It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth based sci fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am in need of some new material. Ive gone thru all of 2001 space, 2010, 2061, 3001. Rama, rama ii and so on. The long earth series. First born series, time for the stars, hitch hikers guide, pretty much all of a.c. clark. Thought about going down the disc world universe, but quickly decided against after starting magic. I've even went thru the hunger games, andromeda, and sphere. It doesn't get better than 2001, and rama series for me, but I'd like something interesting.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

You could read mine. See the footer of this post.

If you want to explore lots of new ideas, try the Short Stories forum.

Many of those are Sci Fi.

That forum will keep you going for a long time.

P

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I'll check it out.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Firefly series is good followed by the movie Serenity.

The SyFy series The Expanse is terrific.

If you want to try a really cool older movie: Forbidden Planet

Blade Runner is really good.

Brazil is fun if you like dystopia stuff. I love it when the trucker girl goes bad. And the way his mother becomes his girlfriend after all the plastic surgeries.

Moon is good movie.

District 9 is good.

I am Number Four is okay. The girl on the motorcycle is awesome.

Star Trek 2008 is good. And Into the Darkness is my favorite Star Trek movie all-time.

Edge of Tomorrow is really good but you have to watch at least 50 times to get the full effect.

Oblivion is a good movie too.

Outland is pretty good.

The Arrival is good.

Repo Man - I like what Otto says to his girlfriend about relationship at the end of the movie.

10 Cloverfield Lane was fun. Great twist at the end.

Silent Running - SAVE THE TREES!

THX-1138

If you want a really campy sci-fi TV series try looking at the British show U.F.O:

www.youtube.com...

Here's the first episode: www.youtube.com...

UFO is really sexists stuff. It's great just for that!

And if you want another British gem watch Red Drawf:

www.dailymotion.com...

Red Drawf has some really good sci-fi in it.

edit on 15-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There is Valerian et Laureline comic books. I think there is an english adaptation. There is a movie coming out this year about the serie. I'd recommend you read it all first, if you wish to see it.

Also, The Incal, from Moebius and Jodorosky.

Valerian is from the 70's. It had influence on Star Wars as it predates it. The Incal is from the 80's. Pretty different from what we usually see. haha.

And there are derivatives from the Incal universe with the Metabaron series. Also Before the Incal.
You should be surprised.

Valerian and Laureline

The Incal

MetaBaron

PS added images of the MetaBaron series from Juan Gimenez, just because he is an insanely talented penciler.

edit on 15-4-2017 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I looking for books or audiobooks. I do enjoy a lot of what you listed though. Thank you

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crumbles
a reply to: dfnj2015

I looking for books or audiobooks. I do enjoy a lot of what you listed though. Thank you

The Foundation series by Asimov - must read.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

A couple of stories by John Wyndham.

The Midwich Cuckoos ( later turned into the film " Village Of The Damned " ).

www.goodreads.com...

The Day Of The Triffids.

www.goodreads.com...

Wyndham publishes numerous other Si-Fi novels which are worth checking out.

en.wikipedia.org...

Apart from his two most famous stories " The Time Machine " and " War Of The Worlds " H.G. Wells wrote numerous other Si-Fi works which are worth a read.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-4-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Definitely go through the John Wyndham novels and short stories. The Kraken Wakes is one of my favourites.

You said you had read The Long Earth series, so you should try Steven Baxter's solo works?

Good, hard sci-fi in the tradition of Wyndham and Clarke. Lots to choose from, so will keep you busy for ages! Personal favourite is Evolution, a collection of short stories really but ones that meld into a novel. Starts off telling the story of a small mammalian creature that survives the end of the dinosaurs and follows it through evolution into present day humans and then beyond. How humanity ends up is chilling.

Greg Bear too maybe? Enjoyed his work, but not read any of his stuff for ages.

And honestly? Give the Discworld another go. I was the same as you when someone recommended it to me. "I hate books about goblins and dwarves" I remember saying, but my friend convinced me it wasn't like that and I'm glad he did. First couple of books aren't the best in the series by any means, but there are some crackers later on!

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Lots of the Asimov books are based in the at the time would of been the future. They generally are sci fi but more based on the story and the peoples and than the tech other than the 3 laws. Good reads and they expand the mind as they challenge views that are still valid even today.

Even 20+ years later i still say purple as poiple in a brooklyn accent as a brit after reading one of his proper science books.
edit on 16-4-2017 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Do you know the order? Seems a lot of material based on foundation. Including prelude and forward.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Just did a search. I'm going to have a listen at work tomorrow. If it keeps my attention I'll be happy.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ty everyone. I'll have quite a bit to go through.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crumbles

Do you know the order? Seems a lot of material based on foundation. Including prelude and forward.

Prelude to Foundation came out after the original Foundation series.

I suggest you read them in the order they were published, even if it might seem odd, from a story chronology point of view, kind of like starting Star Wars with episode 4 . I also added below a number so you can read in fictional story order if you prefer

Original Trilogy:
3-Foundation (1951)
4-Foundation and Empire (1952)
5-Second Foundation (1953)

6-Foundation's Edge (1982)
7-Foundation and Earth (1986)
1-Prelude to Foundation (1988)
2-Forward the Foundation (1993)

Awesome must read SF books
Have fun

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Thank you much
. Any incite on heilmen?
edit on 19-4-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You mean Robert Heinlein ? Starship Troopers is well known.

I suggest you read "Dune" by Frank Herbert.
I read it long before the 1984 movie came out;that much criticized movie and soundtrack best captures the dark spirit of the book.

One day, it will be a classic, like Blade Runner has become.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I have dune queued up for a later date. I like time for the stars by him.

top topics

join