It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student penalized for using word ‘man’ on his essay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is doubleplusgood brother. It is crimethink to question newspeak.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: RedDragon
I don't see the problem. Mankind is an outdated term and people are supposed to learn to use correct English in college. I guess your local dialect might use the term "man" interchangeably with "human" but you can't speak like that in a professional setting. It's pretty much like ebonics

Well the truth is that the term "mankind" or "man" as in mankind is only obsolete to a bunch of gender bigots. Man means nothing political. You have like male and female.....both male really as man, human ect. Its only a problem to a bunch of nut jobs and bitc##s.

Throw transgenderism in to the mix and watch their heads explode.

Since one can turn oneself in to the other.

This is about anti-traditional hetro male......right.....everyone get that? LOL

Man I was in college back in the late 90s and they were talking this he/she stuff in printed page. Couldn't say he had to say he/she. Folks don't understand how bad these fems are where you find them. I men the sort of females that really don't seek equality ect but are gender superiorist.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Must be a slow news day for The College Fix.

At University of Texas today, some guy killed a student with a knife and injured at least 3 others. Now, THAT's a college news story worth reporting on.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

C'mon Kayla. There is no comedic value in that.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Start a thread about it.

This is thread is about a divisive professor who got caught pushing personal issues he has for a silly word for God know what reason.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Start a thread about it.

This is thread is about a divisive professor who got caught pushing personal issues he has for a silly word for God know what reason.

This is a thread about a college essay - of which there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS written every day at all the colleges and universities in this country. All of them graded by professors who have their own reasons for grading how ever they want to. This essay, along with all the other essays, will most likely be forgotten in time, even by the student who wrote it. I certainly can't remember any of my college essays, but I remember I didn't always agree with my professors' grading. Too bad, so sad - their classroom, their rules. I survived, and so will this poor, mistreated college student.

Again, a non-freaking-issue.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

God forbid that a professor expects the proper use of a word!

Daily Writing Tips
Many authorities agree. Bryan A. Garner, in Garner’s Modern American Usage, recommends humankind—and on a related topic writes, “The writer’s point of view matters less than the reader’s” (with the implication that, in addition, the writer should not presuppose the reader’s preference, but should as a default use inclusive language). The Modern Language Association supports gender-neutral language, and The Chicago Manual of Style advises it, too.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Womyn would've been accepted

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

The "Chicago" Manual of Style......

I found the problem. It's always effing Chicago.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: markosity1973

New speak.

All part of the changes sought across the world to enable globalization, humanization and true equality in all things. As i wrote yesterday, Trump will slow the process that Obama sped into motion, but he has no way in Hell to stop it. Nor should he.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alexander the Great
It's times like these that I wish George Carlin was still around...

Yes, yes, yes......agreed. For their BS to work you have to agree to participate.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Like I said get away from the education mafia.

Get your kids away, start family businesses.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well....in his argument, HU-MAN is incorrect too.

HOMO- Sapien is wrong, as Homo = Man.

WO-MAN and WO-MEN is wrong.

MAN-ipulate is wrong.

Maybe the correct term should be Monkeykind?

These people are truly insane, and shouldn't be in positions of influence.

Trying to change a language, for their own personal delusions.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Was any of your essays national news? I can guarantee the author will not forget the nut job professor nailing him because he has some unresolved issues. This is about diluting and changing things that no one but the idiot professor thinks "exclude" women. Man kind is inclusive, the hyper sensitive professor is a army of one.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Her personal experience trumps everyone else's ain't you know that?

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

If it is truly a "global" initiative to make language inclusive, I have to ask, why isn't Spanish being butchered to remove all traces of the masculine or feminine attributes? What other languages are being bastardized in pursuit of gender fluidity?

I don't hear much about that. Just English. Really makes ya think.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Yeah, but white males, duh.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Just like many many liberals, you can't even breath a different opinion to the bastions of inclusive tenderness.

Try having an adult conversation about women's rights, abortion, religion or eating animals. These liberals are inclusive as long as you agree with them.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Davis also said the exercise is “not to enforce political correctness” but is “both a grammar refresher and a style and user guide.” It was also not for the use “man” alone that Poirier lost points. Rather, Davis explained to The Fix that students lose points when they don’t follow two or more standards.

This is an actual thing. There's a standard for what words are used where and how. It's what a Copy Editor does.

Whether or not you agree with how words should be used it does matter in an academic and professional setting. Style guides exist and are expected to be followed depending on the job you do.

Style Guide
A style guide (or manual of style) is a set of standards for the writing and design of documents, either for general use or for a specific publication, organization, or field. (It is often called a style sheet, though that term has other meanings.) A style guide establishes and enforces style to improve communication. To do that, it ensures consistency within a document and across multiple documents and enforces best practice in usage and in language composition, visual composition, orthography and typography. For academic and technical documents, a guide may also enforce the best practice in ethics (such as authorship, research ethics, and disclosure), pedagogy (such as exposition and clarity), and compliance (technical and regulatory).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join