It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here lived the cold war?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golantrevize
a reply to: makemap

I think China would just sit this one up and enjoy the show to become number 1 once Russia and USA go at it.

Or smarter, ally with USA on conditions of annexation of the Siberia they so much want once Russia falls.

The problem is too many Americans have an Agenda to takeover China(like Mcarthur). China can't ally US because US keeps trying to play Boss of Asia. That is not how it works when it comes to different races. Also India might cause problems. India also has agendas. It will depend if US allies India to take on China. No one knows what India will actually do. If any case, China might get involved with Paki-India war. Unless of course they sit that one out. Then again India could try to invade China anytime to drag it into war. China staying out of the war seems almost impossible unless India, Pakistan and China both agree to sit out.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: makemap
I think its the isolated Westerners that are afraid this time around and probably Russia because the West is building up and antagonizing Russians. China has the world by trade, it isn't any threat unless you make her a threat. Unlike the Cold War era everyone is free to travel now a days with all the tourism. Plus you don't have the all mighty Soviet Union threatening the West these days. So, no it doesn't seem as scary as the cold war era, less people with agenda's. The only threat are those who are willingly to use nukes on purpose.

If you really think China is scary, you can actually travel there for tourism and see how scary it is. It is not a threat to be honest because they don't act like NK or Corporate America. You'll know when American army starts invading China, you won't be ready and you probably won't know what happen because media. So pissing off China is not the way to go.

China OWNS the precious metals market! Computers, cell phones, etc. etc. I am not bashing China for cornering the market by any means, but if China owns and possesses the material of the technology of the "future" and the likes of George Soros who is on record saying he wants the Yuan to take over the US dollar? Why did the western world allow China to corner the market on precious metals?

There are much BIGGER things in the works that we can even imagine........

America is too corrupt to be honest to even own things. George Soros have been caught with his own agenda. He cares about nobody. He is just some rich guy living in the West. He is all about the money.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

With US aircraft carrier-led strike group headed toward Korean Peninsula right now you can watch the "Day After" again just for fun!

www.youtube.com...

The 15 minutes leading up to the 50th minute will give you nightmares!!

John Lithgow was great in the 39th minute.

I like the gal buying the paper towels in the 43th minute. What was she thinking???

I like the couple going upstairs in the 44th minute.

The 45th minute the girl finds out there's going to be a nuclear war on her wedding day. Not a good start.

Around the 50th minute is when the real freak out begins.

The housewife in the 51st minute reminds me of my mother when I was growing up. That is exactly how my mother would react. Angry and in denial.

The 58th minute says it all.

edit on 8-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize

China is already #1. The USA just has adjusted to its bankrupt status yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

we called them sections, and it changed back and forth over the years. from two to three having 42 Marines in each section had to pull 48 on and 48 off down in the pound. down in the pound you were on post 4hrs on 8 hrs off with three shifts. one Marine stood duty on the navy side front and rear gates with a roaming corporal of the guard (COG). the Sergent of the Guard (SOG) stayed down in the pound most of the time. the officer of the guard (OFG) in the barracks office, with a reactionary force that responded to security breaches.some of the off compound duty section or sections Marines after the change, would pull foot patrols around the perimeter of base, some would patrols in APC's.

so at any given time there were about 100 marines there, there was also a barracks at NAS Jacksonville that would respond if needed.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

a reply to: seeker1963

They also own land all over Canada. And are everywhere in Africa.

You can blame the Canadians that left the next generation to suffer for that. I heard in school was majority of the real Canadians went to America to make more money and leaving Canada because of Cold weather. I am not very surprised about that to be honest. Canadians abandoned their own land for what? More money. Today, I'm seeing more and more people who are from other countries, mostly brown people in schools(probably ME refugee crisis). Even then Canada lost most of its own companies and airforce(avro).
Canada would have been building their own weapons today if their gov didn't kill their own military complex. You see the LAV APC American army has? It originated from Canada.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I think its the isolated Westerners that are afraid this time around and probably Russia because the West is building up and antagonizing Russians. China has the world by trade, it isn't any threat unless you make her a threat. Unlike the Cold War era everyone is free to travel now a days with all the tourism. Plus you don't have the all mighty Soviet Union threatening the West these days. So, no it doesn't seem as scary as the cold war era, less people with agenda's. The only threat are those who are willingly to use nukes on purpose.

If you really think China is scary, you can actually travel there for tourism and see how scary it is. It is not a threat to be honest because they don't act like NK or Corporate America. You'll know when American army starts invading China, you won't be ready and you probably won't know what happen because media. So pissing off China is not the way to go.

China OWNS the precious metals market! Computers, cell phones, etc. etc. I am not bashing China for cornering the market by any means, but if China owns and possesses the material of the technology of the "future" and the likes of George Soros who is on record saying he wants the Yuan to take over the US dollar? Why did the western world allow China to corner the market on precious metals?

There are much BIGGER things in the works that we can even imagine........

America is too corrupt to be honest to even own things. George Soros have been caught with his own agenda. He cares about nobody. He is just some rich guy living in the West. He is all about the money.

www.theguardian.com...

Agreed.

However, Soros is behind every movement in the US to destroy our sovereignty, as well as other countries like Hungary. It isn't just the US government that is corrupt!

Did you every wonder why when the RICHEST person in the world stats come out the Rothchilds are NEVER mentioned?

How about identity politics which Soros supports? Ever wonder why something as insane as an ideology that would do nothing more than DIVIDE a nation become so popular?

Like I said, there are much bigger things in the works. If we knew? I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue on a global level.......
edit on 8-4-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The 59th minute. The end.

This is amazing commentary on The Day After:

www.youtube.com...

Buckley's comment in the 14th minute is priceless. And Kissinger's response is very Jewish.

edit on 8-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I'm almost 50 years old. When I was in my pre-teen years, I used to listen to talk radio while falling asleep. One night they had a guest on who was speaking about something about nuclear weapons. The host (Larry Glick) asked about what it would be like if it were to take place. The guest said that the living would envy the dead. He went on to give certain details.

This chilled me to the bones and lead to a night of sleeplessness.

There were occasionally other things that would bring these fears back up. I remember a over-hyped made for TV movie called "The Day After" that was about nuclear war. On a day to day basis though, it wouldn't really affect you. I was raised with a hatred toward the Soviet Union. We were taught that it was their main objective to wipe us off the face of the earth.

There was no internet back then and I had no access to alternative media at that young age. So we rarely heard anything really scary until after the fact.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I lived it and remember it well.

For me its not that different than today. The threat is there and you know it can happen, but you also know that you cant really do anything about it. As kids we were taught to hide under our desks as school. As adults we know that wasn't going to save us if we were too close to ground zero. About the only thing it would save you from is blindness from having looked directly at the blast.

We knew it could happen and we hoped we were far enough away from primary targets that we might have a chance. Unfortunately, I grew up in and around Chicago. Its amazing how little the people there now know about all this. In Naperville there is a park called Nike Park. The yuppies who live in the area think it was named after the running shoe. Nope. It used to be a nike missile site. Before the park was built I used to ride a dirt bike out there. The entrances to the bunkers were still visible back then. Every once in a while you would find a steel door that had been yanked open but it only led to a stairwell with another steel door at the bottom that you were not going to open no matter how hard you tried. I know...I tried...lol

After talking to my father I realized that there really weren't many safe places to be. Even then the population had grown well beyond the capabilities of the bomb shelters and emergency services. The weapons were getting stronger and stronger and the idea of surviving a nuclear attack became trivial. When I was young I thought I was indestructible. Today I understand the frailty of life all too well. It would probably be better to be the first to die in a nuclear attack. But there is a part of me that needs to live to protect my family. Set me on extra crispy if you have to, but my family comes first.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

already posted sorry.
edit on 8-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I became aware of the cold war during my childhood in the 1960s; the possibility of nuclear war hung like a black cloud throughout childhood since I was 8 or 9. But I was reassured by my elders that no side would be so foolish as to declare war, as this would mean the end of civilisation.

The difference now is that there seems to be absolutely no diplomacy anymore. The leaders of both superpowers hurling abuse and accusations at each other and no one else paying a blind bit of notice or seeming to give a toss.

I don't know what to make of it.

But ye, the idea that I could be incinerated in any given split second I have lived with most of my life. It's useless worrying about matters you have no control over.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

another movie, well two you might like is On The Beach. the original was made in 1959 staring Gregory Peck , the second was made in 2000 staring Armand Assante. there is also a documentary about them called fallout.
edit on 8-4-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I grew up in the fifties and sixties in Canada and remember the public school drills, the duck and cover under your desk crap lol. By the time I finished my education in the seventies we had been pretty inundated with bs and propaganda. The theme of the day was almost always nuclear war or pinko hippies. In the late seventies and early eighties I started researching propaganda and conspiracy theory/fact, initially through ARPA and then usenet groups, as I was becoming disillusioned with all the propaganda on the boobtube. Eventually, I ended up in south Africa in the eighties working for the military, chief R&D in weapons development and national security infrastructure, so by that time I could really see the bs for what it was as I worked for armscor and the sadf through military contractors and my Co for direct programs was the chief of counterintelligence.

That was a real eye opener, because you found out very quickly through attached government channels that one could purchase anything, including nuclear materials. Hell, you could buy a softball sized nuke in the late eighties for the cost of a BMW 325 :-) Contraband rocket fuel came out of the PRC and so did plutonium from NK centrifuges and it was shuffled through Taiwan and Bangkok. A while earlier, john stockwell was the Cia point man in angola while the US and Russians fought their proxy war, not unlike Syria or the Ukraine right now.

When the Berlin wall fell I was still in africa, it was interesting, but that's all, it was pretty much a public appeasance to convert Russia for the banking industry. Brand Mandela and the capitulation of south Africa, the same again, the IMF and Russia provided the financial/economic means of extortion while US added the faux indignity and pr program. Point is, the US and russia pretended to be enemies, but the banking industry just considers them branches of the same company, they all work together. The intel community are the policemen for the banking industry and they all work together globally, it's one big club.

If war comes, it comes and the person we all hoped would stop these stupid wars and remove the corruption may just be another wolf in sheep's clothing. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Stay cynical, but keep an open mind, nothing is what it seems.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I was a kid and barely remember the fall of the wall.

Most of it was propaganda. Same stories of MAD running around today because nobody ever bothered making up something new.

The wall was for real. You could walk up to it and touch it. You didn't see people crossing from one side to the other (even though they did).

There was an Officer named MAJ Nicholson. He made the Cold War real for me.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I remember most striking thing as a young child was almost constant sonic booms in western upstate New York as alert fighters did practice intercepts, shook whole house quite frequently on way north to intercept Russian Bombers.

We did both under the desk and hall drills in elementary school.

Prague in 68' along with tanks in Fulda gap muzzle to muzzle were on mind as Vietnam was ongoing as well as bushfire wars, civil wars in South America and Africa.

Ships, Submarines and Aircraft playing chicken with each other was worrisome as one never knew what might escalate out of control.

As young adult I never knew, especially if relations of superpowers was at low ebb, B-52 SAC sorties out of Carswell meant time was short or they were just practicing - an impressive sight but nerve-wracking at same time.

When Reagan and Gorbachev failed to reach agreement in Reykjavik I was understandably miffed as both powers were at force levels where rubble bouncing was targeting result.

All we could hope for was reasonable leaders to stand between annihilation of both countries populations, as well as the entire northern hemisphere.

Even time nearing political fall of USSR was of concern as lashing out was entirely plausible.

Those were some interesting decades to live through and give much different outlook than later generations in my opinion.

The U.S. in general squandered stupendous opportunity to lead world in better direction, it's people went for riches and greed while letting political leaders run amuk, nearly, if not, bankrupting the country.

The current situation is not on part with cold war days as of yet but as we decline others are likely danger soon, soon as in decade or so, we continue on path we seem to be on.

Nowadays I fear creeping anti-western influence will lead to downfall of western nations from within as things become more factional and move away from widely shared values.

But I also will have no surprise when one or more cities go up in nuclear firestorm from non-state actors or grid down from emp by hard to identify delivery method.

Live far from cities and beaten path now.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

How was it living fearing the nukes?

Those susceptible to fear will experience it no matter the 'situation'.
There is always something to be afraid of!
I remember watching the fear being propagandized and encouraged, like today.
A frightened population is an easily manipulated population!
'Fear' exists in 'thoughts'.
If you don't think about it, you won't access the fear.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

OMG "The Day After" scared the crap out of me dude. I am so about to watch that right now.

I was confusing that with "Miracle Mile" which was what used to scare me. Now have to watch them both.

No one will care but my mom was an extra in "The Day After", I had totally forgotten that. I am so talking to myself I am sure. God I'm tired.
edit on 4/9/2017 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Lived through the peak years, sixties, seventies, eighties, and now it's, seemingly, rebirth.

I lived on Ground Zero. SAC-bases, that's Strategic Air Command for those too young to remember...damn, I'm gettin' old.

Anyhow, didn't worry about it then, not going to worry about it now.

I've got more important things to worry about. The world could end in a conflagration of sunbright fire and heat...could. Bills have to be paid. A house needs fixin' up so it can be sold. ...and my friends kids and I are going camping next weekend, and I got to buy supplies this week.

Don't have time to worry about it.

I honestly can't tell you about how I felt back then, because I didn't worry about it. I grew up with it. I knew what was on that B52 that took off from those Air Force bases. When my family was stationed in West Germany, we were a short tank drive away from a whole lot of Soviet tanks that wouldn't have needed much excuse to come a-callin'.

Now? I'm an adult, or so I'm told, and it doesn't worry me much. Because frankly, I'm not worried it's going to happen, not nuclear any way.

I trust the govts to operate in their own best interests...and that in no way, shape, or form includes nuclear annihilation. If they want me scared, too late...much too jaded to worry about it much. I'm going to press enter on this post, and nuclear war will drop way down on my list of things to worry about.

Scared? Nope. Worried? Nope, not especially. Going to be either of those things, any time soon? Unlikely.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

How cool your Mum was an extra in that repetitive nightmare inducing film The Day After. For some reason reading that made my day. Have you read the comic book story by Raymond Briggs or Biggs? I can't remember the title ( I will goggle it and edit )., anyways its about a nuclear bomb blast.

It's called When The Wind Blows. Raymond Briggs it is. He also wrote Fungus the Bogeyman another of my childhood favourites.
edit on 9-4-2017 by Cloudbuster because: Added extra info

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join