It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please advise on natural solutions to 'systemic' acne in 19 yr old daughter..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hi all,

Forgive me for making this as brief as possible, am dealing with horrific chronic fatigue/brain fog myself - if it's not one thing it's another, right?

Anyway, nothing my daughter has been trying for her acne has worked, and I am hesitant to take her to a dermatologist, as I know the first thing they will likely go to will be a course of those harsh, damaging antibiotics which I've read terrible things about..

I only just realized yesterday that the acne is not only on my daughter's face (also, there's something about it that looks different to 'regular' teenage acne), but also her upper back and shoulders.

Consequently, I am relatively certain that this is a 'systemic' problem causing the acne -
- the thing is, my daughter has always been so naturally healthy! Eats healthily, hardly ever gets sick - in the 19 years since birth, she's only been on antibiotics once, and hasn't needed to go to the doctor for anything since before High School..

I'm desperate to try and find a natural solution to this - we've tried a few supplements - dandelion root, astaxanthin, and a special 'acne' vitamin/mineral with sulfur that was recommended at the health food store..but no luck..

Any advice would be greatly welcome - though to be honest -
- the simpler the better, because she is in college and working, as well as tending to being a bit on the lazy side -
- so 'follow thru' can be an issue...
...and she's never been a 'girly-girl', so is not greatly motivated by concern with how she 'looks'

many thanks!

edit on 22-4-2017 by lostgirl because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Honey and apple cider vinegar are great natural remedies to acne, although a dermatologist would be better to seek out if it's spreading

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Add some zinc to the diet. It is in some creams too. There are supplements, even taking a fifty percent RDA pill will probably give enough zinc. Zinc and Magnesium and copper compete for absorbtion, so try to take them at separate times.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
With something you describe as "different", she should see a doctor.
At least you will know if it's just normal acne or something else.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's tough, sorry to hear the news. My first thought was did she start (new) birth control along that time? A friend of my gf back in the teen days started on the pill and got acne seemingly our of nowhere. She was 17 I believe.
Acne and birth control
I wonder if the affliction is cystic acne? Here are some natural suggestions if so. You mentioned healthy diet, perhaps trying 30-60 days vegan regimen? If you live near beach, I have heard salt water can refresh skin and combat acne.

Best wishes

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I have only read about this recently, so I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness personally, but blue light therapy is said to clear up acne. There are "masks" available, to focus blue light to kill the bacteria causing the acne, with red light to reduce swelling.

Light Therapy for Acne Treatment

There are also blue lightbulbs available to plug into a lamp socket:

Blue Light Bulb

And FYI the blue light is said to disrupt sleep, whereas the red light is said to help sleep, so she should keep that in mind if she tries it.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Have you tried hemp oil/cannabis oils, etc? Considering it's available in your area of course. I'm hearing some good things though haven't tried it myself for skin issues.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Please forgive me not replying individually -

Thanks everyone for responding, I knew I would get excellent advice once I managed to get a thread posted!

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm a 31 year old mother of 2 and I still occasionally get acne. Talk about embarrassing.

I came to the conclusion over the years that about 80% of my pimples ( face, neck, chest, back, and yes even the occasional butt cheek) are caused by dry skin. My skin was dry so my body was producing more oils and therefore I ended up with more pimples, add in sweating for any reason and I looked like a pepperoni pizza.

Drink more water and find a non comedogenic lotion ( like cetaphil or aveeno, or whatever you prefer) and apply it daily. I started doing that and within about a weeks time you could see an improvement.

wash face in shower or at sink and pat dry, wait a few minutes to air out and then apply a thin layer of lotion.

Good Luck!

I have 12 year old who has started the wonderful adventure of pimples. Boy is he in for a hell of a time.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Burdock root has been a go to herb for acne...i believe alot of acne to be related to undiscovered food allergies.

Try cutting out dairy, wheat , corn, soy one at a time and see if there is improvement...if you can afford it go to a naturopath or other practitioner and have her tested for food allergies.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I had some bad acne as a teen.
Thought it would go away as I got older, but continued out of highschool into my 20's.
I started running, and lifting moderate weights, which got me into healthy eating and downing tons of water.

It cleared up soon after that. Not sure if it was me getting older, or me becoming overly active at the gym. But there must have been a correlation. Also, I had two warts on one of my feet, they went away as well. My theory is that it was healthy eating, lots of water, and the physical activity caused my body to pump blood around my body more efficiently.
Just an experience of mine.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I think diet is a good thing to look at. Just be careful. Snake oil salesmen.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I knew a girl who had horrid acne.
She used that infomercial stuff - Proactive. Looks like a new person.
Sure it's probably harsh on the skin, but you gotta do what works

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The best advice i can give you is to go see a dermatologist and use the prescription medication he gives you. If this is your daughters face we are talking about, i can't imagine anything more important to her. Do not fail her in an attempt to appear green friendly. there is no natural remedy that is better than a prescription program set up by an actual doctor. You should never ask for medical advice from anyone on the internet.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I would have her give ionic silver a try. You can find it in a gel in drugstores these days. It has no odor or color so can be easily applied. It doesn't have the horrible side-effects of long-term antibiotic use.

Stress is one of the major factors in acne since stress causes hormone imbalances and that throws the entire system off kilter. But telling a college student to reduce stress is pretty useless so treating the symptoms in this case may be the only way to go until such time that her stress is reduced.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Sun and salt water. I had the worst acne in school until I started surfing...went to dermatologists a number of times and nothing worked. A month of surfing and it was completely gone.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Your first port of call is to a doctor who can then advise on a dermatologist. What you need to find out is what type of acne your daughter is afflicted with? From there you can decide through proper medical advice what steps and medications can be taken. Get informed, and make a choice from that position. Find out the 'what, before the 'how'.

Steps you can take while you seek medical advice is to reduce sugar intake, and reduce oily secretions from the pores. Ensure her pores are clean and open. I used to have acne as a teen, but I used a brand called 'Clearasil' after I washed, and over time the acne cleared up.

Check that any make up she is using is not oil or greased based. It may take a lifestyle change to combat her acne, but it will eventually go.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hi lostgirl,

As a male who suffered with acne during my late teens up until about a year ago, I have a few suggestions that have helped me tremendously. The problem is, every person reacts to certain dietary and topical solutions differently, as well as hormonal changes, so there's no one "fix-all" solution. It really can be tough to figure out what is triggering your acne, as there's so many variables, but I hope the following can be of some assistance to your daughter;

- For me, I noticed the biggest improvements from dietary changes. I cut out all processed foods and fizzy drinks; instead opting for natural foods dense in nutrients. Your daughter should try to eat foods that assist the skin in repair and maintenance, foods rich in Vitamins A, C, E & K, Omegas 3 & 6, Mono-saturated Fats, Zinc, antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. Some of these also contribute to a healthy immune system, which is an often overlooked aspect to combating acne. Zinc deficiency can also lead to acne, so it's worth investigating that aspect.

- What this means for my diet personally is, eating lots of sweet potatoes, kale, broccoli, fish, berries, carrots, avocados, red peppers and nuts, but there's many other nutrient rich foods out there, so it's just about doing your homework and finding out what you like.

- I cut out dairy. This isn't something everyone should do, but it was certainly a contributing factor for me. Instead I drink almond or hemp milk, both of which I enjoy very much. I also started drinking Rooibos tea, as it's rich with antioxidants, and green tea for my caffeine kick. I count this towards my daily water intake, but it's always good to have just water on it's own. Water assists greatly in flushing out toxins from the body.

- Your daughter may also want to be mindful of how what she is eating is affecting her blood sugar levels. Spikes in blood sugar ultimately lead to an increase in activity in your oil glands, which in turn can contribute to acne. Eating a balanced diet inclusive of low GI foods (of which many of the above I listed are), can help you maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and therefore healthier skin.

- Now, this isn't anything personal, but the way we wash can also have an effect on our skin. People think having a hot steamy shower is a good way to clean ourselves. In fact, I think it's the opposite, especially for those with acne. Having a quick warm shower is great, but washing your face twice a day and moisturising is key. As another member posted, dry skin can clog pores leading to acne, so using a gentle face wash, followed by a non-comedogenic moisturiser (non-comedogenic meaning it won't block your pores) is really best practice.

- My final point would be, to be patient. If your daughter changes an aspect of her diet, or a certain wash regime or whatever, she shouldn't expect to see results the next day. A problem with some people is, if they don't see results quick, they give up, which can mean they're giving up on the potential "cure", for lack of a better word. I didn't see changes until after a month, but once I did, it spurred me to keep going, and ultimately become essentially acne free.

Anyway, I hope at least some of the above can help your daughter. I can attest to the fact that you CAN overcome acne. A lot of people think acne isn't so bad, and that people who get depressed over their acne are somewhat over-exaggerating. But the truth is, apart from being potentially very painful, it can also be a sign that that there's a bigger health issue that needs to be addressed. Whether it be hormonal, or dietary - addressing acne can lead to becoming an overall healthier person.

Because I addressed my acne problem, I now eat right and exercise often, which has had a significant effect on my health, and I just have more confidence now to get out there and do stuff, y'know. I know it sounds silly, but it certainly has changed my life.

Best of luck

P.S - sorry for the essay, I just realised how much I wrote
edit on 22-4-2017 by DeusInAbsentia because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2017 by DeusInAbsentia because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2017 by DeusInAbsentia because: Spelling (as always)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Not a "natural" remedy, but the back stuff can be helped by regular application of a typical first aid antibiotic cream, and also the acne pads. Takes regular attention, but it can help. Know someone with that issue, and that's what works for him. Honestly, I don't know of any sort of natural remedy, and suspect that some antibiotics might be needed in such a case. The acne itself could end up damaging, if not cleared. Not the info you wanted, I know, but best advice I have is to see a professional.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
Sun and salt water. I had the worst acne in school until I started surfing...went to dermatologists a number of times and nothing worked. A month of surfing and it was completely gone.

I'd echo Flatcoat's response here, but with a slight caveat:

Sun is great; vitamin D can contribute to healthy skin for sure. However, if you suffer from acne, and don't apply the necessary SPF protection when spending extended periods of time in direct sunlight, you can actually make acne scarring darker and therefore more prominent on the skin, and that's the last thing you want.

Just something to be aware of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join