It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says It Is No Longer Interested In Forcing Assad To Step Down; Focused On ISIS Instead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Finally some great news if the article is to be believed. I still have doubts simply because I do not trust words but believe actions... Anyway if ISIS is cleaned out it will be a better day for everyone...except ISIS..

After showing signs of ratcheting up the Obama war policy against Syria and the government of Bashar al-Assad, the U.S. government has released an official statement that has shocked many on both the pro-Syria and opposition sides. According to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, the United States is no longer concerned with forcing Assad to leave power and instead will be focused on “defeating ISIS.”

The bad part of the article is where it is said:

“We can’t necessarily focus on Assad the way that the previous administration did,” she added. “Our priority is to really look at how do we get things done, who do we need to work with to really make a difference for the people in Syria.”

On Thursday in Ankara, Tillerson stated that the future of the Syrian government “will be decided by the Syrian people.”

Libya anyone ?

One other thing that would make some happy and others like Turkey/Syria maybe really pissed is an effort to carve out or create a Kurdistan inside Syria.. The Kurds from what I have read have been worthy fighters against ISIS and IMO should be rewarded for their efforts..
www.activistpost.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Good. Usa needs to leave people alone and mind their own business. We are the "bad guys". I hate our policies. We suck.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Common sense and more promises kept. Yay! The Deep State HATES common sense though as we know---it has no place in their agenda. McCain & Graham are gonna have strokes. Can our nation survive common sense?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
About damn time.

As I recall there's been a fair deal of cooperation between the Syrians (plus allies) and America as of recent. During the (second) battle to liberate Palmyra US aircraft targetted Islamic State armour in support of the Syrians, they did the same when the Islamic State attacked Deir Azzor (which was good since last time they were there under Obama they attacked the Syrians).

There was also a degree of cooperation between Russian soldiers and US "advisers" in the Al-Amirah region, since it came under joint Syrian-Kurdish control after it was liberated from the terrorists.

Most recently an American drone attacked "moderate" opposition targets in Idlib province following their most recent offensive.

“We can’t necessarily focus on Assad the way that the previous administration did,” she added. “Our priority is to really look at how do we get things done, who do we need to work with to really make a difference for the people in Syria.”

I wouldn't worry about that. It's just your typical diplomatic BS.

The Syrian people have spoken. They stand with their government and their countrymen.

I also think Syria already has some agreements with the YPG in regards to Kurdistan. They've been in a De-facto Alliance against the terrorists for about 3 years now. I would be very surprised if there was no post-war discussion between them during that time.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The Assad situation and statements have never sat well with me, I know and have worked with a number of Syrians and not one has ever said a bad thing about him as a leader or living standards in the country.. In fact all have praised his leadership and how the country had until the war by proxy been a free trade area for people from all faiths and on the whole Muslims, Christians, Jews etc etc all got along just fine in Damascus...

People in the west look at something and because it may not be the way it is done locally think it is wrong and try to call someone out when really it is the only way, some places in the world do need a strong leader. On that note I should also mention that Assad is a elected leader of a sovereign nation, no country has the right to try and "topple" him..

The sad part of this is that it is to late, Syria has been turned into a crater thanks to the psychopaths that approve of this BS, how many innocent people have been displaced, Murdered and raped??.. Since the USA try to portray themselves as the police force for the globe they have done a bloody awful job but then we all know the rhetoric was more sinister..

RA

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Right on.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
This can only be a good thing...right?

I fear it may already be too little too late as the damage is already done as they say, the US and allies of which my home nation is the main one really should just stop meddling in other's affairs and clean our own houses out, and pigs might fly

edit on 1-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: spelling as per

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's great to see that people are reacting positively to this news. Ousting Assad was an extremely THICK and STUPID idea. He refuses to allow the pipeline to be built on Syrian soil, so according to libs, he has to go. How dare he stand in the way of Saudi money. He refuses to allow rothschild and world bank to establish their corrupt form of banking in Syria, so according to libs, he has to go.

"Oh but cnn told me he's real bad", yeah, check your IQ and get back to me.

Well done President Trump. Bashir and Vladimir know who the real enemy is and it looks like you do to. Sorry libs, isis no longer has the protection of the United States defence force. "REEEEEEEEEE"

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Why do you think they never gave the fsa shoulder fire stinger missiles. Durrrrr. They just wanted syria destabilized so they weren't a threat to our petro dollar.
edit on 1-4-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Also rebels are being aloud to evacuate, and are taking their lives with them.

www.apnewsarchive.com... -evacuated-from-the-last-rebel-held-neighborhood/id-79f67b9baf5b4085992424a8f883c519

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

Good. Usa needs to leave people alone and mind their own business. We are the "bad guys". I hate our policies. We suck.

So when the President sends American troops to help Assad and Putin defeat ISIS, will that be a good thing or a bad thing?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Forcing Assad out would be just plain stupid , look at Iraq and Libya now . What needs to be done apart from getting rid of isis is to make it quite clear to Assad that he needs to pull his head in after isis is finished .

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Obama worked for Saudi Arabia and the Muslim Brotherhood. Now that he is gone, the tide has turned for the Islamic state.

This is good news for getting to an end of all this Middle East conflict.
edit on 1-4-2017 by kwakakev because: add last sentence

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
The Assad situation and statements have never sat well with me, I know and have worked with a number of Syrians and not one has ever said a bad thing about him as a leader or living standards in the country.. In fact all have praised his leadership and how the country had until the war by proxy been a free trade area for people from all faiths and on the whole Muslims, Christians, Jews etc etc all got along just fine in Damascus...

People in the west look at something and because it may not be the way it is done locally think it is wrong and try to call someone out when really it is the only way, some places in the world do need a strong leader. On that note I should also mention that Assad is a elected leader of a sovereign nation, no country has the right to try and "topple" him..

The sad part of this is that it is to late, Syria has been turned into a crater thanks to the psychopaths that approve of this BS, how many innocent people have been displaced, Murdered and raped??.. Since the USA try to portray themselves as the police force for the globe they have done a bloody awful job but then we all know the rhetoric was more sinister..

RA

You probably won't want to believe Amnesty International I guess - too liberal for you?

www.amnesty.org... -prison/

The Syrian government has and is responsibly for torture and repression of its citizens for over a decade. I understand people would rather ignore that and talk about 'false flags' but just because the civil revolt that started due to the actions of Assad against his own people allowed ISIS to gain a foothold does not make Assad suddenly a benevolent ruler. I get it though, Assad is friends with Russia and Putin is the BFF of Trump so suddenly the world has magically changed.

Do not take what I have written above to mean I agree with any country deciding it has the right to force a regime change in another country, but to ignore the actual facts is rather sad.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: slider1982

RA

You probably won't want to believe Amnesty International I guess - too liberal for you?

www.amnesty.org... -prison/

The Syrian government has and is responsibly for torture and repression of its citizens for over a decade. I understand people would rather ignore that and talk about 'false flags' but just because the civil revolt that started due to the actions of Assad against his own people allowed ISIS to gain a foothold does not make Assad suddenly a benevolent ruler. I get it though, Assad is friends with Russia and Putin is the BFF of Trump so suddenly the world has magically changed.

Do not take what I have written above to mean I agree with any country deciding it has the right to force a regime change in another country, but to ignore the actual facts is rather sad.
You're right...Don't ever trust Amnesty International...They are a terrorist supporting organization...

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Great news...now can we get the billions of dollars spent on guns training "moderate" rebels etc...back?

What waste ...of monumental proportions
How many lives have been shattered or worse?
edit on 1-4-2017 by BlueJacket because: So

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Can it be true?

After 16 years of Bush/Obama intervention policy, will the Warhawks in both parties allow this to happen?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

Of course they are. I'm sure Trump and Putin will have a script all worked out about how Assad is such a benevolent dictator - after all, a president who took the reins from his father with an election result of over 99% in the first election and over 97% in his second can't possibly be the kind of person who rules through fear can he?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
a reply to: Iscool

Of course they are. I'm sure Trump and Putin will have a script all worked out about how Assad is such a benevolent dictator - after all, a president who took the reins from his father with an election result of over 99% in the first election and over 97% in his second can't possibly be the kind of person who rules through fear can he?

Nobody has said he is a good guy. Hell, none of these dictators are.

But what is the alternative... really...

Let's look at a prime example... say Libya

Crazy dictator to chaotic ISIS haven.

Why should we spend all of these resources to overthrow Dictators who are replaced by something even worse?

The only outcome I can see is multiple nations without central government which become strongholds for ISIS and related organizations... Then maybe say someone like Erdogan will need to move in and restore order?

edit on 1-4-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: Idreamofme

So when the President sends American troops to help Assad and Putin defeat ISIS, will that be a good thing or a bad thing?

That won't be necessary. The Islamic State is collapsing on all fronts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join