It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom finds police drone spying on her children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It is a federal crime to shoot down aircraft, and this week, the FAA confirmed that that includes drones.

Link to digitial trends

OK I did some more digging and found the actual law.
justice.gov

2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C. 32)

Amendments to 18 U.S.C. § 32 enacted in 1984 expand United States jurisdiction over aircraft sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce. This statute now also makes it a Federal offense to commit an act of violence against any person on the aircraft, not simply crew members, if the act is likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft. In addition, the United States is authorized under the statute to prosecute any person who destroys a foreign civil aircraft outside of the United States if the offender is later found in the United States or, effective as of April 24, 1996, a national of the United States was aboard such aircraft (or would have been aboard if such aircraft had taken off) or a national of the United States was a perpetrator of the offense. See USAM 9-63.221, et seq.

edit on 4/5/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Antipathy17

Again. There is no privacy in public.

Perfectly legal.

Unless you have airspace rights to your property.

Anyone can come along on a ladder, multi story building or drone and look at you.

I think the issue is with the drone being "over" the homeowners property and under 500 feet. Air rights are generally considered to exist to 500 feet over the owners property with some exceptions.

The FAA is currently looking at the definition of air rights because they assume they have the right to regulate, it is only a matter of time before Amazon and a dozen other companies have a law they want on the books giving them access to all property to ground level....how else will they deliver your neighbors 6-pack at 3:00 a.m.

Its not illegal to fly over someones property as long as the droan is registered with the faa. Its restrictions are cant go over 400 ft and dont fly near airports or populated gatherings such as stadiums. Cant watch the game for free lol.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

It's actually easy to build a drone that will carry a net which can be used to foul the other drone's rotors. I wonder what the law is if said drone crashes on your property? Does it become your property then? Drones might be fun toys but it doesn't take much imagination to think of a thousand ways they can be used to spy, harass or even kill you. Dark skies, dark future.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Thanks for the info, I think I will research what electronic countermeasures might be available....it would be awesome to have the ability to disable a drone with the correct frequency.....strictly in theory of course.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I suddenly feel the need to build myself a drone grabbing drone.

It'd have to be big enough to support the weight of another drone, and have the ability to snatch it out of mid air- maybe drop down ontop of it with a net.
That would foul up the rotors and take it out of the sky, at least- then if the net was on a line you could carry it away- maybe even remote disconnect the line and abandon the captured drone.

These things are getting cheaper every year.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

that's why you call the police department to report that you just shot down someone's illegal drone spying on you. Oh, and if need be call the press as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I suddenly feel the need to build myself a drone grabbing drone.

It'd have to be big enough to support the weight of another drone, and have the ability to snatch it out of mid air- maybe drop down ontop of it with a net.
That would foul up the rotors and take it out of the sky, at least- then if the net was on a line you could carry it away- maybe even remote disconnect the line and abandon the captured drone.

These things are getting cheaper every year.

shotgun works just fine and dont have to launch a drone. The other method set up a CB with a large antenna and youll jam the signal much like when you get close to an 18 wheeler and they are heard over your radio. .

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The drone, or any, may have very well been able to see inside the home if the windows shades were open/not covered.

What was the test for anyway? To see if anyone noticed, to see if they can pretend to be filming one thing while looking for ___insert other thing__?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That last one was not only over her property....but then went and looked into her windows.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

You'd get charged with illegal discharge of a firearm.... and destroying government property. If you're outside... Even GOOGLE EARTH can spot you... or a news, police, weather chopper.... Outside, within your yard or similar site... we really have no expectation of privacy... especially from above... Such are equally invasive (legally) spy satellites....

PS You have no legal right to shoot anyone or thing hanging on/over your fence... They' have to be IN your yard.... you just can't shoot an airplane because it's flying over you...

You'd be going to jail... and court.. Maybe even prison

edit on 6-4-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

It'd be hard to find 12 people in West Texas that would convict me for shooting a drone spying on me while on my property. Maybe i'd go to court....i'd bet i'll also leave court and go home.

Civil disobedience....a valued American tradition.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
The other method set up a CB with a large antenna and youll jam the signal much like when you get close to an 18 wheeler and they are heard over your radio. .

That wouldn't work. CB radio is on 27 MHz and the control uplink to drones is normally on 2.4 GHz,there's no way they could ever interfere with each other.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

As far as shooting something on my own property, I have every right (at least where I live). And unless they can prove that I should know that it is government property (i.e. it is clearly marked as a police apparatus), then they can't charge for that either.

What it boils down to is that it is new technology that they are trying to make old laws fit, when they need to be making new laws to match. But so far all the laws being made lean more against the owners of the drones in favor of personal liberties.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
See my post at the top of this page. It might save you a small fortune in legal fees.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
FFS - not this crap again

if you can be seen from outside the perimeter of your property - you have no " right " to privacy " end off .

i have to wonder how people this paranoid manage to go out in public with " everyone watching them "
Really? Then how do you explain Chicago where is illegal to record an on-duty police officer? If they have a reasonable expectation of privacy, then why don't we??

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

The only reason I tend to try doing "non lethal" things to anything is that there is the off chance that your gadget created to jam drone commo, if one were to create one or buy one, could very well be construed to be an unlawful device like a cell-phone jammer or scanner, considering it would be doing pretty much that anyway.

Also, the discharge of firearms tends to make people pretty nervous and call the "authorities, and it is usually illegal to discharge firearms in developed areas or townships anyway, plus, if you were to capture a device operated by the authorities, it would be a lesser blow if you didn't have to pay for damages on top of the petty crime you committed by being ignorant enough not to consider the thing you were destroying belonged to someone else to begin with.

There are a whole slew of laws written for no other reason than to make up for pretty much everybody's nearly complete lack of common sense everywhere from spending too much time discussing meaningless stuff like we are doing here and coming away thinking they know anything...

And just because something landed on your property does not automatically make it your property like so many seem to think. If they had a memory longer than a goldfish, they would remember many examples of this not being the case...But...

Can you tell I'm getting about fed up with the internet and my fellow man?.

...Yes, I am...

edit on ? by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Of course...Id agree sir. Though its an amazing amount of people who think you can just shoot anything anywhere under any circumstance...when in many places...thats not the case.

But, Im with you. On my property, inside the fence/property line, inside my home or car...Im with you. And my 45's with me out back at night with the dog. Every-night...and every moment of everyday, everywhere.

Thank you BFFT!

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Respectfully...thats not completely true. You can still be charged shooting someone on your property....happens everyday. (within reason though, I would too).

Yes, I understand Texas and other states application of self defense...quite different shooting someone ON or over your fence.

I was just addressing "shooting something outta the sky" from inside one's property to the outside....

Thanks for the reply! Best

MS/CPL Holder

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

For the fence no. Because you are outdoors and let's say someone lived next door in a two story building or multistory building or high rise building several blocks away. They can just look down and see everything. Also anyone walking by can hear anything you say. So while it's a bit of privacy. It's not completely private.

From what I've read. If you've taken proper precautions to not be seen. Then you should have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

But if anyone else can see you. It's fair game.

Now if the cops use flir or some other penetrating sort of equipment to look inside your place. Then you have a 4th amendment privacy case.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join