It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration launches investigation into aluminum imports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Looks like Trump may be doing what he said. His admin is looking into aluminum production mainly in China as it could affect the US ability to ramp up production in the event of a war.

The investigation, which the Commerce Department initiated on the eve of Trump's planned signing, could result in tariffs or other restrictions on foreign imports of aluminum, which could have a direct effect on China, one of the largest exporters of aluminum.
The investigation comes as US aluminum production has significantly decreased in recent years, sparking concerns in the Trump administration that the US aluminum industry might not be capable of handling production demands of the US defense industry should war preparations become necessary.
www.cnn.com...

This executive action could have implications with US/China trade relations (most favored nation status by Bill Clinton). China has been accused of dumping steel here in the US and this is hurting US manufacturing. This is Trump following through on his campaign promises.

The executive action is just the latest that could have implications for the US-China trading relationship, coming a week after Trump directed a similar investigation into steel imports. China has been accused of dumping steel in the US market, hurting US manufacturers of the product.

Ross said the latest action, like several other trade actions Trump has taken in recent weeks, were aimed at following through on promises he made during the campaign, when he promised action on trade.
"It shouldn't surprise you that he's following through and it certainly shouldn't surprise you that I'm following through," Ross said.

edit on 26-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Another promise kept.

I have been lamenting for decades that the reduction of manufacturing in the US has made us dependent on other countries to the point that we have lost our security.

My heart has been lighter since Trump has been on the job. And every week it gets lighter.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

I am cautiously optimistic about his moves.

His moves are not liked by the nonthinking portion of leftists and libs, but sometimes the adults need to take over and get sh done.

(post by babybunnies removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Weapons are indeed a good (profitable) industry. But the labor costs are the reason manufacturing is moving. Slave labor in apparel is a perfect example. Sure there is automation, but 1,200 Indians jammed into a condemned 7 floor building in downtown Delphi is not automation, it is third world slavery to enrich the corps.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

[snip] Demise of manufacturing in USA hasn't been due to other countries, it's due to automation, bought in by American companies.

If you want to make something in America, you'd better be working for a weapons manufacturer.

4 factories recently closed in my area and moved to Mexico.

Fun fantasy though.
edit on Wed Apr 26 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's that cheap labor. Not robots. Robots are (still) expensive and stoooopid.

new topics

top topics

join