It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student penalized for using word ‘man’ on his essay

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

In almost every language, when referring to a group, it defaults to the masculine form. Like when you say, "Hey guys" even if there are women included in the group.

Why is this a problem? It has to be something.

The fruitless stupidity abounds! The soft liberals will huff and puff and our heads will all cave in.

edit on 2-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Notthing wrong useing slang most of the time an academic essay is about being able to assemble real or imagined facts in a logial sequence and present an arguement.

Part of it is to also demosntrate the extent of ones mastry, or otherwise, of the English language. If a student is not able to achieve a set standard of construction of words and sentances, then they are unable to met the requriements of the standard.

Question is should standards be lowered to enable those with poor language skills to pass or should they be allowed to fall by the academic wayside.

I once heard it argued that the only kids that should be educated all are the bright kids or kids of parents who could prove have a minium level of net wealth.

not everybody beleives all kids should be educated.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Those darned English professors and their confounded Manual of Style guidelines. Stupid topic sentences, dumb introductory paragraphs, idiotic rules of spelling, grammar, syntax, arrghhh! You even need a subject to write about, even have to use logical arguments to support your thesis statement, and those English teachers are soooo mean.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon
I don't see the problem. Mankind is an outdated term and people are supposed to learn to use correct English in college. I guess your local dialect might use the term "man" interchangeably with "human" but you can't speak like that in a professional setting. It's pretty much like ebonics

Utterly ridiculous.

Proper English is not a butchered version of a language. It is not slang. What next, Shakespearian needs to be modernised to allow snowflakes to remain untriggered?

One small step for man, one giant leap for sjw's with signs and bike locks.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: RedDragon

No, it is nothing like Ebonics. Human contains the word man/women same deal. These professors are going to be looking for work in the near future. The need for this style of education is almost done.

Fo sho? Whah, shizzle.. whah y'all hatin' bra? y'all gotsta get wid da times ya dig?

stahp da hate muh nizzle. dis how we talk now, G. alls good in da hood.

One small, you know, step like, for bipedal earthlings, but yo, dig dis, one YUGE leap for all y'all...

In other news, I just washed my brain with bleach.

edit on 2/5/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I guess we need to edit history as well. For example neil armstrong,

That’s one small step for a human, one giant leap for humankind.

Or perhaps martin luther king,

“What is human that thou art mindful of him’

The use of man and mankind has been constant throughout history any english teacher would know this and should know its use and meaning.

Definition of mankind
ˈman-ˈkīnd, -ˌkīnd : the human race : the totality of human beings

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
This is doubleplusgood brother. It is crimethink to question newspeak.

Viddy well oh little brother. viddy well, the starry eyed lewdies are in for a right ol' tolchocking by all us, that is, them, droogs and our devotchkas.

Right right right?

Drat them, drat them back to their stinking ol' domy's...

*hears classical music*

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Must be a slow news day for The College Fix.

At University of Texas today, some guy killed a student with a knife and injured at least 3 others. Now, THAT's a college news story worth reporting on.

Was it a him/her or someone transitioning?

Facts Maam/sir...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Why not just say "womankind" from now on, and let that be the all inclusive word to mean everyone? Works for me.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
So women came before water and men?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
So women came before water and men?

Does this sound dirty somehow?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Who cares? If they want to punish a student for being more intelligent than the rest of the university, just don't go to that University anymore. The rules of life never said it's a requirement for anyone to get a college degree to be successful. I don't know why society keeps pushing that lie. I honestly think unless your getting a full or partial scholarship or grant to go to college, it's nothing but a scam to get you into a life time of debt with no promise of a future job in the field you want with the pay you want.

Of course there are exceptions to jobs like the medical/scientific fields or some engineering degrees.

Only in America.
edit on 2-5-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Why not just say "womankind" from now on, and let that be the all inclusive word to mean everyone? Works for me.

Why not call green blue?

Chicken beef?

Your argument is weak.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Not weak at all. "Woman" in fact, includes both genders. It's got "man" in there, and the "wo", which makes it female.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Man kind encompasses both innie's and outie's. But I'm afraid that the term used since millennia is no longer "fair", worriers will worry.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm more concerned with the actual statement... “Water is a thing prior to man” This is something a 5th grader would write, not a college student...Water is a thing... really?

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Not weak at all. "Woman" in fact, includes both genders. It's got "man" in there, and the "wo", which makes it female.

I like Carbon Entity...

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Could we go with Carbonkind, in order to easy the transition. If not I'm good with Carbon Entity.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: RedDragon
I don't see the problem. Mankind is an outdated term and people are supposed to learn to use correct English in college. I guess your local dialect might use the term "man" interchangeably with "human" but you can't speak like that in a professional setting. It's pretty much like ebonics

Well the truth is that the term "mankind" or "man" as in mankind is only obsolete to a bunch of gender bigots. Man means nothing political. You have like male and female.....both male really as man, human ect. Its only a problem to a bunch of nut jobs and bitc##s and female elevationist....not equal rights mind you but promotion of the female above male.

Wrong. Language professors and the such have always been at the forefront of changing the English language to fit changing times. The English language that you speak today is not the same English language that was spoken just 50 years ago. "Man" is a word that's being phased out just like "negro", "ni**er", and other words that we don't use anymore. You can refuse to change I guess but then you'll just be the old guy that says the n word all the time. You won't be hire-able because you refuse to assimilate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join