It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good is Psychiatry?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I really don't get it. What is the purpose of Psychiatry? They're failures. They don't know what a mind is, they can't define "sanity" or "insanity," they can't cure a single person with a mental disorder. It astounds me! The only results they get, in the big picture, is negative results. Insanity by their own admission is skyrocketing! They don't know the source of a single mental illness!

An expert is somebody who gets results. Psychiatry doesn't get results.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aristotelian1

they serve absolutely no purpose.

i am #ing scared.
edit on 16-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

no.actually i am totally empty. I liad!

edit on 16-4-2017 by xbeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: xbeta

they serve absolutely no purpose.

i am #ing scared.

no.actually i am totally empty. I liad!

Hey that was pretty convincing!! Lol

@Aristotelian1

They make huge profits. That's all they're good for. I heard a great quote on a documentary:

"The clinical definition of ADHD is someone who performs better on amphetamines."

Psychologists are actually helpful, though. I would say only go to a psychiatrist as a last resort, always try a psychologist first. They will tell you right away if you're beyond their abilities and need a psychiatrist. Also, it helps that referring you to a psychiatrist doesn't make any money for the psychologist, so they will only do that if you really need it. Psychologists can teach relaxation exercises if you suffer from stress or anxiety, they can teach coping mechanisms, they can help you understand your mind. Interestingly it doesn't matter what kind of psychologist you use, all approaches have about the same success rates which are comparable to the success rates of psychiatric drugs but without all the side effects or withdrawal symptoms. The best clinical outcomes come from a combination of psychiatry and psychology, but if you can get fixed without the pills, you can save yourself a lot of grief.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   

You are right. People give Psychiatry credit because it's the "norm".

I remember when I had an anxiety disorder, my Psychologist told me that it's all about brain chemistry, and I have no choice but to take medications. Luckily I proved her wrong.

Hopefully both fields will go in the dustbin one day..
edit on 16-4-2017 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

edit on 16-4-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

i am not again wondering. noooo

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Well, its good for making manchurian assassins. Give credit where its due!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
In my opinion, it is something created to push all sorts of meds that have no business being taken by people.

It's puedo-science, they rarely do any tests, yet do we even understand or have a baseline on how much serotonin SHOULD be in someone, let alone what is normal serotonin levels?

Lets not forget that everyone is an individual, so there COULD be a baseline, but only a percentage of everyone will fit in it; we're all different.

Wait.... I don't have a degree and or Alphabet-soup after my name on office paper, what could "I" possibly know..

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
What a load...

"What good is ..." and then anecdotal evidence to back it up.

But I get that a lot from woo woo's... just think happy, and you'll be happy. well, yeah nah. I'll just self medicate myself into an early grave. There are a whole bunch of useless professionals out there, but the right with for you, just might save your life.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   
it is so useless instead we could put the patients in a washing machine and swirl them real fast. it would help just as much as current psychiatry does. there could be big machines for that and we could all watch like football.. i like watching washing machines.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It is a Pseudo Science. Some day we will have real doctors who check on a quantum level (quantum biologists) what is really going on and troubleshoot the different states of being.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

www.evolutionnews.org...

According to Nick Craddock, professor of psychiatry at Cardiff University, also writing for New Scientist, psychiatry is still waiting for its “Higgs boson moment,” when some prediction-come-true from biological theory will actually confirm its legitimacy. He says, “Not since Freud’s pseudoscientific theories early last century has psychiatry claimed any broad theoretical basis for making sense of our normal and abnormal feelings, thinking and social behaviours — the complexities at the heart of being human.” In other words, psychiatry never made it to scientific status in the first place. Its claims remain “atheoretical,” he believes, even though he is optimistic its day will come.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

If you have no one to talk to about your problems, then Psychiatrists are there for that and they do a good job at making people feel better. After that its down to the individual to find out what works best for him or her? What positions to put themselves in. Where to go, who to see, where to live, which enviroments are best for their health.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Because some of the stuff they come up with is very thought provoking. I enjoy reading some of their theories and the cause/effect ideas they have. It doesn't mean I always believe what they are selling, but some of the ideas are unique and original. What harm is there in approaching with an open mind. Is the foundation of your reality that shaky that an open mind is destructive. Quick, put a label of 'bad' on it.....ahhhh so much better.

Yes they are just humans like the rest of us. They are simply trying to figure out this reality, like the rest of us. There is fraud in that discipline, just like the rest of life.

The ultimate responsibility is still up to the individual on whether they will incorporate that information into their reality or not.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If you have no one to talk to about your problems, then Psychiatrists are there for that and they do a good job at making people feel better. After that its down to the individual to find out what works best for him or her? What positions to put themselves in. Where to go, who to see, where to live, which enviroments are best for their health.

But think of how silly that is from a profession that claims to THE authority on the mind and claims to be a medical field. Mental problems are real and serious stuff. If you had cancer, would you want a cancer "expert" that could just talk to you about your cancer? They exist to CURE someone's insanity, not talk to them and tell them they are their own person. They are utter failures.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
There is a need - in certain circumstances. For example, when someone is addicted to heroin or for the study of alzheimer's.

But as the OP said, the entire field is based on very unscientific information. And the little of scientific info there is used to support mass changes in society. For example, they find out pill A will calm children down. So they start to mass drug all hyper children - all without testing long-term physical of socials effect or perhaps considering children shouldn't be drugged.

edit on April 16th 2017 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Then see a priest. Or ask grandma. They won't dive into meds.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1
I really don't get it. What is the purpose of Psychiatry? They're failures. They don't know what a mind is, they can't define "sanity" or "insanity," they can't cure a single person with a mental disorder. It astounds me! The only results they get, in the big picture, is negative results. Insanity by their own admission is skyrocketing! They don't know the source of a single mental illness!

An expert is somebody who gets results. Psychiatry doesn't get results.

Psychology and Psychiatry have always been fringe quack science. We know dick about the INDIVIDUAL human brain.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

So is a psychiatrist acceptable and only the psychologist is despicable?

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
There is a need - in certain circumstances. For example, when someone is addicted to heroin or for the study of alzheimer's.

But as the OP said, the entire field is based on very unscientific information. And the little of scientific info there is used to support mass changes in society. For example, they find out pill A will calm children down. So they start to mass drugging all hyper children - all without testing long-term physical of socials effect or perhaps considering children shouldn't be drugged.

I want to address the first part of your post. Drug abuse is skyrocketing, they are failing utterly there. They have no cure for alzheimer.

And yes, childhood is not a mental illness.Although that doesn't stop them from drugging children with speed. Yes, actual real speed that can be sold on the street as such(riddilin.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join