It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found this video saying Easter is Pagan, is this really true?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

I mostly agree with your point but I think you're giving Christianity a bit too much credit/blame there at the end. The flood narrative from the OT predates Christianity by at least 1000 years in written form and who knows how far back in the oral tradition. There are very interesting studies that suggest oral histories can be passed down in the form of myth and legend for thousands of years. (Heres one such story, off topic but a good read. It explores the possibility of First Nations/Native American knowledge of extinct megafauna from the oral tradition.)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
There are very interesting studies that suggest oral histories can be passed down in the form of myth and legend for thousands of years. (Heres one such story, off topic but a good read. It explores the possibility of First Nations/Native American knowledge of extinct megafauna from the oral tradition.)
Anishnaabe oral traditions refer to the coming of the last ice age. Not too much to argue there.

As to the discussion at hand, I don't think the absorption of pre-Christian traditions ought to be used to diminish what's good about Christianity. One might say that they validate each other in that sense.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

her only Cameo was in Zecariah as evil in a basket.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: verschickter

I really don't understand the protestant die-hard's unease with Catholicism. It seems like some people have big ideas in their heads about what Catholicism is all about without knowing much of anything about it beyond what their pastor or Sunday school teacher has said.

You have Baptists who handle snakes and drink poison, Pentecostals who roll around on the floor babbling in tongues like fools. I somehow doubt the Angelic language is spoken flailing on the floor going 'habalabulalululballgaga' with a distinct Southern accent.

What's so scary about Catholicism? Have you attested Catholic service? Boring? Yes. Scary? Not by a long shot.

Yes, in fact, I have. Went with a friend a time or two, back in the day. Wasn't boring, really; much ceremony, whch isn't a bad thing. What I learned wasn't from a Sunday School teacher or a pastor; it's been from former Catholics themselves, and current ones online. I figure someone raised Catholic knows what it's about. One of these people was planning to be a priest, and one is a former nun. I suspect they got the information right.

Yes, there is some weirdness in other groups, and I even commented to that effect, I believe. Some pretty scary stuff, as far as that goes, in some "charismatic" groups these days; things that make any sane person think of demonic possession! Right there with you on that fake "tongues" business! That's NOT what the Bible describes.

The issues I have are with certain practices and beliefs. Transubstantiation, praying to someone other than God, all the statues, and believing one needs a priest to confess. Some, not all, believe in a works-based salvation. There is a lot of variation, of course, even among Catholics, just as among any other group. Some are very solid in faith, understanding that it's God's grace that saves us, and doing all they can to follow Him. Others lean more on ritual and tradition. Again, true for many non-Catholics as well!! I don't know of a single church that gets it all right. That's expected, and what we see from the books about the various churches back in those days.

For "scary" plus "Catholic", did you hear about the priest at the Vatican that said there was a lot of occult/Satanic stuff going on there? Let's see if I can find a link.....

Ah, found one...think this is the one I remember... Chief exorcist says Devil is in Vatican

Now that's some scary stuff!

Occult and New Age (nothing new about it) influences can crop up anywhere, and do. Seen even pastors fall for such things.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So what your 'sound scholarship' tells you is that the epic of Gilgamesh --- taken from some of the earliest writings ever found --- actually came from Noah who, by extension, would have had to have lived prior to the Sumerians. So Noah was part of some culture/civilization that existed prior to the Sumerians (in order for Noah's account to have been handed 'down' to the Sumerians) but for whom there is absolutely no evidence or any kind? Is that how it works? That makes more sense from a 'sound scholarship' standpoint than the possibility that Christianity re-worked pre-existing folklore into their story?

Virtually all old cultures have a flood legend. This is known. The GIlgamesh epic happens to be the oldest written account, but that doesn't mean it's the oldest, period. Oral accounts are just as valid. As for "no evidence", depends on who you ask. There are many underwater ruins, and references to older cultures, in the world. Check in to Graham Hancock.

The books of Genesis are from very old accounts, passed down for a long time before being written. There is no way to know who was influenced by these accounts. The flood stories are, as stated, global in scope. All have the folklore because there was such an event.

We don't know nearly as much about our ancient ancestors as some believe.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BStoltman
I recently found this video on Youtube, and he goes over all these supposedly facts, that Easter and its symbols are Pagan? Is he correct or full or crap?
Seems kinda sketchy.

Here is the link video, let me know your thoughts?

Thanks for your ideas!

I gather you are quite young which is OK. Seek the perspectives and views of other yes, but you need to do your own research and make your own mind up.

There comes a time in all our lives where we have to make our own minds up and stick with that no matter what others think or say. It was not until I was about 30-35 years old that I reached an age whereby I began to form my own ideas about what is right and what is wrong.

You will know that you have learned a truth when it happens. Truth is different for all of us. You will know truth when you hear it or read, or expereince it because it will jell with you, it will resonate with you, it will strike you as true and right. Sometimes it will even give you a rush. This still happens to me many years later when I hear, read or learn a new truth.

In addition to any other reason we are born into this world, we all seek knowlelde and truth.

There are few absolute truths in this world so accept that truth is different for others and that we will revise many of our own truths as time goes by and never be afraid of that.

edit on 21-4-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

sounds like a reason to make a good ole tale about that and relate it to a human just like us, it just so happens around Dec 25th, venus is bright in the night sky and as it moves across the sky............ the three stars of orions belt follows it, where have i heard that before?

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

What's so scary about Catholicism?

Rwandan genocide 1994 - Wikipedia: 7 April – 15 July 1994 (between brackets is mine, just some reminders regarding what was earlier mentioned)

In 1935, Belgium introduced identity cards labelling each individual as Tutsi, Hutu, Twa or Naturalised. ...The Catholic Church became increasingly important in Rwanda, as the [mostly Catholic] Belgian government relied on the clergy's local knowledge; many Rwandans became Catholics as a means of social advancement [cause Catholics are very good at looking after their own interests in power and wealth]. ... this is related to the holocaust since that was a genocide as well.[35]
After World War II, a Hutu [mostly Catholic motivated and supported] emancipation movement began to grow in Rwanda,[36] fuelled by increasing resentment of the inter-war social reforms, and also an increasing sympathy for the Hutu within the Catholic Church.[37] Catholic missionaries increasingly viewed themselves as responsible for empowering the underprivileged Hutu [only the Catholics, but "underprivileged Hutu" sounds a lot more like you're doing something rigtheous, self-righteous] rather than the Tutsi elite, leading rapidly to the formation of a sizeable Hutu [Catholic] clergy and educated elite...

In 1957, a group of Hutu [Catholic] scholars wrote the "Bahutu Manifesto". This was the first document to label the Tutsi and Hutu as separate races, and called for the transfer of power from Tutsi to Hutu based on what it termed "statistical law".[38]

On 1 November 1959, a Hutu [probably Catholic] sub-chief, Dominique Mbonyumutwa, was attacked in Kigali by supporters of the pro-Tutsi party. Mbonyumutwa survived, but rumours began spreading that he had been killed.[39] Hutu [mostly Catholic] activists responded by killing Tutsi, both the elite and ordinary civilians, marking the beginning of the Rwandan Revolution.[40] The Tutsi responded with attacks of their own, but by this stage the Hutu had full backing from the [mostly Catholic] Belgian administration who wanted to overturn the Tutsi domination.[41][42] In early 1960, the Belgians replaced most Tutsi chiefs with Hutu [Catholic] and organised mid-year commune elections which returned an overwhelming Hutu [Catholic] majority.[41] The king was deposed, a Hutu[Catholic] dominated republic created, and the country became independent in 1962.
As the revolution progressed, Tutsi began leaving the country to escape the Hutu purges [Catholic motivated or supported; because of the teachings taught in the Churches depending on what kind of teacher is present in that Church, often someone looking after his own interests in power and wealth] ,... further reprisal killings of Tutsi [mostly non-Catholic] and further Tutsi exiles.[46] By 1964, more than 300,000 Tutsi had fled, and were forced to remain in exile for the next three decades.[47] Pro-Hutu [mostly Catholic] discrimination continued in Rwanda itself,...

Preparation for genocide

Historians do not agree on the precise date on which the [mostly Catholic] idea of a "final solution" to kill every Tutsi [mostly non-Catholic] in Rwanda was first mooted.
On March 20, 2017, Pope Francis acknowledged that while some Catholic nuns and priests in the country were killed during the genocide, others were complicit with it and took part in preparing and executing the genocide.[99]

That is by no means the only example to be wary of the teachings and influence of the Roman Catholic Church and Hierarchy and the religion itself for its effects on the behaviour of the flock no matter how pretty their new sheep's clothing is in 2017 or next year. They will not change, cause time and time again, their adherents in other lands do not take much note of these events throughout history. Often they feel they are being judged or blamed for it for being Roman Catholic. Time to wake up people. The one behind Babylon the Great is very cunning/crafty.
Another example:

"you can't use his name!"

The above is a playlist with more examples and not just focussed on Roman Catholicism as if they should be picked on. Everyone should wake up:
Religion is a Snare and a Racket
edit on 21-4-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join