It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you bring back the ATS chat room?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There used to be one a few years ago..I hear there were some issues with users as to why it was shut down, but give it a try again?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I second this infinitely

-Alee

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Agreed.. Ive had a lot of fun and some fantastic convos over the yrs in chat.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker
From what we were told at the time, there were major issues with the service provider. Another factor.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
oh nooo.that is too much talking.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: iTruthSeeker
From what we were told at the time, there were major issues with the service provider. Another factor.

Ah I wasn't aware of that issue. Ats has switched since then, at least once I think.?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There is a better place for unsecure chatting. They put a link up to an IRC
room and then open in an IRC browser.

I miss the old comic chat - I think it was really cool and I wonder
why Microsoft took it down.

edit on 17-4-2017 by ThatHappened because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I never knew ATS had a chatroom.

Here, here, bring it back.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
look, i wont hold it any more. because it is boring.puufff

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Wait, what? I've been on ATS since 2005 (this is my 2nd ID -- long story...) and I don't ever remember there being a live chat.

Did I miss something?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There was a reply to me for this thread in my mailbox then it got lost. if anybody deleted something say now, or be silenced forever.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Look....ATS chat was mostly for the RADIO SHOW that used to be here. Nefermore coudnt run the show anymore and as such the chat providers who we had were As stupid and greedy as the government and they had to shut down the chat.

A IRC chat might be a good compromise because they are free,but they arent secure either.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I had created an ats channel on freenode a few years back, but nobody ever joined

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't know if there's even anyone around who could put a chat feature in anymore.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I miss the old chat. The yahoo chatrooms were great too. Seems everybody got cold feet and dropped the whole chatrooms thing.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Pretty sure ATS will never see a chat room again. These threads pop up now and again and the staff consensus is usually pretty discouraging.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The vendor that provided the live chat feature was not reliable.

ATS owners and admin were seeking options. And it just died. Lack of interest I guess. But you can read it all here:

ATS Member Collaborative Project: Building A Better Chat

You guys will most likely find some answers in there, like why we don't do IRC chat.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
someone should make an ATS discord channel maybe. the options are vast these days and have changed dramatically in the last few years. the only reason they wouldnt do it imo is because it costs $$$

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I still have the code, even worked on it a bit more.

Truth is, member collaboration never really happened. I was the only one writing code and hosting the test server. Regular obligations came up and i had to back burner the project. The Github is still active and any one who wanted to fork the project code and work on it more could do so freely.

I've also offered up my IRC server if ATS wanted to link to it, but the mods declined with some aversion to IRC.

ATS chat was fun, though. I miss talking to Zaph about cool aircraft projects and technology/

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

IRC security has vastly improved. TLS and SSL with twisted sockets means that you can connect to a server with encryption. The chats are obviously clear text and even though my server is configured with /var/log/messages turned off and syslogd pointed to /dev/null (meaning there are no logs of any kind) there's nothing to prevent another user from keeping copy/pasted logs or client side logs.

The actual client to server connections are all secure and not visible to any one outside of the IRC opers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join