It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China launches 2nd aircraft carrier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Ok so China has finished and launched its first domestically produced carrier making it the second one in their fleet. I suppose they were eventually going to get around to it at some point. Any chance they will use it to patrol near Taiwan?

Xinhua
China's second aircraft carrier is transferred from dry dock into the water at a launch ceremony in Dalian shipyard of the China Shipbuilding Industry Corp. in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province, April 26, 2017. The new carrier, the first domestically-built one, came after the Liaoning, a refitted former Soviet Union-made carrier that was put into commission in the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army in 2012. (Xinhua/Li Gang)

The new carrier is slightly larger than the Liaoning, China’s first aircraft carrier, constructed by the Soviet Union as a Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier and refitted by the Chinese. The new carrier weighs 70,000 tons and is 315 meters long and 75 meters wide, South China Morning Post reported.

RT
The carrier, however, is not expected to fully enter service until 2020, as it will reportedly take years to install all the equipment and conduct the necessary tests and trials.

The launch of the new vessel which has been referred to as CV-17 comes amid renewed tensions between North Korea and the United States in the region amid Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile programs.

Photos of the new vessel indicate that the ship has a ski jump and angled flight deck. Earlier reports also suggested that the ship’s hangars were built large enough to accommodate between 28 to 36 aircraft onboard.

This video is a movie long spectacle from a domestic media outlet pretty much covering everything about it in Chinese.

I feel it is possible that they are going to send their first carrier on global missions now since they have one at home just in case.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

They're years away from sending them out around the world. They're still developing doctrine, and training crews. It takes a long time to develop a new doctrine and work the bugs out of how to use something. They're working on becoming a true blue water navy, and this is a big step, but they're not going to be effective for awhile yet.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Well I figured five years has been enough time to equip and run tests through the Soviet remix they had put into commission in 2012. Perhaps not ready to engage a rival well established navy, but surely ready for some mild force projection or humanitarian mission?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Five years is about how long it will take to get in commission, and start full operations. They might be able to send it out on humanitarian missions, but to do more than that would require more time to really train up their crews and all the other requirements. They still are working on developing aircraft for them as well, and need a good AEW platform for them.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hmmm. Oriental cars have slanted headlights. This Chinese carrier has a slanted deck.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

In a few decades as US influence wane in Asia, the ChiComs will dominate Asia and establish a new Chinese empire.
edit on 4/26/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Five years is about how long it will take to get in commission, and start full operations. They might be able to send it out on humanitarian missions, but to do more than that would require more time to really train up their crews and all the other requirements. They still are working on developing aircraft for them as well, and need a good AEW platform for them.

Just curious Zaph, who would train them ??

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It's a nice looking ship.
I wonder how many aircraft it can carry.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Themselves. That's one reason it would take so long. They're having to figure out a lot of the lessons on their own.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: scubagravy

Themselves. That's one reason it would take so long. They're having to figure out a lot of the lessons on their own.

If that is the case, i cant see their navy being a threat for sometime, exactly what you said.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Presume this is diesel powered?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Well, Im not sure. I will have to look that up. Sure would be a waste to have a diesel powered carrier.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Oil is just as important to the Chinese manufacturing as it is to our economy. So let the Chinese keep the oil flowing in the middle east. Who made the USA the world's police force. At some point, America has to become our primary focus of problem solving.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Who made the US the world police? The fact that we are the sole superpower.

This is a stupid statement that I feel needs to be addressed.
I won't tiptoe around it. The US is an Empire. We reign dominate. As a result, we can do whatever we want. This is the world as it currently is.

Will the US power wane? Yes, but as an American citizen, I'll see to it that US dominance continues to thrive regardless.

The top nation has to be the US because we aren't one people, rather one out of many. As a result, a multi cultural nation almost always wins in that context.

As for Chinas aircraft carrier, good for them. They want what we have and are making an effort to reach for our position. By the time they have a full navy, I'm curious to see where are Navy will be at.

However, China is cooling down fast and the very issue we have here on outsourcing is happening to them now as nations shift from china to india. This was expected, let the poor nation work its people for the greater world expectations and get rich. Once the standard of living is established and workers look beyond menial task of toy productions and better pay, the industrial base moves on. This is currently happening in china.
Why is this relevant? The cash flow at its height had given china the ability to put cash into every sector of its economy, now its slowing being pulled that.

Analysist have long insisted that chinas rapid rise wasn't going to last, this makes me wonder about their plans for the future. Push out whatever you can while you have the cash to do it.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

the new carrier is based on the Soviet Kuznetsov class design, with a ski jump-style deck for taking off and a conventional oil-fueled steam turbine power plant.

I'm sure their version of an at-sea nuke plant would make even the Chinese nervous.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The only nuclear powered carrier outside the US Navy is the French Charles de Gaulle. And they have had all kinds of problems with it over the years.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

What the Chinese are lacking in carrier groups they have begun to make up for with the type 093B "Shang" and more recently the 094A "Jin" classes of submarine. The total fleet size is relatively small (five or seven boats? I have to double check that) but they can be compared almost directly to the USN Los Angeles class fast attack subs. Still enough to inflict some serious damage when you consider the weapons they're packing

Even with those the US Navy Ohio class boats are the stuff of nightmares for the Chinese and Russian sailors... The Trident boomers are arguably the most devastating pieces of military equipment every created by mankind. When it comes to naval technology our boys reign supreme. We've got ten carriers sailing the big blue and two or three more under construction.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
China is just on the tip of the iceberg with developing a real naval armada with global projection. They are still decades away from becoming of any real concern of enforcing their "sphere of influence" upon the world.

It looks cute though. They can finally put up a real local defense of their waters.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join