It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Easiest DIY electric train.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
All you need to make your own battery train is some coiled copper wire, a double a battery and the appropriately sized neodymium magnets.

I would love like to try this out myself and if you got kids who need to do something for a science fair it seems like it could be an interesting project.

Take a look for yourself.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Lol haha.. I remember doing almost exactly what's in the vid,, around mid 90's with my dad for fun, good memories :-)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

What type of magnets did you use?

I'm curious if this can be done without neodymium magnets.

Would it work with lower strength magnets?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't have a clue on what magnets he used (was a kid at the time),, i'll definitely ask him the next time i see him or phone him, my dad used to be an architect at a naval submarine yard and used to bring home many cool/weird objects then show me sience things... Wasn't always interested at the time.

Now you got me super curious.
edit on 4 4 2017 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4 4 2017 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Standard magnets will not work or will probably not work for this as they are not conductive enough and they are probably not strong enough to suspend the battery in the coil.

The folks at K&J Magnetis have a lot of fun experiments on their site and I did the train one with my 7yr old who enjoyed it a lot. Here is the K&J Magnetis site There is a lot of information in here. I have purchased many magnets from them over the years as I have built a lot of generators and experiments.
Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

Standard magnets will not work or will probably not work for this as they are not conductive enough and they are probably not strong enough to suspend the battery in the coil.

The folks at K&J Magnetis have a lot of fun experiments on their site and I did the train one with my 7yr old who enjoyed it a lot. Here is the K&J Magnetis site There is a lot of information in here. I have purchased many magnets from them over the years as I have built a lot of generators and experiments.
Enjoy!

Cool thanks for the link, still going to ask my dad next time as to what's magnets & battery's​ he used.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Its the magnetic field strength that produces the levitation effect, neodymium magnets fit the bill there.

So lower strength magnets may not achieve the same results i imagine.
edit on 4-4-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Put it in a torus and see if it becomes an over unity generator

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah I guess I'm gonna have to not be a cheapo and buy some neo magnets besides they have been on my wishlist for a while for other uses.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Cant see how when the AA battery will inevitably run out of charge.

Might be wrong all the same but if it was that easy i imagine someone would have achieved it by now.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

It looks cool eh?

Mind and keep the magnets away from anything susceptible to magnetic fields and especially children.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

A rechargeable encased in soft iron should be able to leech more than enough juice as electricity is generated off the coil ends... one would just have to do some winding properly ... but it basically is a automatic Faraday coil generator.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I have seen the barbell shaped big ones and what they can do to a fake hand standing in for a real hand.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Cant see how when the AA battery will inevitably run out of charge.

Might be wrong all the same but if it was that easy i imagine someone would have achieved it by now.
Yeah I had the same thought the battery gonna lose charge and energy. I highly doubt anyone is gonna get a perpetual motion machine out of this.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

No one said it was a perpetual motion machine just a potential generator that can likely charge itself and produce excess.

I have a faraday flashlight it's just a capacitor a copper coiled wire soft iron shake it up about 10 times it charges the capacitor and it lights a 1.5V bulb for about 5 minutes. This thing would generate way more than that easily... being an AA is only 1.5V itself.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Well it would indeed be interesting to try out but i imagine even a rechargeable batteries would eventually wear out down to the materials or some other law of thermodynamics will prevent it achieving overunity.

But you seem to know more about it than i do, have a go, if it works you just bought your self a ticket into the annals of history.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I like how you are just a no sort of person... my engineering background says yes and easy to build at that. It is a neat little device that stands on it's own but why leave it as a toy?

Ugggh no I dont want any of that at all... thats why I am suggesting others do it
edit on 4-4-2017 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Where over unity devices are concerned im afraid i am indeed a kind of a glass half empty type of person.

And my HND in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, including the teachers and professors i studied under tend to think the same i'm afraid.

I'm sure there are plenty of greater minds than my own(It wold not be hard LoL) that will be along rather soon to explain the shortcomings of this functioning as an over unity engine.

But don't let my ambivalence regarding the matter sway your opinions, after all it only takes one person to get it right for it to work.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Could you define overunity?
I apologise if I'm a bit skeptical but where is the extra energy coming from to keep the device going?
Could you build a working concept and make a video?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

You're gonna make me tinker with formulas and build one aren't yah? I'm retired and doing an Toyota RV build kinda have my hands full with that. It however thus far is a billion times better than that ugly stock on the inside... Not a whole lot left to do, I have been adding interior goodies/creature comforts along the way... like old hand cranked coffee grinder, antique spice rack above the stove bakers rack enameled cook ware from Luxembourg I think. You know how personal customization can get really eclectic in eccentric ways. Like taking the internal plastic AC cover off the ceiling that rattled worse than a snake and tossing that hideous piece of nonsense then making one out of wood a bit of filler so it looks like one solid piece some old wine crate reproduction stickers a bit of staining and viola masterpiece in and of itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join