It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Currently showing in the UK on Yesterday (Freeview 19).

Really loved this show when it was first broadcast in the early 80s and subsequent repeats.

But if there was ever a case for axing a show lest it overstay its welcome then this is it.

To me, it's Series 1. That is Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

13 episodes. Adequately relates the simple story line of a group of British labourers living and working together in Germany till their 6 month contract was up before heading back home to blighty. It ends with a shot of the guys on the ferry to Dover.

And, as wonderful as the show was, as compelling as the characters were, there's really nothing more to add. It's complete - it has a beginning, a middle, and an end. As a young man myself when Series 1 aired, I can well relate to the situation the guys were in...terrible intractable unemployment at home, the lure of earning some decent money for a short contract in Europe. It made sense.

It was originally meant to be a drama with tragicomic elements. Yes, very funny in parts, but always that air of desperation running through it, because the guys really didn't want to be there. They made the best of their circumstances but really they wanted to be back home with their kith and kin.

But when ITV realised they had a ratings winner, the pressure was on to spin it out to another series. Bad mistake IMO. All subsequent series - 4 in all - were a pale relic of Series 1.

If you like AWP and want to know how it came about and evolved, this video is compulsive viewing.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Great cast , great writing and great show , Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was must watch TV , shame we can't make em like that anymore.

Oz was the Dude.

Thanks for the heads up , may check it out for a stroll down memory lane.
Why aye man.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why-aye man!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Adequately relates the simple story line of a group of British labourers living and working together in Germany till their 6 month contract was up before heading back home to blighty. It ends with a shot of the guys on the ferry to Dover.

Did they get paid in Euros or Pounds?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I thought the later series played out well.
Seeing the Lads after Germany, still grafting, we got to see how the Characters developed.
I especially thought the references to Pat Roach toward the end were wonderful. Only the second cast member to be lost throughout.

R.I.P. Pat and Gary.

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They were working in Germany so Deutschmark.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

They were working in Germany so Deutschmark.

German current currency is the Euro.
But my bad, this is an older program?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally broadcast in the 80s so the Euro was still just a twinkle in Europ's eye.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

The later series are always worth a gander. But, but...

They suffered from lack of authenticity, inevitably. As it mentions in the video, you had to contrive a reason for this disparate group of characters to reunite. It just wouldn't happen. And they tried to turn it into a sitcom which wasn't the original intention.

It was a thing of its time...Thatcher's Britain, high unemployment, dark times.

The later series forgot that and it just descended into farce for me.

But, like I say, worth a look. If only to see the Moxey character improve his scouse accent.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Originally broadcast in the 80s so the Euro was still just a twinkle in Europ's eye.

Got it, thanks. And why is the UK still on the Pound? Are they special...

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Moxy (Christopher Fairbank) had a small part in the original Batman reboot.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join