It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a plan in Congress to start charging troops for their GI Bill benefits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I served 2003 to 2007 they took 100$ out a month back then for GI bill. So I'm kindof confused as to what has changed? Fun fact it's only good for 10 years so mine just recently went POOF lol .

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
After reading more of the posts, I had no idea. When my husband and brothers were in Viet Nam, the benefits were for free. After Nam I think they went matching funds. I don't understand why we keep making war if we can't afford it. I believe it must be part of the big plan of purging any federal funded agencies for private agencies. It makes sense now why congress won't declare wars anymore.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kali74

No.

No more than when you get a credit card and it has a limit.

And, of course, having the government involved in the market in the first place is anti-capitalist because the government is not constrained by the same constraints as an actual business. Government, as we can see by the existence of an every growing debt and deficit, can operate in the red with impunity. It has no shareholders it is actually beholden to in any meaningful way, does not have produce any actual return on its investments, and when it needs more money, it can always legally steal it from existing private sources like you, me, and private business interests in the form of ever increasing taxation.

No private business can play by those rules and actually expect to stay in business.

This is why government entering any market always distorts it so badly.

Whether it's loans, or subsidizing budgets as they used to, college educations simply aren't viable without them. We always talk about forcing the universities to cut costs, but what exactly are they supposed to cut? Thinking about the program I'm in right now for example:
120k average professor salary. That works out to about 12k per class taught. 25 students per class, that's $480 that I'm paying for instruction in a semester, approximately $30/week, which gets me around 20 minutes of personal instruction time, some group time, and graded assignments. All in all, a reasonable rate.

$480 is my share, times a typical 44 classes needed to graduate, that's $21,120 in instruction time. Lab equipment comes to two high end computers per person. That's another $5000. Now throw in maintenance costs to the building, water, and electricity. My share of that is likely around $100/month, that's another $5000. We're already up to $31,000 just to cover the basics. No administation, no expansion, no renovation, no library service, no parking, no transportation, no dorms. And I'm in a low COL area. It will be higher in civilized parts of the US.

The numbers suggest that we can't bring down the cost of a college education by very much. My school typically runs 40k for 4 years, it's quite cheap (which is why I attend). The basics cover over 3/4 of that. Where is the fat to be cut?

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh my goodness, pay for something? no way!

How about this:

Soldiers can enlist and pay $100 a month for 12 months. Then when they get out they get a four year free college education.

*If they go to combat they don't have to pay the money and they still get college education.

Worked for me

BTW - I didn't go to war until nine years after I finished paying for my "free" college. But I am retired now with an Associates and working towards a Bachelors. With the Vocational Rehabilitation program you can even get a Masters depending on age and state. Not to shabby for a $1200 investment.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was in service from 1987 to 1992 and we had to pay for the GI bill then, so it sounds like they're just going back to the way it was before 911.

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Old news

Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits are available for servicemembers to help with education and training costs, you can become eligible if you are an active duty member who enrolls and pay $100 per month for 12 months. You are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once you have completed a minimum service obligation.

On to the HOAX Bin please

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the Republicans are dismantling the one thing from Bush jr's Presidency that I'm 100% on board with or that there are people in this thread defending this lunacy...

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kobear
I served 2003 to 2007 they took 100$ out a month back then for GI bill. So I'm kindof confused as to what has changed? Fun fact it's only good for 10 years so mine just recently went POOF lol .

I served from 2003 to 2006 and this happened:
Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

Elimination of the $1,200 program enrollment fee paid by the veteran at the beginning of military service currently required by the Montgomery G.I. Bill. There is also a one-time payment of additional assistance, paid concurrently with the disbursement of the final month of benefits, which refunds either all or portions of the original $1,200 enrollment fee; the refund amount depends both on the amount contributed, up to $1,200, multiplied by the percentile balance of remaining benefits when electing to convert to Chapter 33.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96is military spending out of control yes but don't tax our boys and girls for serving.a lot of the military blot in in civilian paper pushers and admin giving gov jobs and salaries and benefits alot of these bureaucrats are not needed cut them loose and if you need this work done give it to someone in uniform alot of soldiers are kicked out because they are injured but still want to serve but can't because of injury but could easily type and fie paperwork and do office work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join