It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan, Britain team to study next gen fighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The Japanese and Brits have signed an agreement to study how they could collaborate on a future fighter aircraft. They have discussed the possibility of collaboration in the past but have always ended up either working with the US or other euros (Brits). With brexit looming and the potential concern about whether or not the US might become more isolationist, they may be seeing if they can work together for a sixth gen fighter.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

They've been cozying up for the last few years. Japan was working with the UK to put an AESA seeker on Meteor. It's more about the restrictions put on tech transfers from the US. Japan saw what happened with Korea and wants options.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Shares in BAE going up again maybe?
With the French draaaaagggging their feet with NEXUS I can understand the Brits looking elsewhere..Thery are still busy in Auss though.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Japanese tech. British tech. British military experience!! What a machine this will be. Hopefully the start of much much more collaboration

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

God, I hope that this means ATD-X will lead to a gen 5.5 air superiority craft flying with the UK and Japan. Better still, Israel should get on board as well.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Wow Britain and Japan? This should hopefully be the best fighter in the world. Hell what we need is some germans too!

And without the USA involved it might get done on time and on budget!
edit on 19-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

God yes! and hopefully twin engined and long range with a large payload. I could see us buying them.

Better still, Israel should get on board as well
What?... NO!! Are you insane? Those double dealing scammers will simply sell the technology directly to China or whoever else they feel like. They are the last people you want involved, there are plenty of other countries to choose from like Australia or Canada.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Wow Britain and Japan? This should hopefully be the best fighter in the world. Hell what we need is some germans too!

And without the USA involved it might get done on time and on budget!

I heartily applaud your optimism but we're easily the equal of the USA or anyone else (apart from possibly the French) when it comes to dragging our heels and pushing spending through the roof. See... well, any PFI hospital ever... for an example.

On the plus side, however, as the Japanese are involved, it's highly likely that 6th Gen fighters will be able to turn into giant humanoid robots. Awesome sauce!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Will the UK pull out if the (possibly) unproductive UK/French UCAV collaboration? With the UK leaving the EU we can predict the will EU become inward looking and a big push for the “EU family” work more closely together – with France in the lead that is.

The UK and Japan have real scope in collaboration, although I see no reason to even consider Israel, so disagree with the above comment.

new topics

top topics

join