It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The flat earth conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Dark Ghost recently created a really good thread on if having a healthy skepticism is a barrier to conspiracy research. This thread is the opposite approach is claiming having a healthy skepticism is important in filtering out conspiracy theories that are just not possible to be true. Now trust me I'm not one of those skeptics who doesn't believe in any conspiracy theories. There are many of them that I believe are most likely true based on the points of evidence. I think data points are the essential part of any conspiracy theory. That's what makes conspiracy theories so much fun is when you take a bunch of data points and connect them in some way that gives rise to a possibly credible narrative.

For this thread, as case study, consider the flat earth conspiracy. Here is a good video summarizing the conspiracy:

www.youtube.com...

The idea is we live under a dome like in the movie The Truman Show. And the conspiracy is our government and agencies know we live under a dome and are hiding the fact. When you watch the video, note the data points the author is using to build his narrative. The problem with this conspiracy theory as opposed to many others is there are data points that are in direct conflict with the narrative. For example, consider the following web page:

www.popsci.com...

"10 Easy Ways You Can Tell For Yourself That The Earth Is Not Flat"

This is very compelling in my mind. I can make the measurements myself and confirm the science with direct experience. So I can confirm with my own experiences data points that are in contradiction to the narrative.

Another essential component to a good conspiracy theory is money. I think money and follow the money is an essential part of a good conspiracy theory. For example, in the 9/11 conspiracy theory, one data point in the narrative supporting a false flag attack is Israel citizens having dual citizenship and working in the US government. Dov Zakheim was the Pentagon Comptroller on 9/11. He was unable to explain the disappearance of a trillion dollars from the Pentagon budget. For the math illiterate a trillion dollars is MORE than a million dollars. Whether you believe in the 9/11 conspiracy or not, the Dov Zakheim missing trillion dollar data point is a juicy one in supporting the conspiracy theory.

I think it is really interesting how we take data points and string them into a narrative. I think how we invent the narrative is really fascinating. For example, I'm pretty confident in my house, I am not the center of the Universe. I think the main characters in my house are my cats. And I only exist in this story as a member of their staff. The real story in my Universe is actually revolving around my one white cat because he has so much personality. All the data points support my conspiracy theory. And if I ever find one piece of evidence to confirm my suspicion that my cats are extraterrestrials I will add that to the story as well!

So time to weigh in. Do you believe in the flat earth conspiracy theory or not? If not, what is your evidence or reasons for your skepticism. If yes, then how do you discount the skepticism as NOT being healthy?

edit on 19-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It is like there is a hole in my body and like my wrists are about to fall off right now but noone would believe me.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: xbeta

That's not your wrist!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

the earth is a sphere cause nasa says so. if you disagree your a crazy person.

"it is photo shopped...but it has to be." -nasa

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I definitely do not. Ive listened to many arguments for the flat earth, and some had valid points, but no one has been able to point to a believable motive for its concealment.
Im still open to hear it if someone has one...

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

You want it? Dude come when it is feeling better. You wouldnt want it now.:-) *hugs*

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I don't believe in the FET but love the idea that some people do
The argument has a good set of theory's and some more than valid evidence

I think it's got some great momentum, even solid science to qualify it
I just think the science suggesting it's round is better

Good on the flat earthers, may be swayed one day if the science firms up.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

best one i heard was to hide a creator which in turn destroys evolution/big bang theory

which in turn means whom or whatever created us put us here for a reason and we are accountable for our actions

not just spinning monkeys with no purpose

when everyone thinks its all a fluke thet are easier to control.

they want to be in charge not a higher power

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I don't believe in FET, but I'm also not an imbecile.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I find it silly, to be honest. I've been on a plane and could see the curvature of the earth. When a lunar eclipse occurs, would a flat earth block out the sun evenly on the sort-of round moon?

Are all of the other planets we have photographic evidence of also photo-shopped. Honestly, some theories are too preposterous for me to look into in the slightest.

It's a nice OP though. Healthy skepticism is the only thing that keeps me away from the dreaded tin foil hat.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DocScurlock1774

Wow you don't believe the Earth is round? News tip, humans figured out it was round long before NASA existed.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Some of the Flat Earth arguments are interesting. I can't get around that, but nether can I buy it as sold exactly.

Perhaps, as the infamous Illuminati card game asserts, the FE's are on to something.

For example, not that Earth is flat per se, but maybe something more along the lines of that our matter is Holographic in nature as some theories now suggest?

edit on 19-4-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I feel flat earth is disinformation seeded by some agency to confuse and discredit the alternative media and information community.
I find FET popping up in so many circles there is a definite promotion behind it and that is what makes me suspicious.
I think that's the real conspiracy who is promoting this and why?

Just for comparison hardly anyone is talking about hollow earth theory as an alternative world view.
edit on 19-4-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

edit on 19-4-2017 by SolAquarius because: A GHOST CAUSED ME TO DOUBLE POST

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

The Illuminati card game is one of the most amazing things ever created!

A friend of mine tells a funny story about playing Illuminati with me 20 years ago. I didn't remember what happened. But what really impressed my friend was when you play the game you build your power structure by combining Illuminati groups or secret cabals. He he was laughing me because every time Illuminati groups got folded into the same power structure I would go off on what the real world implications of what it would mean to have the two particular groups working together. I've been wanting to play again but I have not gotten up enough courage since 9/11.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Hmm.. the problem is, that my human brain in this lower level of reality is creating errors in my brain, when i try to use words to describe it, something is preventing me..

Many swastika variations get it, the four interlocking dimensional planes connected by the center, think other dimensions, not actual domes or onion structures.

these kind of things are fun that way, the human wetware can not handle it.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015Do you believe in the flat earth conspiracy theory or not? If not, what is your evidence or reasons for your skepticism.

no, because it would be really fun. and reality isn't so fun mostly.

ps. star for this - " I think the main characters in my house are my cats. And I only exist in this story as a member of their staff."

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
I feel flat earth is disinformation seeded by some agency to confuse and discredit the alternative media and information community.
I find FET popping up in so many circles there is a definite promotion behind it and that is what makes me suspicious.
I think that's the real conspiracy who is promoting this and why?

Just for comparison hardly anyone is talking about hollow earth theory as an alternative world view.

If I were part of a secret cabal designed to keep the world under control I would throw out there a test case conspiracy theory to determine how effective my propaganda outlets and techniques were working by measuring overall google hit scores of how many people are absorbing it into their mindset.

FET seems like a laboratory experiment in propaganda effectiveness. I have no evidence for this but it sounds good.

edit on 19-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I always like to read these in the hope they are real. That would be such an epic conspiracy!

Sadly, I'm not convinced.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

Can you imagine! This would be quite literally earth shaking!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join