It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's a plan in Congress to start charging troops for their GI Bill benefits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Military Times

This is beyond outrageous. Thankfully it's only a draft at the moment but it's coming from the Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. Why does America so consistently fail its Veterans? Did we not agree as a nation that people that serve in the military especially in combat would be taken care of when they get home?

Unlike the older Montgomery GI Bill benefit, the post-9/11 GI Bill does not require any fees or pay reductions for eligibility. The new proposal would change that, taking up to $100 a month from new enlistees’ paychecks for the right to access the benefit after they leave the ranks.

“It’s infinitely more difficult to get rid of or cut the GI Bill if troops have paid into that benefit,” said Will Hubbard, vice president of government affairs for Student Veterans of America. “This is about how we can make the GI Bill protected and buffered against budget fights for years to come.”

How about just making it freaking inaccessible for any other purpose. Greedy assholes.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's the econonomic plan we voted for. I apologize to our vets. But a lot of them voted for conservatives and Trump.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From your link:

The money collected would amount to a fraction of the overall cost of the veterans education benefit.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Any amount is too much.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Many young enlisted troops have to go on food stamps as it is if they have a family. Taking another $100 a month is going to make it even worse.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Jesus Fing Christo...

What's next, they gonna charge soldiers for the ammunition they use on the battle field?

D!ck heads.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm not sure this will ever get off the ground. We love our Vets and any Representative will see this as political suicide if they back it. Beyond that...Why is this guy heading Vet affairs? We should have an actual Vet in that seat, not some lifelong politician.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Some may even agree with it but I think it's disgusting.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Simple solution: Cut funding to the likes of Berkely and instead use that money towards GI benefits.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Remember when they had to buy their own body armor?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Quick google says he served in the Army Medical Corp.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

That is not a solution.

40K Students attend Berkeley, you want to punish all of them for the actions of the few?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

No.

Just, no.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Hang on....my mistake. I was looking at Jeff Miller, the Chair of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee.
edit on 22-4-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Why not ?

Everytime military haters say cut defense this topic is the face of it, and many like it.

Troops under paid, on welfare the list goes on.

Same reason American troops went in to Iraq without body armor.

Same dman reason for PMC's like Blackwater.

Cause=Effect.

Rather Ironic being a us servicemen is the only government job that doesn't pay well.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Dr. Phil Roe is the Chairman that is proposing this.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I served five years in the navy. Didn't do much. Spent three watching dials move and hearing a loud bang and two cleaning the #ers. I still do as a porter at a travel plaza. (FYI you humans treat public restrooms in a way no human would do if it was their own. You know who are. And you should be ashamed.)

Any ways, I truly don't feel entitled to my bill. I feel it takes from those who truly deserve it and actually put their live on the line. If that passes I won't ever. But I'll most likely won't either way.

I'm very positive it won't pass.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Per usual, you fail at understanding wtf people say. Cut the defense budget, our military surplus is out of control, cut down on defense contractors those are jobs that out military personnel should be getting, reduce the black budget. Never cut active duty or vet benefits... in fact they should be increased.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

As usual some people never read.

The GI BILL program is hemorrhaging money.

Partying like its 1999 is the problem to begin with.

That BILL is a band aid at best.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Jesus, a 100 a month? I remember I paid a one time fee, about 1000 if I remember right.

Thanks Trump and the GOP! Scummmmmbagsss!!!!!!!!!

We got money for days to fuel more war and teh MIC, give tax cuts for the wealthy but everyone else is constantly being screwed.

Trump and the GOP, along with establishment Dem's, all of you will rot in Hell!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join