It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 years after the fall of the Soviet Iron Curtain, another one projected to exist in North America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The Peace of God to all that belong to the light,
Dear readers,

On 1989 the democratic revolutions in Poland, Hungary and Romania started the collapse of the Iron Curtain that was dividing Europe in two halves since 1949, it took 40 years that the liberty again became spread in all that continent to be able to heal the scares of the intolerance, fundamentalism and ultra Nationalism, all attributes of the Fascism and Communist Eras.

Winston Churchill, March 5th of 1946, From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an "Iron Curtain" has descended across the continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe. Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and Sofia; all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the Soviet sphere, and all are subject, in one form or another, not only to Soviet influence but to a very high and in some cases increasing measure of control from Moscow.

In two years that would be an extraordinary happy occasion to celebrate by all the progressive forces of the world, by all the peoples of any faith, ethnical background and political preferences that love liberty, but unfortunately instead of that America will reach such a anniversary by have built another iron curtain to separate itself of the rest of the Americas, except possibly Canada and we are not certain for how long.

Böcker, Anita (1998), Regulation of Migration: International Experiences, Het Spinhuis, ISBN 90-5589-095-2
Migration from east to west of the Iron Curtain, except under limited circumstances, was effectively halted after 1950. Before 1950, over 15 million people (mainly ethnic Germans) emigrated from Soviet-occupied eastern European countries to the west in the five years immediately following World War II.

Can really walls offer solutions to the problems of nations? we have seen that historically they never have stopped the world to be integrated, more inclusive and to let the free flow of ideas to happen in between one side of the world and other.

Böcker, Anita (1998), Regulation of Migration: International Experiences, Het Spinhuis, ISBN 90-5589-095-2

restrictions implemented during the Cold War stopped most East-West migration, with only 13.3 million migrations westward between 1950 and 1990

The Adrian wall built by the Roman Empire didn't prevent the unification of the Great Britain, the Chinese world in between China and Mongolia didn't prevent the modernization of that country under the Mogol rule, the Berlin wall and the different systems of fences and other regional walls made to separate the communist european countries from their democratic counterparts in the post war Europe also collapsed in between 1989 and 1991.

Walls are typically of the xenophobic mentality, they reveal not really thirst of progress but to the contrary fear of anything that look new or different and perhaps better.

June 23th 1963, Berlin, President John F. Kennedy:
While the wall is the most obvious and vivid demonstration of the failures of the Communist system -- for all the world to see -- we take no satisfaction in it; for it is, as your Mayor has said, an offense not only against history but an offense against humanity, separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters, and dividing a people who wish to be joined together.

Historically nations that isolate from the rest of the world enter in decadence, migration is vital to contribute to the prosperity of any country, since it put a nation in contact with the powerful current of universal civilization, the root from which any other civilization comes, that it is proven is a construction of diversity, it enhance with the exchange of inventions, ideas, points of view between different peoples.

President Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987, Berlin
We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace.

General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Thanks for your attention, the thread is open to all of the ones that feel compelled by the huge contradiction that exist in between truly progress and the cultures of walls and fences.

The Angel of Lightness

+31 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Total bull#. The Iron curtain kept their Soviet citizens from escaping the tyranny of communist rule. Trumps wall is keeping illegals out so they have to immigrate the legal way like everyone else in the history of this nation did.

A pure piece of Russian propaganda.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

I agree. Isolationism is bad for social progress and holds a country back.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree. Isolationism is bad for social progress and holds a country back.

Isolation is what Bernie Sanders wanted to do, shrink back within our borders and abandon our allies.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

No he didn't. That was all Trump. There was never a point where Bernie wanted to abandon our allies.
edit on 11-4-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And wide open borders saves an economy, right?

OP, the liberal mentality of wide open borders OR BUST is what brought things so far gone that a wall is justified. And liberal intolerance itself already compromised this great utopian vision you have there.

link   

Russian Propaganda, Really?

please don't make me laugh!

Very interesting, well your words are exactly in the same line of what Vladimir Putin has exhaustively said since November, that all of the ones that oppose the wall with Mexico are liars that are trying to undermine certain politician that he clearly prefer to deal with.

Now, it happen that I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to our Congress, especially the investigation commission of the Senate that happen to think in exactly the other way around of your funny claim!

It seems my friend that many Americans do not see exactly the things in the same way you look at them, and it seems they are the majority for about three millions and half at least.

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 4/11/2017 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

My favorite part is how the Chinese shouldn't have built a wall to try and prevent the Mongols from dominating them. Your next piece should argue that societies shouldn't have built armies to protect themselves from invading imperialists.
edit on 11-4-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Did I say that? No. Just another silly strawman from you.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

OP, the liberal mentality of wide open borders OR BUST is what brought things so far gone that a wall is justified. And liberal intolerance itself already compromised this great utopian vision you have there.

Wide open borders did not do that - lazyness did that.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Straw man? Dude went off the charts arguing against walls no matter the circumstances, and your only applause was 'well duh isolationism is bad', when the subject of the border wall is about curbing unfettered immigration, drugs trade and weapons.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

No he didn't. That was all Trump. There was never a point where Bernie wanted to abandon our allies.

Communist Bernie would be pulling the troops out of everywhere and giving the Pacific to China, letting S Korea get raped, pillaged and burned to the ground, thanking Putin for the wonderful job he did removing Assad's Sarin Gas and sipping vodka cocktails while Israel gets pushed into a corner and has to nuke somebody.

This obvious Russian propaganda is obvious.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Straw man? Dude went off the charts arguing against walls no matter the circumstances, and your only applause was 'well duh isolationism is bad', when the subject of the border wall is about curbing unfettered immigration, drugs trade and weapons.

You could always try asking me what my stance on the border is instead of arrogantly assuming my position for me. But I guess in your world there are only two positions. Your position and the strawman in your head for whoever disagrees.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Communist Bernie

Stopped reading there. No need to go any further if you are just going to give me that partisan schlock and aren't even going to ATTEMPT to form your own opinion.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

If Mexico had built the wall to keep it's citizens (and others) from illegally leaving their country while making it virturally impossible to migrate...to a point the world (the US included) would protect defectors...

Perhaps there would be a point.

mg

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Do you want borders for the US?

(post by TinfoilTP removed for political trolling and baiting)
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Since I've never not one single time seen you take a position on anything that wasn't straight out of the Liberal Handbook of Internet Virtue Signalling, it didn't seem like I needed to.

But go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Reminder: Forum - History

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Reminder: Forum - History

This thread was started using Russian revisionist history, there is no accurate history conveyed in the OP.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join