It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember "The day after"???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
The US is despite its problems still the worlds 800lb guerilla I dont think even a lunatic is going to attack it with nukes.Now a home grown lunatic such as a rogue General in a California exit or such that might be a possibility so Im thinking more the series Jericho than the OP's movie

No US is acting like a 800 pound guerilla but as history shows even some so called cave dwellers can hijack a few planes and bring mayhem to the US. So the reality is this, if Russia wanted to play dirty, they could use the same smoke screen (Islamic terrorist) to explode a dirty bomb in New York with none the wiser. As warned by Cheney when Obama took office here.

With over 325,000 people entering the US by air each day it only takes one with a suitcase nuke to cripple the US.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

originally posted by: khnum
The US is despite its problems still the worlds 800lb guerilla I dont think even a lunatic is going to attack it with nukes.Now a home grown lunatic such as a rogue General in a California exit or such that might be a possibility so Im thinking more the series Jericho than the OP's movie

No US is acting like a 800 pound guerilla but as history shows even some so called cave dwellers can hijack a few planes and bring mayhem to the US. So the reality is this, if Russia wanted to play dirty, they could use the same smoke screen (Islamic terrorist) to explode a dirty bomb in New York with none the wiser. As warned by Cheney when Obama took office here.

With over 325,000 people entering the US by air each day it only takes one with a suitcase nuke to cripple the US.

A single "suitcase nuke" would no more "cripple" the US than hitting a hornets' nest with a broom would cripple the hornets.

And the result of either foolish act would have much the same effect:

A boiling swarm hellbent on blind, vicious revenge attacking everything in sight.
edit on 8-4-2017 by Bhadhidar because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

There are thousands of pages here on what may or may not of happened on 9-11 I have an idea but Im not spruiking that here,what I will say is that your aforementioned cavedwellers in old toyotas have led the US military on a merry dance for 16 years a fight with Russia or China is not by comparison not going to be a walk in the woods.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

If exploded at wall street, it would wipe out the economic heart of the US, crippling the financial sector for years.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

The financial sector would be hamstrung for a few weeks at most.

All vital functions would be shifted to Colorado or California.

The internet would likely be "commandeered" until trading could be normalized at its new physical location.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I was stationed overseas when it came out.

It was interesting to watch.

posted on Apr, 8 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Damn, man...that is a bleak scenario.
I say we send Dennis Rod Man over there with some kind of James Bond assassination gizmo and put an end to it all with no nuclear mess.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011
It was unbearably dull for me. I was amused at the end when the farmers were being told that they need to remove the first 4 inches of top soil from their land. "And how exactly do you recommend we remove 4 inches of top soil from our land?? Some of us have hundreds of acres!?" Something like that. He sure had a point. Knowing and saying what needs to be done, and actually doing it sure are worlds apart.

a reply to: yuppa

30 miles is plenty of distance; I live right outside of CENTCOM! BUT, I can haul tail within 30 minutes and be far enough away. Assuming I get a warning of course...

I look forward to the battle of the mutant survivors!
edit on 4-9-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: khnumthe Russians

But do we really want to have a war with Russia? They have a nice anthem.

Plus they are nice people just like us.

edit on 9-4-2017 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I was in High School, I think...

It didn't make that much of an impression on me. Certainly not enough to emotionally scar me. Bambi did a better job of that, and we won't even discuss Old Yeller.

Maybe I'm emotionally stunted, or something...but it was a meh movie trying harder than most to convey a political statement. I knew it then, and I certainly know it now.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I preferred the old Soviet Anthem...

God no, we don't want a war with Russia. Anyone who does is actually certifiable, IMHO.
edit on 4/9/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If I listened to that another couple of times, I'd be hoisting the red flag.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I know, right?

They actually kept the music and changed the lyrics a tad bit. It's heart stirring song.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Yeah I remember the movie saw it when I was in 3rd grade. It still hold true to this day. If war broke out between the US and Russia we can kiss our ass goodbye. Once the genie is out of the bottle there's no putting it back. All it could take is one stupid move by either side in Syria and half the planet would be dead within an hour.

Putin's a psychopath and Trump is a narcissistic ego maniac. I would hope Trump knows when to back off if # hits the fan but I'm highly doubting it given his lack of experience when it comes to foreign diplomacy. I would rather see us back down and live to fight another day then see Trump start a war because his ego was bruised.

This situation in Syria and North Korea has the potential to spiral out of control if not handled correctly.

I'm reading all these stupid comments online about how we're indestructible and look how we annihilated Iraq. If we go to war with North Korea it won't be pretty. They won't be a push over like Iraq.

We have an entire generation raised on Call of Duty that think war is fun. They'll find out first hand how fun war is when the government reinstates the draft.
edit on 9-4-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Remember this ?

And this one makes me feel patriotic and I'm not even Russian

edit on 9-4-2017 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I remember the original cosmos coming out around the same time and Sagan talked about nuclear war. It was moving. People seemed genuinely concerned about the chance of annihilation then, they don't seem to now. Not sure why.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I remember that. But, being a Brit I always preferred threads. Both really grim to watch.

If you want a book in the same vein try Brother in the Land.
Sold as teen fiction but my god does it mess your head up.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

If exploded at wall street, it would wipe out the economic heart of the US, crippling the financial sector for years.

Yet something so easy to exploit in order to wipe out the economic heart of the US has never taken place.

It's okay I bet you are one of those people that also thinks a successful invasion of the Mainland US is also possible tactically, logistically or even logically.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

i dont know, its not as if Your gonna nail Putin with a nuke....... Russia is by far the biggest country in the world, plenty of places for him to hide, underground plotting where to hit next, i dont think any of this will happen however, i think they keep this charade going to keep their own people in order, create the fear to control the masses, and such like things, its all propaganda designed to instill fear, age old politically Machiavellian techniques.

posted on Apr, 9 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Got news for everyone who saw "The Day After". It was child's play.

Want to see something a bit more suitable for the adult table? Watch the BBC version called "Threads".

Compare. Contrast. And then have a wonderful evening.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join