It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cycling 'almost halves risk of cancer and heart disease'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome

originally posted by: rexsblues
Sorry cyclists, but I've got to say this... I can understand if you live in a city or a large coumminty where it's the norm and there's bike lanes.

But... If you're one of these cyclists who enjoy taking your bike out to the country on the weekends and ride on the windy highways you're a damn moron and you're just askin for it. And you're in fact endangering motorists lives as well...

I live in the mountains and see these spandex clad idiots clogging up dangerous two lane roads all the time. I've seen a head on collision between two cars caused by a cyclists who just rode away. I once grazed a guy on a bike with my passenger side mirror on a two lane 55mph state highway with no shoulder, cliff on one side, 80 ft drop to a river on the other, in a blind turn with a semi-truck coming towards me in the other lane. Hmmmmmm... let me see here, head on with a semi-truck or clip a dumbass cyclists?

Ever since then, every time I see them on these roads I through whatever trash I have in truck my at them, and tell em to 'get the fk off the road!'

Just my way of saving lives.

Lots of cyclist are packing these days you should be careful.
By the way your jealous and a looser.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
For anyone thinking about it, the cycling community is generally a pretty solid bunch. There are some extremely competitive people but there's also a lot of folks who remember what it was like to be a beginner. 'Nobody gets dropped' groups aren't hard to find and are more the norm than an exception. And if you like to compete, there's all that you want. lol

Absolutely nothing wrong with going it alone either, wear a helmet and take a phone. Everyplace is different I guess but as far as road riding goes I ride in farmland and 99.8% of people in motor vehicles are more than decent.

Mountain biking is a total hoot but I'm not going to try to kid anyone, it's tough on real trails. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it's not the easiest way to start (although it's how I started).

And lastly, I ride about 100 road miles a week unless the weather is really crappy. Might seem like a lot to a beginner but it's really not much trouble.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hmmm. Ride a bike on our road and get hit by a car or eat more strawberries........I think I will eat more strawberries. www.sciencedaily.com...

I wouldn't let my kids and grandkids ride out here, actually very few people ride a bike on this curvy road. The road leads to a bunch of camps and people go out there and drink and have BBQs all the time. We would bring the kids into town so they could ride around. People walk out here but they go way on the shoulder when traffic comes. The sun also makes it hard to see when it hits the windshield certain times of the day, people living her know that and at those times there are very few walkers. They know how it interacts with the windshield. People here are actually aware of these things.
edit on 20-4-2017 by rickymouse because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It isn't cycling so much as it is just being in shape. I was a pretty hardcore BMX racer back in the day and raced on a national level in expert class. I've always loved bikes of all kinds. Nowadays the only biking I really do is hopping on my beach cruiser to ride 10 minutes to my office.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

My father had an hearth stroke while cycling and he is a regular cyclist.

Just saying.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Hybrids are fine for road cycling...

I got tired of dodging motorists. Now it's off road only.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Lucky to have 40-50 miles of beautiful wooded bike trails right behind my home.
I try to do at least 10 miles a day.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

There is no study linked to the newspaper article.

Yet you all get excited and congratulate yourself on your "healthy" cycling. Do you even know what how much 46 % drop in CHD really is for your age group. Do you even know what a 45 % drop in risk of cancer for your age group is.

Are you aware that while 45 % may be considered statistically significant (as in mathematically), in terms of effect on health, it is not signigicant at all.

Studies of this nature (is there an actual study or did the news report simply take the drs word for it) are used to identify areas of potential research direction. In short, observational or epidimiology, is used to test a hypothesis. Does cycling reduce the risk of heart attacks and cancer? If the result isn't at least a 200 % difference (even 300 or 400 %), the null hypothesis is discarded and further hard scientific research is considered unnecessary.

Studies of this nature are paid for by special interest groups. In this case, I suspect that supporters of the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming are looking to support their intent to get people out of their cars.

I can't find the actual study (no links) or who funded it.

Excuse me if I don't get real excited about cycling in traffic as a "health" booster

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

a reply to: eletheia

I've been cycling for around 3 years and not once did I have an accident with a car... I did however have an accident with a pedestrian who wasn't looking when he sprinted out into the cycle lane to catch his bus.

Did you get done for dangerous riding

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

a reply to: eletheia

I've been cycling for around 3 years and not once did I have an accident with a car... I did however have an accident with a pedestrian who wasn't looking when he sprinted out into the cycle lane to catch his bus.

Did you get done for dangerous riding

No but i did fly off my bike and had bruised shoulder, bloodied knees and bloodied elbow...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join