It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Brexit joke

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The main issue voted uppon from british to go ahead for the Brexit was the problem of free movement of undesirable people between europe and the UK.

Now this:

May suggests free movement could continue during Brexit implementation - BBC

uk.mobile.reuters.com...

Seems like our Friends from Uk are only getting a worse and worse deal.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize

She's open to a transitional period is all the story says.
That sounds a sensible political consideration to me.
Don't panic

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Until 2022 yeah. Then they will adjust.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I imagine all kinds of issues will be coming upover the next couple of years. Much horse trading and saving of face to come in these negotiations.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You avatar gif rocks!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Brexit was about more than the free movement of people , it was about self determination and regaining our democracy from rules and diktats handed down from unellected officials.

Theresa May is playing her cards close to her chest which given who she's dealing with is a smart move.

edit on 6-4-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Brexit was about more than the free movement of people , it was about self determination and regaining our democracy from rules and diktats handed down from unellected officials.

Theresa May is playing her cards close to her chest which given who she's dealing with is a smart move.

Couldn't agree more
I'm quietly confident the PM well do better than most think, yes there will be concessions we have to make no doubt about it... but the EU does not hold all the cards in negotiations not by a long shot.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: nickovthenorth

Yep, and the playing hardball of WTO rules in preference of a crap deal was a good move on her part I reckon.
Difficult for an opponent to negotiate threats if you embrace them as a situation you are willing to face.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It certainly knocks some of the wind out of their sails at least, both the UK and the EU stand to loose out on certain things its just in my opinion i believe the UK stands to gain as well... where as the EU will gain nothing at all from the UK leaving and this is why the EU will do their upmost to make it a bumpy ride.

edit on 6-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: nickovthenorth

Agreed, it will have some cost but independence has never been stocked at Poundland...more Waitrose or M and S prices.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
According to the polish rep at the european parliament , there are about half a million poles here in the UK at the moment ,and a total of about three and a half million EU citizens living here . I suspect a few more than that somehow .

It's one of the hardest problems to solve ,which the EU has imposed . That all those people are going to have to unmigrate themselves , at least , back to Europe . They can pick another country or go home . Unless we just give them all citizenship here , which could be quite unfair (dual nationalities?) and the idea of that could create a stampede to get here . Indefinite leave to remain , sounds fair , and on benefits or not , we're egalitarians . But no more uncontrolled immigration to Britain , please .

At least , we haven't got to create a new currency again . The best overall option might be to lever away the over-influencings of the EPP . That would entail radical constitutional reforms , a new europe , effectively .
Since the EPP claim to be "the family of the centre-right , which pioneered the european project from its inception" , in their own words , I can't imagine that is going to be easy .

Being separate from the EPP is first and foremost -the sovereinties they have taken away are indeed the number one priority , even 20 million european residents are worth taking to get rid of EPP's Europe from Britain and every other country .
edit on 6-4-2017 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It may be that the UK will take the "free movement of labour" seriously, that is to say people moving to a job, rather than people moving in the hope they'll get a job or welfare. Arguably that's the outcome people are chasing.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I'd fly with that, and ultimate responsibility for who stays here being the UK government.
If we need a # load of fruit pickers or labourers etc cool, I don't think many people are advocating no immigration.
That would be silly.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Whatever way it goes down, we in the UK will lose out, and in the interim pay more in higher prices, diesel scams, Taxes through our own budgets, huge incentives to keep industry, and lost industry where big incentives would be no use. No money for badly needed new infrastructure, and badly needed repairs. Departments who have no money to fund basic maintenance for their fleets. But I'll bet ya the hypocrite MP's will be looking for a pay rise soon.
It's already started as the last budget kicks in, yesterday one packet of cigarettes was 69p cheaper than today...there goes my pension rise.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Lol you don't know that, just opinion same as everyone else.
You could be right of course, but don't assert opinions as fact using terms like 'will lose out'.
You don't know the future, as I also do not.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golantrevize
The main issue voted uppon from british to go ahead for the Brexit was the problem of free movement of undesirable people between europe and the UK.

Now this:

May suggests free movement could continue during Brexit implementation - BBC

uk.mobile.reuters.com...

Seems like our Friends from Uk are only getting a worse and worse deal.

I see ignorance is flowing freely again with the subject of brexit.

All EU articles state quite clearly : free movement of WORKERS.

If the UK accepts non workers from the EU and then the daily mail rants on, then this is a reflection of the stupidity of the UK government or civil servants not understanding EU law and the narrow minded ignorance of the Daily Mail and the readers who believe their BS.

If EU workers are "undesirable" then presumably so are all workers on the planet which is a rather pathetic point of view.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Yes quite.
Absolute control over immigration management is different post Brexit though.
Control over required skills is an obvious one, and of course we need unskilled people to fill the gap of lazy Brits, but post Brexit the control of skills will be UK responsibility.
That is different.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol you don't know that, just opinion same as everyone else.
You could be right of course, but don't assert opinions as fact using terms like 'will lose out'.
You don't know the future, as I also do not.

We've already lost out in the value of sterling against most every major currency..do you want to put a figure on it?
Most American banks have their european staff working in London, how long do you think the Americans will wait until they make a shift to mainland europe? want to put a time on it.
Cheaper goods going out of Britain will be okay for a while, but then when the dearer incoming raw materials start coming in things will not be so much of a bargain anymore...you don't need to put a timer on that, it will be a short time.
Property prices will stay depressed, probably more so in London...and those prices haven't even recovered from the 2008 banks bust yet. (don't believe the rabid Daily Express headlines of a 25% rise btw..in fact don't even buy that ridiculous rag)

A big tech takeover deal lost 30% of 24.3 £bliion because of the referendum just like that, and the Japanese company that took over got a windfall..There will be more asset stripping of the UK too, with the likes of Japan, China, America and the big names in Europe all looking for a cheapie takeover.
Unemployment growth is harder to figure, when redundancies come around, it's usually at the last moment where employers don't llike to lose good people along with those not so good, but that's what often happens.
And somehow I don't think that the hospitals will get that £350million a week extra.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I'll leave you to it fella while you use terms like 'will' etc, just more of your personal opinions expressed as fact.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Yep, and the playing hardball of WTO rules in preference of a crap deal was a good move on her part I reckon.
Difficult for an opponent to negotiate threats if you embrace them as a situation you are willing to face.

She has the perfect 'poker face' to pull it off and if allowed to keep her cards close

she can pull it off! as long as she doesn't listen to the old bremoaners (Ken Clarke,

Mandelson Nick Clegg, Lily Allen, (lol!!) and the rest)

In negotiations it is always prudent to go in higher than you hope to get then when

you roll over at what they want ..... you will be exactly where you wanted to be

deal done.

Only she cant do that while Jeremy Corbyn et all wants to know her every move

before she does.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join