It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-virus ....which is the best - 2017

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Comodo internet security is a good package filehippo.com...

Much easier than most on the market and free

And panda is another one i have tried and liked filehippo.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

AV software will be around for a while as theres still plenty of companies using XP but check your preferred companies website to see if the is an EOL (end of life) notice.

And whatever you do don't install multiple AV's at the same time as they can clash as they're trying to do the same job and things can shall we say go downhill from there and fixing it can be a right PITA.

Theres probably a fix or two for the not being able to get updates, one of the worst problems was the fact pretty much every update doubled roughly the time it took to build the database of what was installed due to they never expected it to last as long as it did and also look into clearing out the windows update folder but that requires stopping and starting services and is a pain and you have to rebuild the update database but theres a patch that hot fixes it to speed up the process.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Thanks for that tip!
Although with Wun7, it should be several years down the road.

I did know that about more than one AV....but have heard you can run an online scan from another AV?

I may just stick with Avast.....it isn't that bad yet.....and it does not conflict with Malwarebytes Premium.

As far as hot fixes...tried one and got no where.
And updating databases....even reading too much technical stuff makes my brain hurt LOL
I need as simple as possible...hell, if that weren't true, I'd already be using Linux!!!

I appreciate your input

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm not sure if it's the best, but Comcast customers can download Norton 2017 as part of their internet subscription.

Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials that is built in to Windows 10. I also stay away from torrents and mainly get new software from the Microsoft app store.

posted on Apr, 11 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
My only observation is that I went off Norton in a big way when a previous laptop came with Norton360. It was OK at first, but it had a procedure when it would periodically do "background" work, and for some reason this work began refusing to stay in the background. It would simply take over and prevent me from doing anything else for an unpredictable period of time. Even "shut-down" was inaccessible, so I kept having to power-off.
I don't have that problem with McAfee.

edit on 11-4-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well, got rid of Avast.
One the desktop, scans stopped at 99% two weeks running.
The laptop sometimes would not load Avast properly.

We are now running Webroot....and although it is not free....seems like a good protection.....for both computers and the phone.
We bought if from Amazon. Better price than through Webroot.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think as long as you stay away from McAfee and Norton, you will be ok

I know you said not to.. but I don't mind security essentials at all and will also second Vipre. I've only recently been exposed to the latter though.

Either way, if you have been wanting to try Linux.. do it! Make a bootable USB with something like linuxmint and go to town. You really don't need anything like a PhD and its intimidation factor usually is from experiences long ago.

Personally, I log into windows more often than not for software, but I can't wait for the day when I can stop. I actually dig windows 10 quite a bit more than I ever thought I would, but still prefer Linux when no other factors are considered.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Thanks.

So far, I'm liking Webroot...nothing really to set up, and no updates to worry about.

As far as Linux.....I'm still procrastinating on it.
Good to hear your views in Win10...more people seem to be liking it more than people liking it less.
So, we'll see.

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Do it! Do it! Do it!

You are looking at maybe 5-10 minutes of effort. And for just a preliminary glimpse, I don't think you even need to restart your PC. I could be remembering incorrectly on that though! Honestly, in a lot of ways it just "fun," since 95% of my software is windows specific. Even so, its AMAZING what a Linux install can do for an older PC.

As for windows 10, my only issues with it are the issues I have with technology in general nowadays. Initially, I focused this all on windows until I realized they are just doing what everyone else is.. I changed my own approach to using technology and have not looked back. The actual OS is wonderful and for as annoyed as I am about everything from privacy to updates, its more than made up for it with features like a bash shell and even things like the ink workspace.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Well, I didn't do Linux.

But, I did do Webroot.
Loving it so far, takes fewer resources than Avast....
And, the slow load and closing of Opera on the laptop has vanished.

The definitions are on the cloud, so no worries about pesky definition updates.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I use PCMATIC

been using it for years now and have never gotten 1 virus..

Might have to go look it up..

pcmatic.com

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Currently using Sophos (at least at work) - it now has Intercept X, which is great against ransomware, which I think is the biggest threat right now. It literally stops the encryption process, and then decrypts the files the ransomware encrypted (and of course removes the virus).

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks.

It's always good to know what others are using.....no telling how long I'll be happy with Webroot!!!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Just restating about my previous comment after this recent attack.. ransomeware is the biggest threat right now, so an antivirus that defeats ransomeware is the best bet. : )

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The best is...none!

i don't have an anti-virus, i know what i am doing with my computer and the websites i visit.

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Conan The Usurper
The best is...none!

i don't have an anti-virus, i know what i am doing with my computer and the websites i visit.

While I often forgo antivirus on my personal computer (I always use it at work), I am no so naive to think I am immune, no matter how skillfully I am patched, updated, and browse. I don't think you are magically immune to zero-day threats either. : )

posted on Jul, 9 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

And AVG.....don't remember liking it much.

Thats the thing , i use AVG and quite like it . Stopped me on more than a few occasions from doing something stupid .

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

originally posted by: Conan The Usurper
The best is...none!

While I often forgo antivirus on my personal computer (I always use it at work), I am no so naive to think I am immune, no matter how skillfully I am patched, updated, and browse. I don't think you are magically immune to zero-day threats either. : )

While not being immune, an anti-virus will not catch or prevent what would get to me anyways. Something like adwcleaner is more useful

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Kaspersky or ESET Nod 32 - if you want free, Windows Defender is also quite good.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

While not being immune, an anti-virus will not catch or prevent what would get to me anyways. Something like adwcleaner is more useful

Not exactly true. If you say, get a 0-day ransomeware virus, and it starts encrypting your data, and you had Sophos installed, it would stop the encryption, decrypt the files, and quarantine the process. So while it won't stop a virus it doesn't know about, some antivirus do have the ability to stop adverse activities once kicked off by a virus.
edit on 14-7-2017 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join