that's just hype.

The plant itself will be radioactive for virtual perpetuity, due to the fact it was a waste processing plant, but the effect on the surrounding areas would likely be minimal.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join