It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you been swept away by the fidget spinner?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Where I live, they sell them everywhere. I first saw them last week in my local newsagent. Yesterday I saw them in the vape shop lol.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Massive in the UK. Blew up about four weeks ago when they appeared from nowhere and went 'viral.' We've got mums yelling at their kids in stores, "Put that bloody thing down and watch where you're bloody going!!" I've trodden on one and it's right up there with the Lego brick for a "F***** hell" moment.

Some of them are pretty cool looking. Die-cast, great designs and the better ones spin for ages.

We can all shake our heads and tut at the latest craze. Who cares? They aren't made for us and the kids love them. I see adults with the fancy-ass vapes and it's comparable

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I can see why a toy like this could have such a surge in popularity in today's world. As a result (im guessing, but it's pretty obvious) of so many generations of having our brains and bodies fried by (do i really need to list all the harmful effects of EVERY chemical, Every wifi/cell frequency, all the forms of radiation, vaccines, fear, brainwashing etc...)....

.....so anyway, I have, for quite a while now, been noticing certain behaviors previously almost exclusively limited to those with some sort of disease or disorder... ADD, ADHD, AUTISM, DOWN SYNDROME, Etc.

Its like, nowadays, EVERYone is at least a little autistic or ADD or SOME thing... It's quite common to see a "normal" person make some kind of a blunder, and then "jokingly" blame it on some disorder like "Oh I'm just being so OCD right now lol", or "LoL it must be my ADD".

Or about their friends, loved ones...
Perhaps after witnessing a person failing to properly read and comprehend a short, simple sentence, a proper response might be "Lol Dyslexic", or the cool trendy version (since such errors have become so common there are trends involving them) "Lysdexic" (its how a dislexic person may read the word "dyslexic", so its funny to imagine a person so dy
slexic, or at least, their dyslexia just happened to manifest itself at a most coincidental moment, they fail to recognise and correctly pronounce the Word dislexia...)

It's quite normal, and almost even "cool" in a way, to be unable to fit in well in social situations. Being awkward is hilarious. Why? Because we can all identify. Because today, pretty much everyone is handicapped in some way...

I was going to expand/elaborate but got distracted for a moment, and, what do you know, but i can't seem to remember something from 5 minutes ago... Oh well, thats normal... Right?

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
I been seeing this as some fad or something. I really don't get it. I even looked on amazon and some where very pricey too.
What happened to yo-yo's? They seem more fun than this?

Yoyos require more skill, and it has way to many variatons... This thing is designed for todays one track mind and low attention span. It just has one mode: spin. A yoyo has at least 2. Down, and Up.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Simple things amuse simple minds I guess like all fads they will come and go

Does anybody remember when Pogs were all the rage ? I still have my collection somewhere in the attic lol

Lol...

Simple Things
Simple Minds
POGS

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

.....so anyway, I have, for quite a while now, been noticing certain behaviors previously almost exclusively limited to those with some sort of disease or disorder... ADD, ADHD, AUTISM, DOWN SYNDROME, Etc.

Its like, nowadays, EVERYone is at least a little autistic or ADD or SOME thing... It's quite common to see a "normal" person make some kind of a blunder, and then "jokingly" blame it on some disorder like "Oh I'm just being so OCD right now lol", or "LoL it must be my ADD".

These terms have become popular currency and are really useful for shorthand communications. Not so good on the self-diagnoses. People have always kept clean kitchens and now it's, "I'm soooooo OCD with my kitchen." Same with the ADHD references. We could call it lazyass thinking or look at it as phrasing for our times.

Funnily enough, it used to be 'bi-polar' that was the popular one. Up until around 2010, the internet was all about calling people bi-polar and it's lost favour as behaviour-based acronyms have gotten more press. Ah nostalgia! Do you remember the days when it was all about eating disorders? "I skipped breakfast and mom's scared I'm anorexic."

Inside of all the pop-terms is a kernel of truthiness. We're all multiple Xs on the multi-dimensional spectrum of everything.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Swept away...
As in having my kids track the Amazon package (due to arrive between May 17 and June 8) that is apparently on a ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, having been ordered a week ago?

In that case, I am swept up in it.

Edit for clarity:
There are 3 fidgit spinners in the package coming from China, an I am the one that gets to track the package.... every day.... until it finally arrives.
edit on b000000312017-05-06T07:14:01-05:0007America/ChicagoSat, 06 May 2017 07:14:01 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Naturallywired
I been seeing this as some fad or something. I really don't get it. I even looked on amazon and some where very pricey too.
What happened to yo-yo's? They seem more fun than this?

Yoyos require more skill, and it has way to many variatons... This thing is designed for todays one track mind and low attention span. It just has one mode: spin. A yoyo has at least 2. Down, and Up.

fidget go right. fidget go left

im just surprised i never heard of them.
in a year you wont be able to give these things away like
pogs
beanie babies etc

when the beanies were popular like 20 years ago people were hawking them at the flew market for 100 bucks man

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

As opposed to say violent video games or politics?

ETA: fads come, fads go. if the collective stupidity that swept this nation in the 1970s didn't subvert us, nothing will. I'm referring to the Pet Rock. You know, the one that kids decorated and named....

edit on 5/6/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Discotech

Simple things amuse simple minds I guess like all fads they will come and go

Does anybody remember when Pogs were all the rage ? I still have my collection somewhere in the attic lol

Lol...

Simple Things
Simple Minds
POGS

Yes I had a simple mind as child

Although winning the other kids Pogs that required skill and training to be the best

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

My son was given one by his school. Apparently they gave them to all the fidgeters.

It's an ok device. He played with it for a day and I haven't seen much of it since. It does feel nice to spin, but I haven't witnessed any real value. He's allowed to take it to school but doesn't want to because he's afraid it will be stolen. He's probably right about that.

BTW, I just saw a box of them at Walgreens, this morning, for anyone looking to get one.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Just ordered some from Amazon for my three kids. I asked, "What does it do? Just spin?"

"YES! IT'S AWESOME!" is the typical response.

Ok. At least they are cheap.

I'm such a sucker.

EDIT: Amazon isn't able to ship them until JUNE.

Also, my kid's school has banned them.
edit on 6-5-2017 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

It's just a modernised spinning top. Children have loved those for centuries.

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well, if those things make kids remember that there are other things than video games, then yeah!

Unlike video games, these things don't require electricity. I wish it would do more than just exercise your fingers, but hey, baby steps!

edit on 6-5-2017 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ill try to dig up the article but these things actually are not new and the story is a bit of a shame.
Here's one

Apparently an older woman an engineer of some sort invented the thing over a decade ago to help her son with his anxiety if i recall correctly. Anyways she patented it and marketed them as a device to aid children who have various attention or anxiety issues. She sold quite a bit of them locally but wasnt really making much money because lack of popularity and it was difficult to source the supplies for making them. She also partnered with Hasbro to sell them but Hasbro never got them on the store shelves for whatever reason.

Then her patent expired 7 years later and she was too broke to renew the patent so it got released out there to the world. Now they are selling out everywhere and the poor woman wouldve been a filthy millionaire.

But they interviewed her and she is not sad about the money instead she is happy the toy is finally actually getting out there to help other children ailed by such things.

edit on 6-5-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I bought the sticks and the spinner for my 4 year old. She has Autism and its been working well for her. Read this article .. www.fidgetwidgetoys.com...

After reading it I decided what the heck might as well try it.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i make fun of these cause i am a dick but i bet i would enjoy it.

im not always fidgeting with something but quite a lot of the time i am.
i will just take a pen cap and move it end on end.

my boss has a foam truck from one of our vendors on his desk and whenever i go in his office to pow wow with him i pick that damn thing up and move it end to end

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
aaahhhhh i just got swept away.

i broke down and bought one today and i have not put the damn thing down all day...

just watching fights and spinning the damn thing.....

it is actually quite nice. look at me talking # and then getting caught up in it..

so where you buying yours?

just bought this one

www.amazon.com...=sxr_sxwds-rbp_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3007919262&pd_rd_wg=K7Afh&pf_rd_r=47FQJKYNMD5W518NF9HX&pf_rd_s= desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B071CLX241&pd_rd_w=W2cJf&pf_rd_i=Fidgeteer&pd_rd_r=AT7W6Q7X301GCW01M2G1&ie=UTF8&qid=1497209007&sr=2
e dit on 11-6-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join