It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea's nuclear power reactors not designed to deal with military attacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

South Korea's nuclear power reactors have not been designed to deal with military attacks, a report submitted to a lawmaker by the Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co. (KHNP) showed Sunday. The evaluation sent to Rep. Kim Jong-hoon of the conservative Liberty Korea Party revealed that the outer protective wall of local reactors were never meant to withstand a missile strike or other forms of concerted attacks.

The reinforced concrete walls are the last barrier built around reactors that can contain radioactive materials from being released into the surrounding area in the event of a serious accident. "They have been designed from the outset only to remain standing in the face of typhoons, earthquakes and other forms of natural disasters," the lawmaker said.

He pointed out that the casing can deflect the blast of explosions and debris from the inside, although not from external strikes or even the kind of terrorist attack that destroyed the World Trade Center in New York on Sept. 11, 2001.

Source

There have been theories as to why NK's missile launch failed, inc. poor equipment and cyber attacks. Even so, Kim Jung-Un is a serious threat and he needs to be dealt with as such.

I don't want to see millions die in a nuclear attack, whether started by him, the US or whoever. But this threat is getting out of hand. What about an EMP attack on Pyongyang? Would that suffice?

Does anyone here at ATS have any theories as to the most effective but least lethal means of stopping Lil' Kim?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

Does anyone here at ATS have any theories as to the most effective but least lethal means of stopping Lil' Kim?

Stopping him from doing what? What has happened now that hasn't been happening for years?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Maybe if everyone leaves him alone he won't blow up South korea?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Im not advocating assassination, but assassinate him.
HE is the origin of the issue.. his lineage is tainted and should end.. not his mil or his generals. Even they are terrified of the little psychopath. Take him out and the threat is diminished so greatly we can WORK WITH the people and government. No one benefits from "nuking" NK.. not even tactical nuked. Just off the weirdo.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I don't think any nuclear power plants anywhere globally are made to withstand a "military" attack.

Hell, Japan built Fukushima right on the coast of a highly geologically active area, we've all seen how well that went.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Some things just shouldn't be published.

The media runs these stories knowing fear sells, and these stories many times bring up points enemies may not have thought of.

If Kim didn't put this in strategy he sure has now.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

This is a non story there isnt a nuclear reactor in the world that can withstand a military strike. So what is really the point of this article?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

This is a non story there isnt a nuclear reactor in the world that can withstand a military strike. So what is really the point of this article?

DOOOOOOM.... fear sells better than sex these days. Sad state of affairs when folks look up more "is this ww3" on google than "big boobies".

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

DOOOOOOM.... fear sells better than sex these days.

I beg to differ....

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
No one wants more Fukushima, why US has yet to cause major wars in East Asia. Just too many dam nuke plants. Though this was also cause by the West themselves. Everything is cause by the West, for the West, meant for the West to win. So all other races are suppressed forever on this planet.

Their Agenda is coming into light as internet message are all coming out about NWO. US loves to hide tech for themselves. US is no longer a free nation since Natives been mass slaughtered. It was taken over by Westerners, who infiltrate and love to keep them secret while assassinating everyone else living in their system that may bring out the technology.

www.telegraph.co.uk... may-have-been-assassinated-professor-claims.html

www.neonnettle.com...

www.google.ca...
edit on 16-4-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'd me more surprised to learn of a a nuclear plant that is designed to withstand a military attack. How is this even a story?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

What about an EMP attack on Pyongyang? Would that suffice?

If you ever seen that night time shot of North Korea you would see just how ineffectual a emp attack would be.

Ignore the NK propaganda.

The majority of North Koreas live in the dark ages.

It's not like most western countries.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
edit: huh, strange, this was supposed to be a reply to the OP, not you. nevermind...
edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

If you do that EMP thing the ability for everyone to communicate in that region over radio (includes satelites) would be reduced greatly. With region, I mean pacific, korea, china, japan even parts of russia, depending on the height.

Satelites will be fried and those that still work will be unable to communicate downwards through the layer of charged particles. That´s not an option and probably seen as an act of war by the chinese, russians and japan. Well maybe not russia as it´s too far north but certainly china.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

I have an idea. We could surrender.

Tell Little Il that the world bows to his superior nation. Make a big show in the UN where everyone pays homage. Have Hollywood produce videos of world leader doubles expressing their respect and admiration for North Korea and its leader, complete with parades and speeches. Tell Little Il that he is to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He can pick it up at a street corner in south side Chicago. Just stand there and wait and he will be met by a delegation of US representatives to take him to the ceremony. Tell him he should bring cash.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

If you do that EMP thing the ability for everyone to communicate in that region over radio (includes satelites) would be reduced greatly. With region, I mean pacific, korea, china, japan even parts of russia, depending on the height.

Satelites will be fried and those that still work will be unable to communicate downwards through the layer of charged particles. That´s not an option and probably seen as an act of war by the chinese, russians and japan. Well maybe not russia as it´s too far north but certainly china.

Emps are overrated in truth they are not nearly as scary as hollywood makes it out to be. Many electronics wont be affected. For example cars most will still run fine the ones that wont i guess will create traffic jams. Turn off anything electronic and it will work fine when its over. And even than its a 50 50 chance if it destroys the device. Power grid it could cause transformers to blow. But keep in mind squirrels do this as well, In fact they cause massive damage to our electrical grid. Yet we send people out to repair it. Radio will work a couple of hours after the blast. satellites are all ready made to withstand EMPs they have to be. movies make it seem much worse it would cause problems but not the end of the world.
edit on 4/16/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
I was not talking about the grid, I was talking about radio. EMPs are only overrated if you have no clue about the side effects. Contrary to what you think, I´m not educated by movies. This scenario is from a wargame simulation the US did several years ago. Do you know the current conditions most of the US and other satelites are in? They´re bad. So bad, that it´s not uncommon to contract a public/commercial satelite provider to open up transponders.

Most of what you wrote is not accurate. Any long range radio that relies on the ionosphere will be disturbed over a great area. Satelites won´t be able to receive or transmitt signals through the ionosphere when it´s charged up due to an EMP. Any fleet that is on sea won´t be able to communicate propperly.

I´m talking about after effects, not the direct outcome of the disabled devices.

Grid:
It´s a difference if one transformer blows up or if severals do. The cascade effect is the problem and it´s not like it´s just the transformers. All the high load switching centers are vulnerable. Fuses.

There´s only one thing I agree with your post, that a EMP is not the end of the world -I never wrote that by the way-.

Signed by a electronics engineer, the same one that wrote the software and did the hand routing on that ant in my avatar, trust me you are deceiving yourself.
edit on 16-4-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
No reactor could withstand a direct concentrated blast or impact. You, in reality, need no nuke unit yourself to seriously harm your enemy's, you use their fuel to do the deed. Same basic tactic used by 911 Muslims....they used our tech, training, weapons(planes loaded with fuel) on us.......

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Stopping him from doing what? What has happened now that hasn't been happening for years?

You sort of want to head off what they could do, before they can do it. It's a bit late once they have the capability to send nukes to the U.S. via an ICBM.

And parading even fake ICBMs around is foolish of them. I hope for a peaceful resolution, some way to cause them to simply forsake their nuclear weapon program completely. But you can't wait until they actually have the ability to strike. Assuming they will never reach that level of capability is foolish.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit. I agree, they have evolved without growing up in a modern world...look even smaller in those big military hats. Sorry... Even with wood decorations They could have a legacy plan like infecting the many refugees scattering to all directions after the initial strike which be conventional modern weapons. This and hits on locations like these reactors, suicide bombers, and the like. They have many, many considered disposable people life long trained to certain tasks. And lob a nuke across the border would not surprise anyone.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join