It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domain Redirect Question ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Please help!

Let's say I have a domain. It's called "mydomain" (hint: not really mydomain). It's hosted through Go Daddy, and I would like to redirect it from where it currently goes to my eBay storefront. I thought I did this correctly in Go Daddy, but I have a problem.

When I type:

mydomain.com, I am directed to my eBay storefront.

But when I type:

www.mydomain.com

I am directed to where it used to be, not to eBay.

What do I have to do to get it work with www.mydomain not just mydomain? I have daily shoppers on my website, so with it messed up right now, there's egg on my face. Please help.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Sounds like domain structure resolving DNS separately for each.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Can you speak in English please?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

He means that www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com have their own separate pointer records.

You have successfully redirected the pointer record for mydomain.com but not for www.mydomain.com

edit on 29-4-2017 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther

He means that www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com have their own separate pointer records.

You have successfully redirected the pointer record for mydomain.com but not for www.mydomain.com

Thank you. I understand exactly what you said. Now, is there a website or Youtube video or can someone tell me what to do in Go Daddy to point the WWW part. I seriously see Greek when I look at this. It's all A and CNAME and @ and weird numbers and if someone could speak to me like I'm 5 and explain what to do I am really embarrassed right now and would like to fix this.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

cname means canonical name..
If you know this little about domains and inter-domain routing please study up a little first, otherwise you're bound to make soooo many mistakes. It will help a lot, trust me

But as for the simple explanation -

www.itworld.com...

Once you grasp the concept of PTR records you'll have it figured out.
Right now you have a PTR record resolving mydomain.com to your ebay storefront.
You need to add another PTR record pointing www.mydomain.com to your ebay storefront.

I hope this helps, you can't explain this stuff to a 5 year old, you need to be atleast 12 and above

Some more info -
za.godaddy.com...
www.verisign.com...

Goodluck to you, shout if you need any more help.

edit on 29-4-2017 by GreenGunther because: it's better now

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Thanks for being helpful, I've seriously been working on this for about 3 hours now.

I think I did it... After reading your post I was able to Google better and found this Add a CNAME Record

So I added a record:

Type: CNAME
Name: www
Value: @
TTL: 1 hour

Is this correct? And yes, I will read your link. I didn't know I was this ignorant, having thought until a few hours ago that things like www.abovetopsecret.com and abovetopsecret.com were the same thing... but apparently without the WWW it's called a "naked domain" and it is recommended to have both a WWW and a naked so people can type it both ways.

edit on 4/29/17 by Ameilia because: grammar

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I believe you want the FQDN in your CNAME record, ie. 'www.ebaystrorefront.com'

Here’s the main differences:
The A record maps a name to one or more IP addresses, when the IP are known and stable.
The CNAME record maps a name to another name. It should only be used when there are no other records on that name.
The ALIAS record maps a name to another name, but in turns it can coexist with other records on that name.
The URL record redirects the name to the target name using the HTTP 301 status code.

-support.dnsimple.com...

edit on 29-4-2017 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

It's working! You saved my face! I am SO thankful for your assistance.

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Only a pleasure, glad to be of assistance (:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I'm glad that I'm not alone as I'm in the same boat. I've been building my online shop with one of 10 Top-rate OpenCart Templates to Build Impressive E-Store (www.templatemonster.com...), but I'm newbie to all this and don't have much experience. So, I've faced some problems. I'm happy that I've found this thread as you helped me a lot. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
generally theres an option to redirect... I use namecheap for all my domain names and theres an option to redirect your domain name to whatever website you want it to.

top topics

join