It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know Bob Dylan admitted selling his soul to the devil?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ChemicalAli

Both of those quotes are from his Jesus period (early 1980s) when he was more born-again than Billy Graham. They’re the kind of thing god-botherers say all the time.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Why do we care what Bob Dylan does?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
because
what the hell right ?

mysecrethoodoo.blogspot.co.uk...

www.reddit.com...

Did Bob suddenly get good ? over night ?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

It's fascinating how he talked around the figure with whom he dealt, avoiding naming him.

Another such case, in legend, is this one - ROBERT JOHNSON’S DEAL WITH THE DEVIL AND THE CROSSROADS CURSE

Given that it involves a gift that's ambiguous, a dog helper, a crossroad and an old black man as the intercessor, it's probably a corruption of a voudoun Loa, Papa Legba.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

It's fascinating how he talked around the figure with whom he dealt, avoiding naming him.

Another such case, in legend, is this one - ROBERT JOHNSON’S DEAL WITH THE DEVIL AND THE CROSSROADS CURSE

Given that it involves a gift that's ambiguous, a dog helper, a crossroad and an old black man as the intercessor, it's probably a corruption of a voudoun Loa, Papa Legba.

Completely unfamiliar with that, so no idea! Possible? There are other versions of the tale, of course. The one I recall is that he basically had NO talent, at all, to the point they didn't want him near a guitar, that he left, made the devil deal, and came back with massive talent. If true, that's creepy! Can you share details on your reference?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
maybe thats why he changed his name from zimmerman? LMFAO.

anyone who changes their last name to 'blend in' is a joke.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Completely unfamiliar with that, so no idea! Possible? There are other versions of the tale, of course. The one I recall is that he basically had NO talent, at all, to the point they didn't want him near a guitar, that he left, made the devil deal, and came back with massive talent. If true, that's creepy! Can you share details on your reference?

As you can see he had at at least a few songs themed after such a dark contract and was said to play with his back to the crowd so as to prevent others form observing and stealing his guitar licks. This is one of those folk tales that is very creepy and somewhat compelling. Supposedly as the story goes he was seen entering graveyards late at night to go practice his guitar and as you said he did disappear for a while then came back super skilled. Skeptics say that he basically exiled himself to go learn how to play the guitar but then others say that he wasn't gone long enough to learn to play that good. If anyone wants to truly find out take a trip out to a lonely crossroads at midnight and see what happens but then again do you really want to meet the Devil if such a being exists?
edit on 21-4-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Can you share details on your reference?

In voudoun, there are a class of intermediary beings between humans and God called the loa. Sort of like archangels, in a way, yet not exactly.

Loa embody different concepts of human thought and behavior, have different strengths and weaknesses, control or influence various aspects of the world.

One loa that is available to all vodoun believers is Papa Legba. Others generally require some sort of formal initiation to establish a relationship.

Papa Legba is a sort of trickster being, although not in a cruel or arbitrary way. He is given to offering people what they want, knowing it's not what they need, to see if they can overcome the challenge. He is also the loa of crossroads, and is attracted to them, or pictures of them, and often meets people in or near crossroads. He also serves as a gatekeeper between the seen and unseen worlds, and is always present during vodoun ceremonies to guard so that only the other loa being summoned can manifest. Legba is the caretaker of dogs, and dogs will do his bidding, even if it's unnatural (the singing dog in some of the Johnson stories). He is also the loa of communication and understanding between people, so giving a talent in music would be sort of in line.

He is often confused with Satan by Christians attempting to decipher vodoun, although he is not at all. Baron Samedi would come closer. Legba is more a protector and jokester and tests to see if you are worthy, but not in a destructive or cruel way.

Legba appears as several avatars, but most frequently as a middle aged or older black man, often smoking a pipe.

The whole story of receiving the gift of song from a black man with a dog at a crossroads is pure vodou.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Hell is here, and the devil is us, thanks to people who -- with a thorn in their heart -- pretend sincerity while preaching against the heart of others, just to draw more attention to themselves.

This thread is an excellent example of how the devil actually works in the real world.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ChemicalAli

Sounds like a good deal to me. Sell something that doesn't exist and get an AMAZING musical and poetry talent in return.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

That was very interesting. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

As you can see he had at at least a few songs themed after such a dark contract and was said to play with his back to the crowd so as to prevent others form observing and stealing his guitar licks. This is one of those folk tales that is very creepy and somewhat compelling. Supposedly as the story goes he was seen entering graveyards late at night to go practice his guitar and as you said he did disappear for a while then came back super skilled. Skeptics say that he basically exiled himself to go learn how to play the guitar but then others say that he wasn't gone long enough to learn to play that good. If anyone wants to truly find out take a trip out to a lonely crossroads at midnight and see what happens but then again do you really want to meet the Devil if such a being exists?

Good video pics! Yes, VERY creepy, and this is one case where I can believe the legends. Appreciate the links; been a while since I'd looked into that case.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

That was very interesting. Thank you.

Technical vodou is VERY intricate. Most people think zombies and chicken feet, but there's probably as much vodoun lore as you get in Catholicism.

Loa are sort of like saints, but more directly active. If you could appeal to St Anthony and instead of just some inspiration of where you left your car keys, you got a knock at the door and there they were on the ground, or St Anthony possessed the next guy you ran into and told you where to find them, and to fix the damn hole in your brown pants pocket before you lost them again, it would be close.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Lots of details, thanks. I'd say there are parallels for a reason, as I believe that sort of practice is far different from what those practicing believe. From a Christian perspective, I'd say a figure like that was likely a demon; perhaps not Satan himself, but some other. Highly debatable, of course, and don't mean to tread on anyone's toes; just my personal view.

Again, thanks for the details! Have read a little here and there about it, but not a lot, and it's been a while, even for that.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I wouldn't argue that the devil does influence a lot of people. Looking around the world, that's clear enough. However, I don't see how discussing a comment someone made, and the possible implications, is somehow a bad thing. I don't prescribe tot he idea that you have to pretend everything everyone does is good, or you are somehow bad.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: Revolution9

Bob is a great and good man.

How do you know what kind of Man a perfect stranger is? You read hearts from pictures. We don't even know the hearts of our close kin.

I just made a wicked Deep House tune feat Kristen Stewart. Lol, I just sent her a copy. Damn, she is one smouldering HOT ACTRESS! See her in "Personal Shopper" - wicked film, Bud!

That's not creepy. Nope, not creepy at all...

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Good for you?

I like to make sure I remove the whole log-ride from my own eyes before I spend a moment judging everyone else for their splinters.

Your mileage may vary.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Good for you?

I like to make sure I remove the whole log-ride from my own eyes before I spend a moment judging everyone else for their splinters.

Your mileage may vary.

The only person I see judging anyone here is you. Most of us are simply speculating on what a musician might or might not have done. What's your problem?

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Belief in the Devil is what psychoanalysts call 'projection'. It betrays psychological naivety and a profound lack of self-knowledge.

The latter often arises from a justified fear of introspection. The believer is afraid to examine themselves rigorously because he or she is frightened of what might be discovered lurking within. Far safer to make up an imaginary fiend and project all one's aggressive, selfish and destructive behaviour on to it. 'The Devil made me do it.'

Like God, the Devil was a necessary invention.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan
Why do we care what Bob Dylan does?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join