It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Washington Corruption is Worse Than You Think’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is the title of Rep Ken Buck's ( R Co) soon to be released book. The excerpts come from a chapter released to Newsmax and Breitbart

Reading below will tell you exactly why term limits are essential if we are to have anything near a republic or democracy.

The first 3 excerpts and last are from Newsmax, the rest from Breitbart.

As a first term congressman, I was excited to read the House Budget Committee's 2015 plan for balancing the budget in ten years. What I found alarmed me; it was all make-believe: projections without plans, assumptions that were in some cases contradictory. The budget claimed savings from repealing Obamacare (still a wish rather than a reality), while simultaneously counting Obamacare taxes as ongoing revenue. The budget plan magically cut food stamps and welfare by $1 trillion without a plan do so and tossed in $147 billion in assumed "dynamic" economic growth for good measure.

A member of the Republican Whip asked if I was a yes or no vote on the budget; I told him I was neither. I was a hell no!

"But why?" he asked. "The budget balances in ten years."
I asked him how long he had been in Congress.
"Fourteen years."
"Did they tell you ten years ago, that the budget would balance in ten years?"
He sighed. "You're right, this budget will never balance."

Most Americans don't realize that influence in Congress comes with a price tag. Members are required to pay for committee assignments. Chairmen are required to pay for their chairmanships. The speaker, leader, and Whip compete for the leadership position and then must pay millions of dollars for the honor of holding the office. Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

Numerous high-level members of the Republican House leadership have confirmed to me that committees are ranked. The ranking system is understood by members, though seldom spoken of. Committees are assigned letters—A, B, or C—based on how important they are deemed to be by leadership.

There are five A committees in the House: Appropriations, Ways and Means, Energy and Commerce, Rules, and Financial Services. Both parties use committee appointments to raise money. If you want to serve on a committee in Congress, you have to pay for the privilege.

He goes on to say these committees are ranked by how much money they bring in to RNCCC. This committee's goal is to keep current Reps and Senators in office unless they don't follow the party line or keep up dues.

Deputy Whip $2.5 million

Conference Chair $5 million

Whip $5 million

Majority Leader $10 million

Speaker $20 million

When representatives don’t pay their “dues” or fall behind, they are pressured to pay up—or else. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard similar stories from countless others.

Candidates’ ability to raise cash is largely influenced by how well they play the game with leadership, and if you don’t pay your dues, you can’t use the NRCC call suites (or other benefits like the NRCC recording studios) to raise money.

The real partisanship in Washington isn’t between political parties or about political principle; it is within parties, where leaders punish members who don’t play the game. In Congress, the consensus has been, it’s better to sink the nation with debt than rock the boat with reform. If we’re going to drain the swamp, we need to change that.

Committee assignments, then, are less about qualifications than they are about cash—or, to put it another way, cash is the chief qualification you need. Aside from his outstanding policy credentials, House Speaker Paul Ryan is certainly well qualified for his position— he raised more than $50 million in 2016

The speaker, leader, and Whip compete for the leadership position and then must pay millions of dollars for the honor of holding the office. Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

A couple years ago there was an article and thread telling about our congressmen spending 4 hours per day fund raising and votes were scheduled around this

Every member of every state gov needs a copy of this. Many won't care cause it would cut them off. But some would. Local news media. Wherever.
Don't know if there is a way to make this end if everyone doesn't know and media isn't likely to report

edit on 11-4-2017 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I know somewhat what happens in Washington DC but do not know a lot of the particulars. A new congressman goes there with high hopes of getting something done for the people who elected him and most times has to make deceitful deals to get anything for the people he represents. They seem to give money for things that are not needed instead of fixing things that are needed by the citizens too.

Deception runs this country and the head of it is based in DC....De Ception.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Your post brought this latest Newsbud to mind

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I thought it was a known fact that once elected, pretty much all they do is pick pockets and hold out their hands for cash to be able to pay for their re election?

That's the problem with our government at this critical juncture of our nations future. Money rules!

TERM LIMITS will prevent this nonsense of cash is king and bring these power hungry idiots to their knees knowing that running for office won't become a career! Next step is treating Corporate Lobbyists like a sane society would treat Pedophiles. Lobbyists aren't a whole lot better IMO considering they are the ones responsible for pimping out our elected officials.....

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yes, and he was one of them, rated the worst congressman in the gov. He mentions this in the Newmax article. Personally it seems like a badge of honor.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
No wonder they all seem so "preoccupied" when giving news conferences !!

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It is time to get rid of everyone in Congress. Definitely the people who have been there more than four years. The longer they stay the more corrupt they get. I am still disgusted with those in congress who sign the loyalty oath to Israel. Which is everyone who gets to keep their seat.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Haven't seen the vid but Sybil Edmonds is on of the few people I trust.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Again, it's based on money, not merit. Who you know, not what you know. Your ability to lie, not the lies you expose.

Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

I wonder if this also has an effect on the outcome of their investigations?

Great thread, S+F.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sounds like every Mafia movie I have seen, as far as being a "good earner".

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

That book will get 404'd.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I can't even read your entire post because it sickens me so much. Though the title of the book is wrong, I can believe it. It's like saying, you won't believe how loose this prostitutes morals are.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You have to wonder why some people actually want to give Washington DC more money, power, and control over our lives? DC is corrupt to it's core, the less it is involved in anything, the better it is for the People. Give DC control over our healthcare, our education, regulations, what could go wrong?
edit on 11-4-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

we dont want to give washington sh1t. They extort it.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Agree with all you said but will add that I have no doubt there is a similar process in as so called western democracies.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ragnar Lothbrok, a character from Vikings, succinctly stated my view of people who are in and seek to be in power.

Ragnar: What do you see?
Bjorn: Power, the power of a king.
Ragnar: Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst and corrupts the best. I never asked for power. Power is only given to those who are prepared to lower themselves to pick it up.

Vikings

I would say that's a pretty good summary of, certainly today's leaders, leaders throughout most of history. People put their faith in individuals who firstly have no idea of what it is to live the life of those they represent. Secondly, the few that may have been so far removed from such a lifestyle, it's the epitome of naivete to think they even care.

I have never really understood the notion that someone who has never had to struggle to make ends meet are somehow "experts" on what should be done to make things better for those who do struggle to make ends meet. To me, such a concept is the height of irrationality. However, historically, that has been the held notion not only amongst the elite but the "peasants" as well.

It's a real head scratcher to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

we dont want to give washington sh1t. They extort it.

I don't agree. Democrats want to give DC control over our healthcare, education, regulations, energy policy, policing, everything. That's half the country who has no problem giving tremendous power and massive wealth to DC, because they trust government over their fellow citizens. Sad, but true.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Again, it's based on money, not merit. Who you know, not what you know. Your ability to lie, not the lies you expose.

Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

I wonder if this also has an effect on the outcome of their investigations?

Great thread, S+F.

You well know it does. The law means nothing anymore, esp with the understanding CIA has something on the majority of gov.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn
This is the title of Rep Ken Buck's ( R Co) soon to be released book. The excerpts come from a chapter released to Newsmax and Breitbart

Reading below will tell you exactly why term limits are essential if we are to have anything near a republic or democracy.

The first 3 excerpts and last are from Newsmax, the rest from Breitbart.

As a first term congressman, I was excited to read the House Budget Committee's 2015 plan for balancing the budget in ten years. What I found alarmed me; it was all make-believe: projections without plans, assumptions that were in some cases contradictory. The budget claimed savings from repealing Obamacare (still a wish rather than a reality), while simultaneously counting Obamacare taxes as ongoing revenue. The budget plan magically cut food stamps and welfare by $1 trillion without a plan do so and tossed in $147 billion in assumed "dynamic" economic growth for good measure.

A member of the Republican Whip asked if I was a yes or no vote on the budget; I told him I was neither. I was a hell no!

"But why?" he asked. "The budget balances in ten years."
I asked him how long he had been in Congress.
"Fourteen years."
"Did they tell you ten years ago, that the budget would balance in ten years?"
He sighed. "You're right, this budget will never balance."

Most Americans don't realize that influence in Congress comes with a price tag. Members are required to pay for committee assignments. Chairmen are required to pay for their chairmanships. The speaker, leader, and Whip compete for the leadership position and then must pay millions of dollars for the honor of holding the office. Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

Numerous high-level members of the Republican House leadership have confirmed to me that committees are ranked. The ranking system is understood by members, though seldom spoken of. Committees are assigned letters—A, B, or C—based on how important they are deemed to be by leadership.

There are five A committees in the House: Appropriations, Ways and Means, Energy and Commerce, Rules, and Financial Services. Both parties use committee appointments to raise money. If you want to serve on a committee in Congress, you have to pay for the privilege.

He goes on to say these committees are ranked by how much money they bring in to RNCCC. This committee's goal is to keep current Reps and Senators in office unless they don't follow the party line or keep up dues.

Deputy Whip $2.5 million

Conference Chair $5 million

Whip $5 million

Majority Leader $10 million

Speaker $20 million

When representatives don’t pay their “dues” or fall behind, they are pressured to pay up—or else. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard similar stories from countless others.

Candidates’ ability to raise cash is largely influenced by how well they play the game with leadership, and if you don’t pay your dues, you can’t use the NRCC call suites (or other benefits like the NRCC recording studios) to raise money.

The real partisanship in Washington isn’t between political parties or about political principle; it is within parties, where leaders punish members who don’t play the game. In Congress, the consensus has been, it’s better to sink the nation with debt than rock the boat with reform. If we’re going to drain the swamp, we need to change that.

Committee assignments, then, are less about qualifications than they are about cash—or, to put it another way, cash is the chief qualification you need. Aside from his outstanding policy credentials, House Speaker Paul Ryan is certainly well qualified for his position— he raised more than $50 million in 2016

The speaker, leader, and Whip compete for the leadership position and then must pay millions of dollars for the honor of holding the office. Lobbyists, corporations, and wealthy individuals who need something from Congress raise the money.

A couple years ago there was an article and thread telling about our congressmen spending 4 hours per day fund raising and votes were scheduled around this

Every member of every state gov needs a copy of this. Many won't care cause it would cut them off. But some would. Local news media. Wherever.
Don't know if there is a way to make this end if everyone doesn't know and media isn't likely to report

Suspect most ATS'ers already know these things.

Problem with limited terms: they look good from the current situation, but you can bet that as soon as it was announced, and before it was even implemented: TPTB will have found-out how to control that to their advantage anyways, including cushy retirement packages sitting on executive boards of corporations, and also sweet options packages.

It's good that he is talking about it, and it probably about the same in most countries.
How did an honest man make it to congress? ( Just kidding. )

A lot of people are making a lot of money in the swamp, and they don't want to give it up.

What can be done?

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

So, that's different than now? They serve 20 or 30 years now and guess what... They get package deals, lifetime pensions and cushy jobs after.
edit on 11-4-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join