It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Executive Order on Enforcing Statutory Prohibitions on Federal Control of Education

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Now THIS is excellent news... and another Trump promise fulfilled!

Trump wants the Federal government to have less control over the education of our children!! This is significant.

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to restore the proper division of power under the Constitution between the Federal Government and the States and to further the goals of, and to ensure strict compliance with, statutes that prohibit Federal interference with State and local control over education

Presidential Executive Order on Enforcing Statutory Prohibitions on Federal Control of Education

Trump is instructing the Secretary of Education to review all Department of Education regulations to be sure that they agree with existing Federal law that "prohibit the Department from exercising any direction, supervision, or control over areas subject to State and local control"

It shall be the policy of the executive branch to protect and preserve State and local control over the curriculum, program of instruction, administration, and personnel of educational institutions, schools, and school systems, consistent with applicable law, including ESEA, as amended by ESSA, and ESEA's restrictions related to the Common Core State Standards developed under the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

Could this be the end of Common Core? I hope that it also leads to more support for non-public education.

The Secretary shall, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, rescind or revise any regulations that are identified pursuant to subsection (b) of this section as inconsistent with statutory prohibitions. The Secretary shall also rescind or revise any guidance documents that are identified pursuant to subsection (b) of this section as inconsistent with statutory prohibitions. The Secretary shall, to the extent consistent with law, publish any proposed regulations and withdraw or modify any guidance documents pursuant to this subsection no later than 300 days after the date of this order.

edit on 4/26/17 by BlueAjah because: added quote

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
My one and only complaint against Trump ?

Too many effing EO's.

Work with congress.

There is a time and place for them.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

EO is not making a law. It is giving instructions to the departments regarding what they should do to review laws. How else is this going to happen?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Executive Order on Federalism Education

For too long, the federal government has imposed its will on state and local governments. The result has been education that spends more and achieves far, far, far less. My administration has been working to reverse this federal power grab and give power back to families, cities, states. Give power back to localities.

Previous administrations have wrongfully forced states and schools to comply with federal whims and dictate what our kids are taught. But we know that local communities do it best and know it best. The time has come to empower parents and teachers to make the decisions that help their students achieve success. That’s what this executive order is all about.

THIS gets ignored:

Before this administration, only one time in our nation’s history had a President signed a bill that used the Congressional Review Act to cancel a federal regulation. In less than 100 days, I have signed 13 bills such congressional resolutions to cancel federal regulations and give power back to the people, and I’m very honored to have done so.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

It won't end common core. Common core is a series of voluntary state level laws. The feds have no jurisdiction.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

To many? What? Like the ones he has to undo? The already many EOs? It's Congresses job to review them and make a "law" or null the EO. We got to many "Departments" doing Congresses job. To many political leanings subverting the C.O.T.U.S. To many lawyers, judges and politicians, that apperently can't read plain English. Good job Pres. Trump! Hopefully this will get education away from indoctrination and back into educating.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The CCSSO and NGA explicitly called for federal influence to move states onto common, internationally benchmarked standards – what the Core is supposed to be – writing in the 2008 report Benchmarking for Success that the role of the federal government is to offer “incentives” to get states to use common standards, including offering funding and regulatory relief.

The Common Core was dropped into a federally dictated system under the No Child Left Behind Act that required accountability based on state standards and tests, so Washington did have a role in overseeing “implementation” of the standards. And since what is tested for accountability purposes is what is supposed to get taught, it is very deceptive to say, simply, curriculum “is created by districts and states.” The curricula states create is supposed to be heavily influenced by Core, and especially the math section pushes specific content. Indeed, the Core calls specifically for instructional “shifts.” Oh, and the federal government selected and funded two consortia of states to create national tests – the Partnership for the Assessment of Readiness for College and Career (PARCC) and the Smarter-Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) – which the Department of Education, to at least some extent, oversaw.
The $4.35 billion Race to the Top was the primary lever to coerce states into Core adoption, and it did far more than give 40 out of 500 points for adopting any ol’ “internationally benchmarked standards and assessments.” It came as close to saying Common Core as possible without actually saying Common Core, which, by the way, reporting by the Washington Post’s Lyndsey Layton suggested the Obama administration wanted to do, but was asked not to because the optics would be bad. So instead the regulations said that to get maximum points states would have to adopt standards common to a “majority” of states – a definition only met by the Core – and went to pains to make sure the adoption timelines suited the Core.

The federal government has taken on a largely unlimited role in education – everything from funding to coercing curriculum standards – which is why we saw anger on both the left and right spur passage of the ESSA. But it is not clear that the ESSA reduces the federal role to simply providing supplemental funds, standards for children with disabilities, and stopping hunger. The new law requires that states send standard, testing, and accountability plans to Washington for approval; requires uniform statewide testing; and demands interventions in the worst performing schools, among other things. And this is before the regulations – which some groups are pushing to be very prescriptive – have been written.

Getting the Common Core (and Federal) Facts Right

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Yes, and Trump has been busy signing laws too:

GETTING GOVERNMENT OUT OF THE WAY: President Donald J. Trump has done more to stop the Government from interfering in the lives of Americans in his first 100 days than any other President in history.

President Trump has signed 13 Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolutions in his first 100 days, more than any other President. These resolutions nullified unnecessary regulations and block agencies from reissuing them.
Since CRA resolutions were introduced under President Clinton, they’ve been used only once, under President George W. Bush.

A SLEW OF LEGISLATION SIGNED: Despite historic Democrat obstructionism, President Trump has worked with Congress to pass more legislation in his first 100 days than any President since Truman.

President Trump has worked with Congress to enact 28 laws during the first 100 days of his Administration.
President Obama enacted 11 laws during his first 100 days.
President George W. Bush enacted 7 laws during his first 100 days.
President Clinton enacted 24 laws during his first 100 days.
President George H.W. Bush enacted 18 laws during his first 100 days.
President Reagan enacted 9 laws during his first 100 days.
President Carter enacted 22 laws during his first 100 days.
President Nixon enacted 9 laws during his first 100 days.
President Johnson enacted 10 laws during his first 100 days.
President Kennedy enacted 26 laws during his first 100 days.
President Eisenhower enacted 22 laws during his first 100 days.
President Truman enacted 55 bills laws during his first 100 days.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Too many effing EO's.

Work with congress.

That's not his style. In his mind, he's a CEO and he doesn't bow to the board of directors (which is how he sees Congress.) Things that he's sent to Congress have notoriously failed (because of poor planning on his part) so he's going to stick with hastily crafted Executive Orders because nobody can stop him there. He has a high failure rate on those, too, but he sees that as his best success.

And he's never been a team player, as you know.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Hey, something I can totally agree with! I guess this means goodbye Betsy?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

She is under orders from the President:

President Trump on Wednesday ordered U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to study how the federal government has supported “top-down mandates” that rob autonomy from state and local education authorities, taking aim at Obama-era regulations that Republicans have long sought to eliminate.

In an executive order, Trump granted DeVos authority to get rid of K-12 education regulations that don’t comport with federal law. A top U.S. Education Department official admitted, however, that DeVos already has this authority.

She already had the authority to do it, and Trump is ordering her to do it.

Trump orders DeVos to get rid of 'overreaching mandates' in schools

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

All of the EO's have been to start the ball rolling to keep promises and fix this country.
www.whitehouse.gov...

You have not seen the results yet, because most are just the first step.
Every one complies with the law, despite the views of a couple of liberal judges with an agenda attempting to twist the words.
Most are asking Congress and other departments to begin reviewing and reporting on various subjects to initiate legislation.
Trump has not attempted to make any laws with the EO's that are beyond the powers given to his office.

He has also enacted 28 laws by signing bills sent to him from Congress.

edit on 4/26/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

EO is not making a law. It is giving instructions to the departments regarding what they should do to review laws. How else is this going to happen?

I agree with Neo...I mean really this time, Trump is not qualified to make sweeping assumptions in the immediate, he can ask for reviews though. He should have consulted all round before even thinking of the, 'grand gesture' in a EO.
What a pillock.
edit on 26-4-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Too many effing EO's.

Work with congress.

One of the few things I disagree with you on. Trump's EO's are mostly about enforcing existing law, nothing wrong with that. And work with Congress? Democrats wouldn't agree with him if he said the sky is blue. And Establishment Republicans have no desire to improve America, only to improve their globalist and corporate masters. The only way anything positive will come out of Washington is if it is done by Trump.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Little late for me, as my wife and I have already switched ours to homeschooling... but good on the President for this!
Now if he could do something about breaking that damned agenda driven, failure perpetuating national teachers union we'd see some serious positive changes in the country's broken public education system.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I agree with Neo...I mean really this time, Trump is not qualified to make sweeping assumptions in the immediate, he can ask for reviews though. He should have consulted all round before even thinking of the, 'grand gesture' in a EO.
What a pillock.

Read this EO. That is exactly what he did, as he has done in most of his EO's.

He asked for a complete review of current Dept of Education regulations, and how they relate to federal law. He wants a full report.

This EO just got the ball rolling. It did not change any regulations with this EO, but it is a good first step.

The Secretary of Education does have the authority to change the Dept. of Education regulations.

Nothing in this EO is making law.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have to add, for this and all of the other threads about Trump EO's:

There seems to be a great deal of misinformation regarding the content, mostly driven by MSM.

I think a couple of judges have not even actually read them.

If you want to truly know what you are discussing, please READ the ACTUAL EO, paying attention to the wording.

Trump Executive Orders - Full Text

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

What a pillock.

Read this EO. That is exactly what he did, as he has done in most of his EO's.

He asked for a complete review of current Dept of Education regulations, and how they relate to federal law. He wants a full report.

This EO just got the ball rolling. It did not change any regulations with this EO, but it is a good first step.

The Secretary of Education does have the authority to change the Dept. of Education regulations.

Nothing in this EO is making law.

You read my post again.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I did.

Trump is using the EO to ask for the reviews that you mention. That is how to get it done. A request like that needs to be in writing to prompt action.
He states his goals, but he is not changing regulations.
After the reports and reviews he has requested, then official changes will be made.

And based on the wording in the EO's, I am sure that the subjects have already been discussed in great detail with all affected parties, including lawyers.
Trump did not just sit down with a pen and wing it.

edit on 4/26/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

a reply to: smurfy

I did.

Trump is using the EO to ask for the reviews that you mention. That is how to get it done. A request like that needs to be in writing to prompt action.
He states his goals, but he is not changing regulations.
After the reports and reviews he has requested, then official changes will be made.

And based on the wording in the EO's, I am sure that the subjects have already been discussed in great detail with all affected parties, including lawyers.
Trump did not just sit down with a pen and wing it.

YUh missed another bit!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join