It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New computers could delete thoughts without your knowledge, experts warn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Biomedical ethicists (didn't know there was such a creature) want new human rights laws to ensure people are protected from these new computers. These devises are capable of reading your mind and are accurate 70% of the time.

Now two biomedical ethicists are calling for the creation of new human rights laws to ensure people are protected, including “the right to cognitive liberty” and “the right to mental integrity”.
Scientists have already developed devices capable of telling whether people are politically right-wing or left-wing. In one experiment, researchers were able to read people’s minds to tell with 70 per cent accuracy whether they planned to add or subtract two numbers.

The good the bad and the ugly: This new tech is going to make paralyzed people walk, and type without key boards too. But the abuses these high tech machines are “unprecedented opportunities” for good and I imagine horribly terrible abuses.

And medical researchers have managed to connect part of a paralysed man’s brain to a computer to allow him to stimulate muscles in his arm so he could move it and feed himself.

The ethicists, writing in a paper in the journal Life Sciences, Society and Policy, stressed the “unprecedented opportunities” that would result from the “ubiquitous distribution of cheaper, scalable and easy-to-use neuro-applications” that would make neurotechnology “intricately embedded in our everyday life”.
However, such devices are open to abuse on a frightening degree, as the academics made clear.

The key to the story is that there needs to be some protection from unauthorized intrusions into a person’s mental well being using the nanotechnology. Scary brave world, we cattle are going to be exploited in ways we could not dream of 15 years ago.

“We suggest that in response to emerging neurotechnology possibilities, the right to mental integrity should not exclusively guarantee protection from mental illness or traumatic injury but also from unauthorised intrusions into a person’s mental wellbeing performed through the use of neurotechnology, especially if such intrusions result in physical or mental harm to the neurotechnology user,” the ethicists wrote.

edit on 26-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
They should be using that tech on artificial limb replacement.

That is the direction it should be going.

Like any all powerful technology.

If it can be abused.

It will be abused.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm uncomfortable with people setting themselves up as moral authorities under the guise of being "ethicists." I'm not sure I trust them any more than any random person who has an opinion. Opinions are okay; I'm not disturbed by that, but I'm not sure the opinions of these guys are any better than those of anyone else.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I think I would be more concerned about these computers being "hacked".

If they can read you thoughts......

Huh, who would want that information?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Ghost in the shell anyone?

In this post-cyberpunk iteration of a possible future, computer technology has advanced to the point that many members of the public possess cyberbrains, technology that allows them to interface their biological brain with various networks.

Wiki

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Or worse, what if you use a computer to control parts of your body that were once paralyzed. What if someone hacks into that machine?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sort of like going out on Saturday night and drinking till closing time, then going to a party? Yeah, I am trying to forget those times in my past, what I can remember of them anyway.

You do not need technology to destroy memories

edit on 26-4-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I am concerned about both.

Corporations can and have done horrible things around the globe in search the constant profit growth.

Hackers do things for all sorts of reasons.

This is going to be an interesting slow motion disaster to watch.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Sometimes.....

I wish the sun would set us free again... a few powerful EMP's a few hours apart ... ( we don't want half the earth out.. )

I wonder if ATS is prepared and has typewriters and pigeons ready to continue.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Scientists have already developed devices capable of telling whether people are politically right-wing or left-wing.

Heres the or worse part.

Turn right wingers in to left wingers.

Left wingers in to right wingers.

Transpoliticism if you will.
edit on 26-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If they set these things up with wifi, I'd rather be paralyzed. Think of it, you could literally be made an automaton.

The idea of the ethicists bringing this issue up is interesting as well. Anyone who labels themselves such are usually academics. They study these issues in depth and simply make suggestions. They have no legislative authority.

On a related note, I was recently listening to an interview with an ethicist talking about self-driving cars. There will be times when these cars will be faced with no-win decisions. For example, the car will be forced to hit one car or another. Or, may be forced to chose between hitting an object and a pedestrian. This decision will not be made ad hoc. It will be in the programming. Who should have the right to make that decision? Some computer nerd programer? Some greedy auto-exec? Some moronic state legislature?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Maybe we'll all end up like Will Caster, from Transcendence.

Times sure are weird with everything going on in the world. One has to think, other than medical purposes

And medical researchers have managed to connect part of a paralysed man’s brain to a computer to allow him to stimulate muscles in his arm so he could move it and feed himself.

Why? I can think of many other underlying reasons as to why something like this has been developed.

hmmm?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

I sure hope not.

That was a god awful movie.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

LOL yeah, it was bizarre

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Yes someone will have to make the decision right now it is the licensed driver.

After the lawsuits, we will have a workable system in place.

Who should have the right to make that decision? Some computer nerd programer? Some greedy auto-exec? Some moronic state legislature?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Link is dead

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills
Here is another link.
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

New computers could delete thoughts without your knowledge, experts warn

I think that machine is already in operation and beaming the "delete ray" at quite a few ATS members and even some mods.

I feel even I have fallen victim to this despicable new technology. For some reason they stole all my thoughts about Ted Nugent. WTF!!!

Thank God they still left me most of my thoughts about.......??? Those fiends even got those as well!!

edit on 26-4-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Why Ted?

Ted Nugent.
a reply to: olaru12

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Why Ted?

Ted Nugent.
a reply to: olaru12

God only knows....