It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good is Psychiatry?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: Aristotelian1

So is a psychiatrist acceptable and only the psychologist is despicable?

Both are fake sciences. Both are frauds.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You apparently have no clue what you are talking about.

I work in a psychiatric hospital. The thousands of patients I have helped, not to mention their families, would be all too happy to tell you what the point is.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I totally agree! This thread is full of keyboard Doctors. People with severe conditions have been able to live healthy normal lives through medication. People who used to be locked away forever, with no hope. Unbelievable the amount of ignorance on this subject, sad really. I guess the mentality Challenged just need a drink and pull themselves up by their bootstraps!!a reply to: OccamsRazor04

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
i keep reading this as what god is of Psychiatry and i made a search and i found psyche related with it.
edit on 16-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye

You are right. People give Psychiatry credit because it's the "norm".

I remember when I had an anxiety disorder, my Psychologist told me that it's all about brain chemistry, and I have no choice but to take medications. Luckily I proved her wrong.

Hopefully both fields will go in the dustbin one day..

My psychologist told me something was wrong with my thinking. I told him it was brain chemistry. I told him this because the only time I feel normal is when I have a hangover from alcohol(not drunk), as in my focus, mood, confidence, work ethic is all improved on a hangover.

Sent me to a shrink, meds screwed me up physically. Went to adhd testing, lady told me my issue was I was depressed because of another medical issue I was diagnosed with, I made the appointment to get tested for adhd before my medical diagnosis for a genetic liver disorder. Waste of 700 dollars, realized she was an idiot.
Decided they were wasting my money, quit all meds cancelled all appointment, bought adrafinil and now feel better than ever.
I wouldn't advise others to take medications/supplements on their own. but I do and it works better than what they did.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I work in a psychiatric hospital. The thousands of patients I have helped, not to mention their families, would be all too happy to tell you what the point is.
You've never cured a single person.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1

You've never cured a single person.

People don't get 'cured' of a lot of diseases. No one gets 'cured' of HIV, they get treated, and their life is greatly improved.

Why does it matter if someone is cured or not? Is that really the best you got?

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

"Why does it matter if someone is cured or not?" That's hilarious and horrifying coming from a "mental health professional." I would say you've lost all credibility, but you never had any. Secondly:
1.The AIDS virus can be observed by a microscope-mental illness cannot.
2. There is a test to see ascertain whether one has AIDS, there is no medical test(blood test, etc.) to see if you have a mental "illness." Mental disorders in Psychiatry are literally voted into existence.
3. They know what causes AIDS.

Don't compare anything in the "mental health profession" to anything actually medical. It's comparing horses to unicorns.

You are a total fraud. Drugging people into a stupor and electroshock use to be torture; now it's "mental health."

edit on 17-4-2017 by Aristotelian1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You are clearly a fool and had no response to my post. Mental illness CAN be seen by a microscope, in fact, an autopsy is the only way to diagnose some mental health diagnosis such as Alzheimer's.

Scientists can also see the terrible effects of Alzheimer's disease when they look at brain tissue under the microscope:

www.alz.org...

There was no test to see if you had HIV either .. until there was. There is work being done on blood testing for mental illnesses because it's actually possible. So wrong again.
www.thedailybeast.com...

Newly developed blood tests for schizophrenia and for depression designed to augment current diagnostic approaches have attracted increased attention at recent major scientific meetings.

www.psychiatrictimes.com...

The only fraud is you, you clearly have no clue the miracle ECT is for some patients. They come in refusing to leave their bed and wanting to waste away and die, and after ECT are full of life and energy and so thankful.

We have loved ones of our patients come and volunteer here after seeing the difference it made in their lives.

You are worse than clueless, you are willfully ignorant.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Psychology sounds a lot different in the USA compared to the UK. Here we see it as the means to get people away from medication. Instead of prescribing anti-depressants or anti-psychotics, consultants are trying to refer to psychological therapies which may be as effective with minimal side-effects. It isn't a magic wand but it helps a lot of people.

To the person who says it doesn't work and it's a fraud, perhaps it didn't work for you - therapeutic relationships is more important than knowledge, and the psychologist who said anxiety disorders are about brain chemistry clearly doesn't have a lot of knowledge - but that doesn't mean it won't work for others.

posted on Apr, 17 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: twfau

Based on other things they have said I would take anything they claim about any conversation they had with a grain of salt.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

You are clearly a fool and had no response to my post. Mental illness CAN be seen by a microscope, in fact, an autopsy is the only way to diagnose some mental health diagnosis such as Alzheimer's.

Scientists can also see the terrible effects of Alzheimer's disease when they look at brain tissue under the microscope:

www.alz.org...

There was no test to see if you had HIV either .. until there was. There is work being done on blood testing for mental illnesses because it's actually possible. So wrong again.
www.thedailybeast.com...

Newly developed blood tests for schizophrenia and for depression designed to augment current diagnostic approaches have attracted increased attention at recent major scientific meetings.

The only fraud is you, you clearly have no clue the miracle ECT is for some patients. They come in refusing to leave their bed and wanting to waste away and die, and after ECT are full of life and energy and so thankful.

We have loved ones of our patients come and volunteer here after seeing the difference it made in their lives.

If you aren't an evil person and actually want to learn about the mind, read Dianetics. Until then, have fun pretending.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

Same here. 30 seconds in the psych's office and he wrote a script. Absolutely would not talk to me. The Zoloft he prescribed made me suicidal in 5 days. I quit.

The SSRI drugs take away the brain's ability to reason. The anxiety turns into "who cares? Everyone is better off without me."

I upped my intake of probiotic foods and anxiety vanished. I still worry at times, but not to the level of the anxiety attacks.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

www.alz.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

If you aren't an evil person and actually want to learn about the mind, read Dianetics. Until then, have fun pretending.

Hahahahahaha. Dianetics? Bye.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

www.alz.org...

www.thedailybeast.com...

Hahahahahaha. Dianetics? Bye.

Have you ever read it?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I know all about scientology. Say no more. There is no reasoning with people who choose to be brain washed. Or do you really think aliens flying DC-8 like spaceships millions of years ago are the cause of all our mental problems.

Hilarious.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would say that psychiatric practice is 50% effective if, and that if is a big if, the psychiatrist knows what they're doing, is actually interested in helping his patients and his patients aren't permanently mentally damaged. But still, 50% chance is pretty low probability. Psychiatry is a trial-and-error based practice filled with unsolved mysteries and malpractice as many psychiatrists are themselves mentally ill. I'm not going to fully discredit the practice of psychiatry as there are a few people here and there who made full mental recoveries through psychiatric treatment, but I ain't going to call it failsafe either.

edit on 19-5-2017 by Profundity because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profundity
I would say that psychiatric practice is 50% effective if, and that if is a big if, the psychiatrist knows what they're doing, is actually interested in helping his patients and his patients aren't permanently mentally damaged. But still, 50% chance is pretty low probability. Psychiatry is a trial-and-error based practice filled with unsolved mysteries and malpractice as many psychiatrists are themselves mentally ill. I'm not going to fully discredit the practice of psychiatry as there are a few people here and there who made full mental recoveries through psychiatric treatment, but I ain't going to call it failsafe either.

I work in an inpatient psychiatric hospital. I would say 99.9% of our patients improve significantly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join