It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New prescriptions should I take them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I never go to doctors unless I have no choice, but my wife insisted I go. So to please her I went.
At doctors appointment with a new prescriptions called Venlafaxine and adderall . I've looked Venlafaxine up and the "official" use for it is an antidepressant and nerve pain? And, I think everyone is familiar with adderall. Anyone else have experience with this drug or any insight what the TPTB actually are doing drugs like this? Should I take them? Both these scripts were from my GP.
edit on 5/7/172017 by jholt5638 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: jholt5638

Anti depressants are scary. And I would stay away from them unless you have a serious medical condition that would be improved by being on them.

Maybe a little background on your condition if you feel up to sharing. There might be some other ways that are more natural to treat your condition. Change in diet, exercise, etc.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Yeah try change in diet...more sunlight, exercise and as a last result get a younger girlfriend, if your situation improves dump the wife.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It depends.

I'm currently temporarily taking one that used to be an anti-depressant as a sleep aid. As my doctor (who is pretty good) explained, they created it as an anti-depressant and then discovered it worked much better as a sleep aid, so they now use it pretty much only as a sleep aid.

He's right. It works beautifully for that. It doesn't knock me out so that I get too drowsy to function, but once my head hits the pillow, I am pretty much ready to sleep. And I don't suffer groggy side effects in the morning.

So I would want to know if the anti-depressant is being used primarily for that or more for the nerve pain? That can make a difference in it's purpose. At the same time, I am surprised the doctor didn't walk you through what he was giving you and why.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You need to follow up with a Psychiatrist before you make a decision. My GP was very observant and good, but the Psychiatrist slightly modified his prescription because it wasn't exactly right.

I have a thread I started recently detailing a few things. My wife sent me to the doctor, too.

It's almost time I update my thread. I probably will at some point today.

But it sounds to me like you have trouble focusing and you have trouble getting motivation to do things, based on the scripts.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
When in doubt....Get a second opinion . Try a new doctor and see what they say .or a Chinese herbalist ...also, try diet change and exercise .eat organic, veggies, low starch, type,diet .Get out and walk ..... Without knowing why you went to the doctor, not many here will be able to say what the mess can do for,you.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I've seen that combo before.
The antidepressant is for your mood and well being, and the adderall is most likely prescribed to assist in motivation for completing daily tasks.
And yes, take them as prescribed.
Keep in mind, antidepressants can take a while to balance you out, sometimes 6 weeks

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

The fact that you're so paranoid about taking a medication your doctor prescribed is probably evident in itself the venlafaxine could benefit you.

Adderall was a life changing event for me. I was constantly lethargic and scatter-brained. In a single day if i started 5 projects id be lucky to complete only one. My lack or focus and organization had an impeding effect on my success until i started taking adderall. I only take it on work days and i dont feel amped, unusual or like im on any substance when I take it -- in my mind I feel as normal person would and a bit more motivated than I would otherwise.

Just roll with it. If it doesnt work out then contact your doctor to see if you need to taper off and maybe try something else.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: jholt5638
I never go to doctors unless I have no choice, but my wife insisted I go. So to please her I went.
At doctors appointment with a new prescriptions called Venlafaxine and adderall . I've looked Venlafaxine up and the "official" use for it is an antidepressant and nerve pain? And, I think everyone is familiar with adderall. Anyone else have experience with this drug or any insight what the TPTB actually are doing drugs like this? Should I take them? Both these scripts were from my GP.

This sounds harsh, but it's true for almost all of us.

"TPTB" aren't "actually doing anything" with drugs like this because you aren't important enough for them to give a damn about. Most people aren't. You aren't worth the effort for any special drugs. They're simply anti-depressants, and despite what grey580 says, anti-depressants, when used properly and the directions followed, aren't scary at all. There are psychological conditions and imbalances that sunlight, diet, and exercise simply can't fix.

In all honesty, if you doubt the drugs, ask your doctor why he prescribed them or ask for a 2nd opinion. Turning to ATS for medical advise is like asking the National Enquirer about Elvis. You're gonna find answers, but they're almost all stupid.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Yes you should give an update.
I was wondering about you the other day.
I hope things are starting to balance out for you.

And the offer is still on the table if you ever need to vent.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: grey580

It depends.

I'm currently temporarily taking one that used to be an anti-depressant as a sleep aid. As my doctor (who is pretty good) explained, they created it as an anti-depressant and then discovered it worked much better as a sleep aid, so they now use it pretty much only as a sleep aid.

He's right. It works beautifully for that. It doesn't knock me out so that I get too drowsy to function, but once my head hits the pillow, I am pretty much ready to sleep. And I don't suffer groggy side effects in the morning.

So I would want to know if the anti-depressant is being used primarily for that or more for the nerve pain? That can make a difference in it's purpose. At the same time, I am surprised the doctor didn't walk you through what he was giving you and why.

let me guess.
trazadone?
it works really good for sleep actually. most doctors are prescribing that instead of ambien and lunesta.

take em as prescribed OP.
you will notice the effects from the adderall right away but it will probably take a week or so to notice a change from the effexor

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, still getting over frozen shoulder, and there is nothing, NOTHING, that let's me get comfortable at night, and when I am already someone who needs everything to be good before I can fall asleep, that pain in the arm is killing me at night.

So, yeah, the trazadone is letting me get sleep again on those nights when my arm is keeping me from getting to sleep.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Im not qualified to give you medical advice. But I will quickly address the issue: If these or any medication(s) were prescribed for you for a specific reason from a specific doctor...there was a reason they/he/she think you'd benefit from them.

1. The medications prescribed need to be taken over a minimum, specific time frame tailored to the individual to even see if they work and are effective.
2. If one is prescribed these 2 or any medications...understand at least 1 physician thinks they'd benefit you.

No one here can or should tell you whether to take them or not...nor should you rely on their opinion. Every person and case is different.

If concerned...talk to your doctor and/or get a second evaluation by a different physician. Good luck.

MS
EMT/ERT
Advanced Life Support

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Give Float Therapy a try... about 3-6 sessions. It's one of the BEST ways to still the mind and let the physical self unwind and heal.

You said it yourself... you only include the med field on a 'need be' basis. Well, have you exhausted all other possible options? As if asking your doctor what's right for you is already a white flag being waved enough as it is alone, but please don't stretch med usage to asking ATS what's right for you.

If a doctor's 1st question to you is not, 'how much water do you drink?'... then they are operating out of the pill handbooks. Doctor's are most commonly doctor's of medicine... not health. People are quick to get prescriptions for such reasons.

70% of balanced health resides in the digestion system. If diet and environment of good value are not strived for... the stresses on the mind and body build up. Take notice... whenever you feel really off kilter, you'll notice unhealthy stool excretion join alongside as well. If you were to work towards healthy stool excretion, you'll notice that the physical and mental ailments clear up.

I almost look at taking big pharm meds as a way of 'waving the white flag of defeat.' They can help in many cases as well, but more or less are taken as a way to avoid getting back on track in natural ways.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Stem cell therapy for ailing joints has had tremendous gains in technology in the past 5-10 years... it's amazing what they are fixing internally with stem cells. You may want to look into it if you're at a level of last resorts...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

First, why did you go to the Doctor, and why did your wife insist you go? Depression, anxiety issues, or what?

That's really the first thing I would been answered before I gave advice. And even though I am not a Doctor, I am generally against *most* prescription medication (depending on the medical condition and which drug).

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I don't know the first one but do know adderall. My family has had ongoing focus and sleep problems and decided to do something totally different and it's worked wonders.

Research ayurvedic recipes and incorporate them into your eating, especially the spices. If you have a few extra bucks, find a good ayurvedic "coach" and work with them on getting a solid k pledge of the foods and spices to mix. The spices and food are actually a LOT less expensive than what we normally ate so we were able to get a coach based on the savings. We go to the huge farmers market here and they have all of the foods and spices very fresh and really inexpensive....1 week of groceries (breakfast, lunch, dinner, juices/fruits and snacks) for family of 5 is under $240.

Buy a book called Mindfulness by Mark Williams....it is an 8 week workbook on meditating and other mindfulness techniques that is now being taught in a lot of public schools in my area and has been used by professional sports teams all over.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, still getting over frozen shoulder, and there is nothing, NOTHING, that let's me get comfortable at night, and when I am already someone who needs everything to be good before I can fall asleep, that pain in the arm is killing me at night.

So, yeah, the trazadone is letting me get sleep again on those nights when my arm is keeping me from getting to sleep.

Try a magnesium shot, may take a few to get it to go away almost completely, but they work quickly and last longer than cortisone for me. They also have the added benefit of helping you sleep. I have to get them every 6 months or so because of an old motorcycle wreck my left should never properly healed from. You also don't build an immunity to it like cortisone.

And I k ow it sounds odd, but the book I recommended in the last post on this thread, Mindfulness, has techniques that through use of mindfulness you are able to control the pain or make it go away altogether. Research the book and the authors and the guy that wrote the forward in it...there is a lot out there that they have done for pain control.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: jholt5638
Venlafaxine and adderall

they prescribed me that junk in high school, made me feel horrible, didnt take long to realize i was better off not taking them, turns out you can sell em to people for a high price real easy... (not that i would or did
) i just thought it was strange how much interest the black market has for them
edit on 7-5-2017 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

What do you have to be depressed about?

Are you depressed?

Or are you just pissed at the world? Tell us the truth. Tell us why you went and don't be vague. Don't lie. But conceal your identity. Just tell us what you are currently going through and I can tell you what you should do with those pills.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join