It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agnosticism Is A Way To Stay On The Fence, Until It Falls

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Your experience is yours alone.

You can't pass experience from yourself to others without losing a lot of the meaning in translation, even when the one you are trying to share with speaks the same language.

I often wonder what it is all for in the end.

The explanation that it is about God and eternity just doesn't cut it, especially because eternity isn't even proven scientifically yet, or disproven.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Careful...

You might accidentally make yourself into a "crazy person".

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

You don't get what I'm saying. You can't disregard someone's personal experiences as having never happened simply because they're unprovable.

That is fallacious reasoning.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I don't disregard what someone is trying to explain to me just because I can't relate to the experience personally because I didn't experience it myself.

...But because someone tries to explain an experience to me does not mean I am going to incorporate what they try to explain into my thoughts and actions...

I consider what people are trying to explain, and save it for later for when the thing they tried to explain, that I may not have understood, is proven through self evidence later through my own experience.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Most agnostics are really agnostic atheists.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Your ability to relate to the person who had the experience is not the issue.

You claim no one can know with certainty that God exists.

I dispute that. If one has personally experienced God, through say, revelation or even theophany, there is no basis for anyone to claim it never happened.

That is, unless you have already made up your mind that it is impossible, in which case you are not an agnostic.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Unless you can distinctly define god, there is no way you could possibly know that what you experienced was truly god.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Can you not be an Agnostic Atheist?

Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact. en.wikipedia.org...

OR an Agnostic Theist?

Agnostic theism is the philosophical view that encompasses both theism and agnosticism. An agnostic theist believes in the existence of a god or God, but regards the basis of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable. It can also mean that there is one high ruler, but it is unknowable or unknown who or what it is.[1] The agnostic theist may also or alternatively be agnostic regarding the properties of God. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Unless you can distinctly define god, there is no way you could possibly know that what you experienced was truly god.

True.

I've had experiences I attribute to energy connection - - as I believe everything is energy.

Those in a religious congregation can experience a euphoria of connected energy.

But, how is it different then those who experience a euphoria of connected energy at a sports event?

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I experience what I consider a "euphoric" sensation right when the alcohol just kicks in, I keep drinking more and more trying to get that feeling again.

Never works...

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

But unless you knew that what you experienced was God, how would you define Him?

That blade is a double edged one!

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

True.

I've had experiences I attribute to energy connection - - as I believe everything is energy.

Those in a religious congregation can experience a euphoria of connected energy.

But, how is it different then those who experience a euphoria of connected energy at a sports event?

I feel connected energy all the time at music concerts. You can actually feel when a musician's playing is feeding off of the energy of the crowd. That # is magical, but I wouldn't call it a religious experience.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

But unless you knew that what you experienced was God, how would you define Him?

That blade is a double edged one!

That's why you don't assume god is true first then look for evidence to support. You either assume the negative (atheism) or nothing at all (agnosticism). You just build evidence first and then let the evidence paint the story for you. If the story painted comes across as godlike then you can start thinking that god is real.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Is that actually you in your avatar?.

My hair is longer...

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

I experience what I consider a "euphoric" sensation right when the alcohol just kicks in, I keep drinking more and more trying to get that feeling again.

Never works...

I have suggestions for you for that but they aren't allowed by the T&C.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You should never assume anything about anything.

If you do not "assume", you're still open to see the truth when it becomes self evident.

Assumption closes the mind.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

You should never assume anything about anything.

If you do not "assume", you're still open to see the truth when it becomes self evident.

Assumption closes the mind.

Yep. That's why I laugh at threads like this. Agnosticism (well agnostic atheism) is the most logical outlook when viewing religions. Humans are notoriously bad guessers and ALL religions can all be distilled down into humans guessing on how religiosity works.

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I've tried many things that I cannot mention here already.

The most effective is intense physical activity for prolonged periods, like two months...

I wish I could get my money and time back for all those things I tried that didn't work...

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Have you tried a sensory deprivation tank yet? I was reading up on sensory deprivation therapy recently. Apparently its super relaxing. Some even have religious experiences in them. Then once you get out everything is supposed to look brand new again.
edit on 12-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I Guess...

(good hearted sarcasm)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join