It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Says, Let the Mentally Ill Buy Guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There is a major conception that people with mental illness are dangerous. Most schizophrenics are not dangerous. 1% of the population has schizophrenia. A very small minority of that 1% might be dangerous. If someones dangerous and going to hurt someone their going to do it whether they have a gun or not. There are body's piling up from murders here in Detroit and it's not because of the mentally ill. Come wander around my neighborhood the indigenous people of Detroit will kill you before any schizophrenic will.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Advantage

My only problem is there are some people who believe everyone regardless of their condition should own a gun.

diagnosis should mean if the person is a danger to society not just because they are mentally ill.

Please read my original post again... its saying exactly that.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
There is a major conception that people with mental illness are dangerous. Most schizophrenics are not dangerous. 1% of the population has schizophrenia. A very small minority of that 1% might be dangerous. If someones dangerous and going to hurt someone their going to do it whether they have a gun or not. There are body's piling up from murders here in Detroit and it's not because of the mentally ill. Come wander around my neighborhood the indigenous people of Detroit will kill you before any schizophrenic will.

By far, statistically, schizophrenics are victims of crime rather than the perpetrators of violent crimes.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

The O.P. Is for Trumps decision not against it. Both the O.P. And Donald Trump want to allow mentally ill people to own firearms.

The OP made a case using himself as an example (he apparently has training with firearm safety and has been around guns his whole life etc.) that it is unfair to keep guns from the mentally ill.

I don't know what illnesses Obamas law covers but I know I have PTSD so it could affect me, too. I also have much training in firearms including two semesters of shotgun training at college and a youth in Boy Scouts. So I can relate to the OP.

Also I don't own a firearm.
edit on 04pmTue, 04 Apr 2017 21:25:50 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Cant say for certain, but common sense would say to me: if someone walked into a gunshop and you could clearly tell they had a problem (cant form sentences, drooling all over themselves, clear signs of alzheimers, down syndrome, etc) , then more likely than not the gunshop owner would refuse them service. I just dont see the gun sellers giving guns to every single person who walks in. Im sure they use a little bit of logic if they thought someone wasnt able to safely handle a gun.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

My apologies then I mean I had an argument one time where a member believed everyone regardless of their condition believed everyone owns a gun and I thought you might be that person.

Its a flashback that came to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This law should be repeal. This law can take away 2nd Admendment Rights from a person for no other reason other than that they need help to manage their financial matters. This law gives Social Security Administation the power to take away a persons' Consitutional Rights without a trial or recourse. Even the ACLU and the American Association of People with Disabilities support it's repeal.

link   

originally posted by: Advantage

By far, statistically, schizophrenics are victims of crime rather than the perpetrators of violent crimes.
You're right here's a study.

schizophrenia.com...

link   
a reply to: wantsome

Tell me about it. I lived in st.louis for a few years.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Idreamofme

As a psychology graduate, I can tell you that mentally ill people are not going to be drooling etc. many of them will appear normal. Certainly a gun shop owner with no training in psychology would not be able to make that distintion. And if a gun shop owner did "diagnose" someone as mentally ill this would not be a valid diagnosis.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Um isn't it dangerous for alcoholics to own firearms?

You'd be surprised how many professional, well paid respectable members of society have a loaded gun in the bedroom... And happen to be alcoholics.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

My apologies then I mean I had an argument one time where a member believed everyone regardless of their condition believed everyone owns a gun and I thought you might be that person.

Its a flashback that came to me.

No, definitely wasnt me! No apologies needed, just clarifying things
Im on the same page I think. It is a thing that would have to be investigated and carefully applied if put into law.. and we all know how certain folks exploit laws. This is one thing Im hoping doesnt go through. It needs to be done on a case by case basis. Some folks definitely do NOT need firearms. Hell, some perfectly sane folks dont need them! LOL!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Who isnt mentally ill? Everyone seems to be in one form or another

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

schizophrenia.com...

Im always right, honey... ask my husband!

Seriously though, these kinds of things are why a lot of vets are afraid to seek help for a variety of mental/emotional issues. Labels, stigma, things getting back to the C.O...

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Should there be a 3 strikes their out type of law? Where after a certain amount of incidents involving firearms then their right to own a gun should be revoked?

I mean multiple incidents involving a gun clearly shows the person is not responsible enough to own a firearm.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

Who isnt mentally ill? Everyone seems to be in one form or another

I don't know what the law says. I'll have to look it up. I'm sure it means diagnosed with whatever mental illnesses are covered, though.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

So after 3 murders / robberies or whatever their gun rights are revoked?

Well it is thinking outside the box.
edit on 04pmTue, 04 Apr 2017 21:29:07 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
"Your Honor, Officer Smith said at the scene and testified here in court that he smelled alcohol. A search of my vehicle and my subsequent blood test revealed no alcohol. It is clear that Officer Smith, if he is telling the truth, suffers from olfactory hallucinations and is too mentally unstable to carry a firearm."

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

schizophrenia.com...

Im always right, honey... ask my husband!

Seriously though, these kinds of things are why a lot of vets are afraid to seek help for a variety of mental/emotional issues. Labels, stigma, things getting back to the C.O...
Yeah I've been discriminated against a few times because of my illness. There is a lot of stigma attached to schizophrenia. I had one of my employers literally freak when he found out I had schizophrenia. I was fired because he thought I was a liability. I was employed for 3 years with no problems but once he found out I was fired within a week. I let it slip to a co worker that I had it.
edit on 4-4-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Well my point is there should be a certain limit.

Of course in the cases of murders/robbery, the owners' right to own a gun should be revoked immediately.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join