It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife Experts : Found this one,....any clue ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I went hunting (metal detecting) this morning for couple of hours, just when I was getting tired of detecting old nails and junk, I found this one. Seems old and right next to it I also found the piece of metal you see in the first pic.

I'm not sure if it's part of the knife, could it be a sort of bayonet or just a kitchen knife someone forgot in a picnic ? So...., what do you think?

It wasn't too deep, about 3 or 4 inches deep.

Here is a reference for the size :

The other face :

edit on 23-4-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

A location, area you were 'hunting' in would be a good start for us.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

A park in Nutley, New Jersey.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Simple 60's kitchen knife buried in the yard, but why?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Well, the area does have some history, obviously.

But, from the look of the last photo, it does resemble a kitchen knife. Bayonets usually have no handle. So that rules it out.
And kitchen knives are generally held together by a handle with some sort of rivet formation. My guess, a common kitchen knife.

Now, what was it doing in a park!?

link   
I am no expert...

But the handle makes me think of a butcher knife in the kitchen...

all the military grade knives I own back to early ww2 (hence me saying I am no expert) have a different design for the handle.

link   
My guess would be a hand scythe or cabbage knife.

You made me want to dust off the detectors my son and I have.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Because the parents that owned the knife had kids a lot like mine.....take it, and leave it where you last used it.a reply to: Naturallywired

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I was going to say bayonets don't have handles too.

Anyway, it could still have been in a battle...
a culinary war.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Ya know I almost bought a metal detector off amazon the other day too. I could not make a decision? I only have about $60. Any help would be appreciated. See this could be my post also. never know you might find.

S&F

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That would be creepy if you found a old murder weapon seeing as you found it in the park. Might want to let the cops have a look at it, may solve a old crime or get a innocent person out of jail or something. I know it is a reach, but stranger things have happened.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm no expert so not going to try and guess the knife.. Just wanted to say cool find

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262I know that, thanks. But the OP said what 4-5 ft of soil. I wonder what the date of soil accumulation for this area is? It be nice if there was a chart somewhere to determine the actual possible age of this artifact? I personally would would like someone to come along with answers that would school me.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Not a bayonet.

It would be longer and thinner.

I lean toward kitchen knife.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yeah..., I kind of agree with you guys. Now..., how old it could be?

Not sure if a 60's knife would be deteriorated and bent at that point. the remaining part of the handle is made of metal too, no wood (I forgot to mention it). I wish I could have a pic to compare it with.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
Ya know I almost bought a metal detector off amazon the other day too. I could not make a decision? I only have about $60. Any help would be appreciated. See this could be my post also. never know you might find.

S&F

I really hope you can buy it soon. Nothing like uncover history with your own hands

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Yeah..., I kind of agree with you guys. Now..., how old it could be?

Not sure if a 60's knife would be deteriorated and bent at that point. the remaining part of the handle is made of metal too, no wood (I forgot to mention it). I wish I could have a pic to compare it with.

Do not let shape of an artifact fool you.

I used to volunteer for digs. My first dig we found a completely intact glass bottle from 1700's. But usually they are all broken or in pieces.
I've found some cutlery after washed to be almost new because of it's surrounding artifacts changing the soils chemical makeup.

To get a clear picture, there are literally hundreds of factors at play. Hence why archaeology is a science.
edit on 23-4-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I have no idea, but I look forward to your finds, thank you for taking the time to post.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Many detectorists had found old knifes, it's like one of the goals. You know...., first wheat penny, first gold object, first horseshoe...., it's like rank up for video gamers.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

This is the thread that Trueman wrote about his rig. Perhaps save a little while longer and get the same?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join