It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Says, Let the Mentally Ill Buy Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This change in the law isn't quite that far-reaching. It only addresses concerns that government agencies can use their authority to restrict an individual's 2A rights without due process. Those adjudicated as mentally ill by the courts would still be prohibited from purchasing or owning a firearm.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Good, repeal the hell out of this. The only time a gun sale should be denied is if the applicant is barely even coherent or competent enough to fill out paperwork, or if the NICS check comes back DNS from a record of violent crime only!

I mean for # sake, do we make the entire generation of ADHD kids who was legally drugged by evil pharmaceutical corps. and their pill pushing whore doctors suddenly ineligible for their rights to personal defense? That is the goal after all of giving every human in America a psychological diagnosis for typical and natural human behavior. To sedate, create addicted cash cows, and remove whole generations not only from the right to defend themselves, but the desire to even confront tyranny!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

originally posted by: Idreamofme
a reply to: darkbake

Who isnt mentally ill? Everyone seems to be in one form or another

I don't know what the law says. I'll have to look it up. I'm sure it means diagnosed with whatever mental illnesses are covered, though.

Id think cognitive issues.. or profound processing issues would apply. Mental illness DX though... labels are slapped so willy nilly by some drs. SOmeone mentioned alzheimers.. definitely. Later stages anyway. Here recently I had read a terribly sad story about a man who thought his wife was an intruder whilst she got out of bed in the middle of the night and beat her to death with a lamp.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

“We hear about the link between violence and mental illness in the news, and we wanted to look not only at the notion that the mentally ill are a danger to others, but the possibility that they are also in danger,”

Dr. Sarah Desmarais, an assistant professor of psychology at NC State

news.ncsu.edu...

I am currently on disability for PTSD from my middle east time. I have been told I couldn't own firearms by "well meaning" social workers who gave themselves powers only a judge can decide on. Cleared that up pretty quick though, the experience made me pro-gun were before I hadn't given it much thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

originally posted by: Advantage

There is a major conception that people with mental illness are dangerous. Most schizophrenics are not dangerous. 1% of the population has schizophrenia. A very small minority of that 1% might be dangerous. If someones dangerous and going to hurt someone their going to do it whether they have a gun or not. There are body's piling up from murders here in Detroit and it's not because of the mentally ill. Come wander around my neighborhood the indigenous people of Detroit will kill you before any schizophrenic will.

By far, statistically, schizophrenics are victims of crime rather than the perpetrators of violent crimes.
You're right here's a study.

schizophrenia.com...

Im always right, honey... ask my husband!

Seriously though, these kinds of things are why a lot of vets are afraid to seek help for a variety of mental/emotional issues. Labels, stigma, things getting back to the C.O...
Yeah I've been discriminated against a few times because of my illness. There is a lot of stigma attached to schizophrenia. I had one of my employers literally freak when he found out I had schizophrenia. I was fired because he thought I was a liability. I was employed for 3 years with no problems but once he found out I was fired within a week. I let it slip to a co worker that I had it.

Im so sorry thats happened to you! Its a HUGE misunderstanding about Schizophrenia.. mainly from movies IMO. People dont know that so many folks diagnosed with schizophrenia are totally functioning NORMAL folks with families, responsibilities, and lives/loves. Management of the illness is critical.. and these days there are so many ways to really manage it.
Hang in there, my friend!! Dont let the willful ignorance of a few dissuade you from a life of success.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I hunt in the woods where bear and wolves roam, therefore - I live and hunt in a dangerous neighborhood.

But hey, I've seen some pigeons that just didn't look right, so, maybe his fears are warranted.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

I hunt in the woods where bear and wolves roam, therefore - I live and hunt in a dangerous neighborhood.

But hey, I've seen some pigeons that just didn't look right, so, maybe his fears are warranted.

Wolves and bears have the sense to stay away from man... be wary of him. Those damned pigeons are mercenary!! No fear of man. Peck your eyes right out. Carry small children and pets off. Steal your bagel right out of our hand!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

There is a major conception that people with mental illness are dangerous. Most schizophrenics are not dangerous. 1% of the population has schizophrenia. A very small minority of that 1% might be dangerous. If someones dangerous and going to hurt someone their going to do it whether they have a gun or not. There are body's piling up from murders here in Detroit and it's not because of the mentally ill. Come wander around my neighborhood the indigenous people of Detroit will kill you before any schizophrenic will.

By far, statistically, schizophrenics are victims of crime rather than the perpetrators of violent crimes.

schizophrenia.com...

Seriously though, these kinds of things are why a lot of vets are afraid to seek help for a variety of mental/emotional issues. Labels, stigma, things getting back to the C.O...
Yeah I've been discriminated against a few times because of my illness. There is a lot of stigma attached to schizophrenia. I had one of my employers literally freak when he found out I had schizophrenia. I was fired because he thought I was a liability. I was employed for 3 years with no problems but once he found out I was fired within a week. I let it slip to a co worker that I had it.

Im so sorry thats happened to you! Its a HUGE misunderstanding about Schizophrenia.. mainly from movies IMO. People dont know that so many folks diagnosed with schizophrenia are totally functioning NORMAL folks with families, responsibilities, and lives/loves. Management of the illness is critical.. and these days there are so many ways to really manage it.
Hang in there, my friend!! Dont let the willful ignorance of a few dissuade you from a life of success.
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I've become really adapt at hiding my illness. People fear what they don't understand. They only know what they see in the news. They hear one guy with schizophrenia did something then they think all schizophrenics are like that.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

Wolves and bears have the sense to stay away from man... be wary of him. Those damned pigeons are mercenary!! No fear of man. Peck your eyes right out. Carry small children and pets off. Steal your bagel right out of our hand!

Don't forget about geese.
I think Geese believe all things not geese must die.
Geese don't even like puppies.
Or ducks.

And geese poop all over wherever they are and then leave as soon as their poop piles up to the point that even they can't take their own poop anymore.

Geese are evil dookie machines.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I actually don't like the idea of keeping mentally ill people from owning firearms. What about veterans who have PTSD? Or autistic people with guns as a special interest? Or depressed people, which is a high percent of the population?

My dad was shot in a mass shooting at a military base and almost killed by a recently discharged man who was mentally ill.

Anyway, this kind of legislation could stop that kind of thing (at least some of it) but it would have to be highly specialized legislation to avoid taking firearms away from citizens who are safe.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I was kind of worried about Obama signing that law. I have epilepsy, and am on Social Security. Since they set up my account so my wife actually gets the check, I was automatically targeted by that law and would have to find doctors to certify that I am not a threat. Yeah, finding a doctor to certify you will never shoot anyone would be impossible.

So I am glad he backed off the law. The only thing I am a threat to is a rowdy raccoon or a criminal breaking into our house.

A lot of senior citizens would get their guns taken away with Obama's law. Remember, if their check is sent to their kid to take care of dispersal, that automatically makes it so they cannot own a gun, that means they are not considered competent to take care of their own money. So if you are never home and are bouncing all over the country so you have your kid take care of the money, you can't own a gun unless you prove you are competent. That is what I saw when I read the law as published.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

No, that is NOT what Congress stated. What was stated was that someone can't lose their rights based on the word of some bureaucrat.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Okay I found a link that explains the law. It applies to people who are receiving disability and have a payee. Read the article, it explains how the law is too broad and not based on empirical research.

Washington Post

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm in a similar situation, the law applies to me as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

I'm in a similar situation, the law applies to me as well.

There are a lot of older guys who have their kids handle their money and pay the bills and the money goes right to their son or daughter. These people would not be able to have a gun. I have guns, and although I do not hunt much anymore, I want to leave them to my kids and grandkids. Most are my fathers and uncles guns, and I got a few from my stepfather too. They have personal value. When reading the law, I noticed the guns get confiscated by law enforcement, you don't have a choice to give them away. You have to turn them in or they come get them. That is the part that really bothered me, the cops are supposed to destroy the guns. I am not sure that is correct, but I do know that the police here have to get rid of confiscated guns. The law did not address the complete issue but I assume it would be how it is.

I was about to go to the local police department where I know the cops and ask about this but then Trump said he was going to repeal the law so I didn't. Any cops here that know about this? I am sure they were discussing this at work.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

schizophrenia.com...

If you do not agree with the direxction that most of society is going in or if you do not trust your government or the medical industry, then technically you have schizophrenia. Hmmm. maybe I am a little nuts after all. If you belong to a conspiracy site, technically you are skitzo too. I feel at home here.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I don't think it should be legal for anyone with schizophrenia to own a firearm. If you have hallucinations and a gun to "protect yourself", might not there be a chance that you would act to protect yourself form an hallucination?

That's ableist.

Ableism /ˈeɪblɪzəm/ (also known as ablism, disablism, disability discrimination, and handicapism) is discrimination and social prejudice against people with disabilities. Ableism characterizes persons as defined by their disabilities and as inferior to the non-disabled.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

schizophrenia.com...

If you do not agree with the direxction that most of society is going in or if you do not trust your government or the medical industry, then technically you have schizophrenia. Hmmm. maybe I am a little nuts after all. If you belong to a conspiracy site, technically you are skitzo too. I feel at home here.

HAH! Welcome, brother!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

My grandpa bought me my first gun for my 15th or 16th birthday. I dont remember which. Point being, there are alot of laws in place that arent really enforcable. Everyone passes their guns off to the kiddos or grandkids. No way of stopping it. So i wouldnt sweat it too much

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The way I understood it, it only included disability recipients that needed someone else to handle their finances. I assumed that the rationale behind it was that if a person was unable to handle money, they shouldn't be handling firearms.

The key words here are "Due Process". Before a personal freedom is taken away, at least have some kind of hearing, where at least both sides can present a case.

Our "Founding Fathers" were a group of pretty smart guys. They went to great lengths making sure that the absolute most important issue to found this new country on was freedom. REAL freedom, not the watered down illusion that exists today. That being the case, whenever a conflict comes up, you must always err on the side of freedom. Otherwise over a period of time, you lose that freedom, one increment at a time, which is exactly what has happened in the last few decades.

Also, if a person is considered too mentally incompetent to handle a firearm, should they be allowed to drive or own a car? After all, both could very easily be used as a deadly weapon, right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join