It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cool project. how to make an eternal terrarium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
this looks awesome. going to make a few of these with my daughter.
wanted to pass it on....easy. cheap. fun.

after 3 months

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
and a big version

my daughter and i are going to walk around the trails at the nature center to get our inhabitants for our project.

going to be fun

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Awesome, man. Have fun!
I'll have to try this with my boy.
Maybe you could upload a pic when you're done?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Awesome, man. Have fun!
I'll have to try this with my boy.
Maybe you could upload a pic when you're done?

ok i will. my wife has to work all day tomorrow so my daughter and i are going to the trail. there are little streams there. i should be able to get everything. it is still a bit cold but we have had a lot of rain and some nice days in the 70's so there should be dome stuff growing.
im going to get one of those mason jars with the latch and seal so i can open it. im hoping to find some ants. then i can feed them and add some things if my hunt does not go well.

ill probably make a lightbulb one tomorrow with just plants and soil/rocks.

what would be the best thing to put in there for ants?
i dont want to buy special # like flukers but i should be able to put in whatever right?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Going to be dead and grey goo quickly..
No oxygen or sunlight

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

One thing that helps to keep mold and other nasty things away are springtails, you can buy em online.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Hey, I have no idea about that kind of stuff (not my specialty lol)
but I did a quick search and found this:
www.reddit.com...-comments
Let us know what happens

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Going to be dead and grey goo quickly..
No oxygen or sunlight

thanks for crushing my dreams

i figured it wont be eternal. no big deal. going to be fun

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Don't give up yet!

40 years and counting...

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Ummm...that looks like a lot of fun...It's been a long time since I made a terrarium...

I would go with the large size...also don't use any grass species like in the video and stick with naturally diminutive plant species...

Another thing to avoid are colonizing insect species...they will overrun their environment...like us peeps...

I used to do a lot of bonsai...with multiple tree species...Oak...maple...cedar...
I even had a white birch grove...birch trees are colony organisms...they are clones which share a common root structure...
They also communicate with and support one another through chemical exchange...much like the organs and cellular structure of yourself...and I...

I miss my Bonsai...thank you for reminding me how much enjoyment I gained from their care...

I'm heading out into the woods soon...thanks to you...to find some suitable specimens...
Some nice ornamental trees would do this place some good...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...that looks like a lot of fun...It's been a long time since I made a terrarium...

I would go with the large size...also don't use any grass species like in the video and stick with naturally diminutive plant species...

Another thing to avoid are colonizing insect species...they will overrun their environment...like us peeps...

I used to do a lot of bonsai...with multiple tree species...Oak...maple...cedar...
I even had a white birch grove...birch trees are colony organisms...they are clones which share a common root structure...
They also communicate with and support one another through chemical exchange...much like the organs and cellular structure of yourself...and I...

I miss my Bonsai...thank you for reminding me how much enjoyment I gained from their care...

I'm heading out into the woods soon...thanks to you...to find some suitable specimens...
Some nice ornamental trees would do this place some good...

YouSir

Thanks for the post TST.

Also watching the 40-year-old virgin plant, was sent of into the imagination when the narrator mentioned how the plant had created it's own micro-environment, like Yousir: was also brought to remember other instances of plant intelligence.
Like a recent ATS post where the mentions how a tree's roots search for water using sound. And the vast underground networks of some types of plants and fungi.

Oh: and also a recent post about how brambles entrap sheep, and other animals, and then the plant profits from an enriched soil for a couple of years.
Seems similar to the better-known carnivorous plants. Quite amazing!!!

If we were to redefine intelligence: vegetable-intelligence must be considered.
edit on 23-4-2017 by Nothin because: Brambles

new topics

top topics

join