It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First evidence for higher state of consciousness found

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   

April 19, 2017

I guess most of us already know that there was a higher state of consciousness , but the study is exciting nonetheless.

Scientific evidence of a 'higher' state of consciousness has been found in a study led by the University of Sussex. Neuroscientists observed a sustained increase in neural signal diversity - a measure of the complexity of brain activity - of people under the influence of psychedelic drugs, compared with when they were in a normal waking state.

It was about time! We need more research on consciousness and altered states.

Why do humans beings experience a different view of the "reality" when they're under the effect of these "drugs"?

The diversity of brain signals provides a mathematical index of the level of consciousness. For example, people who are awake have been shown to have more diverse neural activity using this scale than those who are asleep.

This, however, is the first study to show brain-signal diversity that is higher than baseline, that is higher than in someone who is simply 'awake and aware'. Previous studies have tended to focus on lowered states of consciousness, such as sleep, anaesthesia, or the so-called 'vegetative' state.

They said they need more research on this with more sofisticated equipments.
You betcha you need more study! You cientists!

Professor Anil Seth, Co-Director of the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science at the University of Sussex, said: "This finding shows that the brain-on-psychedelics behaves very differently from normal.

"During the psychedelic state, the electrical activity of the brain is less predictable and less 'integrated' than during normal conscious wakefulness - as measured by 'global signal diversity'.

"Since this measure has already shown its value as a measure of 'conscious level', we can say that the psychedelic state appears as a higher 'level' of consciousness than normal - but only with respect to this specific mathematical measure."

That's what I'm talking about! Just give'em the stuff and study its reaction. I can volunteer if you want. No problem with that.

For the study, Michael Schartner, Adam Barrett and Professor Seth of the Sackler Centre reanalysed data that had previously been collected by Imperial College London and the University of Cardiff in which healthy volunteers were given one of three drugs known to induce a psychedelic state: psilocybin, ketamine and '___'.

Using brain imaging technology, they measured the tiny magnetic fields produced in the brain and found that, across all three drugs, this measure of conscious level - the neural signal diversity - was reliably higher.

This does not mean that the psychedelic state is a 'better' or more desirable state of consciousness, the researchers stress; instead, it shows that the psychedelic brain state is distinctive and can be related to other global changes in conscious level (e.g. sleep, anaesthesia) by application of a simple mathematical measure of signal diversity. Dr Muthukumaraswamy who was involved in all three initial studies commented: "That similar changes in signal diversity were found for all three drugs, despite their quite different pharmacology, is both very striking and also reassuring that the results are robust and repeatable."

The findings could help inform discussions gathering momentum about the carefully-controlled medical use of such drugs, for example in treating severe depression.

Dr Robin Cahart-Harris of Imperial College London said: "Rigorous research into psychedelics is gaining increasing attention, not least because of the therapeutic potential that these drugs may have when used sensibly and under medical supervision.

This is so important for human evolution and I hope they keep digging it.

If you want to know more, here is the full article from Medical Xpress.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

So...

To clarify, the state that has been recorded by the operators of the experiment, is one of increased neurological activity, but not necessarily useful activity. The article segment you posted, states that this activity is less integrated than normal consciousness. This suggests that while there is more activity, less of it is under any form of either control, or for that matter, achieving any positive outcome, aside from providing the user with "a trip".

When someone refers to a higher state of consciousness, one must be certain that what one means by that, is a state of consciousness where greater neurological resources than normal are available to the user in a useful fashion, not simply that there is more activity in general.

Put another way, if there are five people running a medium sized warehouse, and they are overworked, it might be suggested that the management pay for more staff. BUT, if they hire five more staff, only to have those extra five people milling about but achieving nothing at all, then no benefit has been derived from the hiring, and the same applies in this instance. More brain activity is not necessarily and indicator of greater functionality.
edit on 19-4-2017 by TrueBrit because: grammatical error removed.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The point being made by the op is that it exists-next is discovering the functionality of this additional brain activity.

We know so little about the brain that this is indeed very exciting and deserving of more investigation leading to who knows where.

Why the negativity? It is not necessarily "higher" but definitely "new" and has any number of implications as far as human brain abilities. Looking forward to more info as to how, why and what this discovery could explain about our most intricate and illusive body part.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
No, we didn't need science to tell us the obvious because they wouldn't admit it, because they can't explain it.
Guess it also means it will pose a few more questions and theories, why have this extra intelligence if we can't use it, why evolve something that we don't use, unless we are de evolving

Great question truebrit but come on, what's the point
If a warehouse needs 5 more people, then I would expect a bit of training to be required, common sense?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Put another way...

...a seizure ALSO provides non-integrated, diverse, unpredictable, increased brain activity. But I don't know if you can call it a "higher" form of consciousness.

And, dear OP, the journo's use of the term "'higher' state of consciousness" was intended to be an amusing turn of phrase. You can tell by the writer's enclosing it in quotes.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Higher state of consciousness? All i see is excited neuron pathways, some people call this a high!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

The point being made by the op is that it exists-next is discovering the functionality of this additional brain activity.

Who says it's functional? It's much more likely to be indicative of random chaotic neural noise.

link   
a reply to: Justso

Oh, believe you me, I am not expressing negativity here.

All I am doing is thrusting the spear point of accuracy into things. The reality is that some people have a tendency to automatically assume that when the term "higher state of consciousness" is used, what is being referred to is some kind of chemical zen, a beneficial state offering huge advantages over normal brain activity. This is not what is being suggested at all by the article, but the terminology "higher state of consciousness" implies better state of consciousness, and that is a flawed assumption to make, absent evidence for it.

link   

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
why have this extra intelligence if we can't use it, why evolve something that we don't use, unless we are de evolving

Which 'extra intelligence' are you on about?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
So, when you're tripping, your brain goes into overdrive?

I think these scientists might be a few millennia late to the party.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
So, when you're tripping, your brain goes into overdrive?

Or bits of it become uninhibited and just sort of flail around, because the activity is now uncoordinated.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

It is outside the scope of the work being done, but it is commonly known and accepted by those open to the possibilities of mind-altering drugs that some leave a residue or even a near-permanent or permanent change in the whole "state" of the brain and that new state of being is relished as an expanded view of "reality" that was hidden before.

So if the five employees of your example are expanded within themselves, the cost to the business remains the same and the extra five bodies add little to the overall productivity and therefore are not required for the best result.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Hasn't this already been established? There is the picture of a "regular" brain, and a brain on lsd that shows the difference in connections in the brain.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
Hasn't this already been established? There is the picture of a "regular" brain, and a brain on lsd that shows the difference in connections in the brain.

"Different" doesn't imply "better".

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Justso

Oh, believe you me, I am not expressing negativity here.

All I am doing is thrusting the spear point of accuracy into things. The reality is that some people have a tendency to automatically assume that when the term "higher state of consciousness" is used, what is being referred to is some kind of chemical zen, a beneficial state offering huge advantages over normal brain activity. This is not what is being suggested at all by the article, but the terminology "higher state of consciousness" implies better state of consciousness, and that is a flawed assumption to make, absent evidence for it.

Guess you didn't read the part where I marked with bold? Anyways, I'll quote again for you.

This does not mean that the psychedelic state is a 'better' or more desirable state of consciousness

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

There are many things which are commonly accepted, which are actually absolute nonsense. It was once commonly accepted that certain "races" (its in quotes because the concept is a lie) are not technically human. It was once commonly accepted that radium tonic was a good thing to put in your body. It was once commonly accepted that arsenic ought to be put in wallpaper, that lead ought to be in cosmetic products, and that drilling a hole in the head would treat everything from hysteria to depression.

Luckily, the tools of science are more refined than they once were. While I might personally have absolutely no problem believing that those who have had experiences with certain compounds see those experiences as positive, that does not necessarily mean that they are, and only a deeply detailed study of the precise functionality of the tripping brain, when compared with that of the standard operating method, could ever hope to confirm the positivity with which the circumstance of tripping is commonly associated.

This has not yet been achieved, and just working out an effective strategy for examining that difference in enough detail to render a precise and useful result, will no doubt be the work of some considerable time.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

I did not miss it.

However, I did more than read the title of the piece before commenting. Not everyone gets that far, especially if they happen to be tripping balls at the time...

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
" To clarify, the state that has been recorded by the operators of the experiment, is one of increased neurological activity, but not necessarily useful activity. The article segment you posted, states that this activity is less integrated than normal consciousness. This suggests that while there is more activity, less of it is under any form of either control, or for that matter, achieving any positive outcome, aside from providing the user with "a trip".

Look at a meth head.... running for several days. Altered... yes 'increased neurological activity' but the activity....... meaningless STATIC. Lots of it, but of little significant intelligence or actual value.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join