It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical Thinking Skills

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You might find this article insightful. The following was written in 2003 but still largely applies today.

Television programming focuses on the emotional, the melodramatic, and the simplistic. The world presented is black and white, pure evil against pure good. Social stereotypes are fostered. Complexity is ignored. There is no role for deep learning. Special effects are given great significance. Is it then surprising that most people vote for politicians who explain the world in these same simplistic stereotyped terms? So at minimum, most of the time students spend watching TV is a waste of precious time. At worst, students are soaking up dysfunctional ideas about how humans ought to interrelate, or validating the irrational ideas they already have.

The logic behind bias and propaganda in the news media is simple. Each society and culture has a unique worldview. This colors what they see and how they see it. News media in the cultures of the world reflect the worldview of their own culture. But the truth of what is happening in the world is much more complicated than what appears true in any culture. To be a critical reader of the news media, students need to come to terms with this truth and critique the media accordingly. When students learn the tools of critical thought, they have the tools they need to detect media bias.

And that ties nicely into the Adam Curtis documentary Hypernormalisation

The film shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us, we accept it as normal.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Sudoku is very good in helping people develop thinking skills.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I have found recently that in many more cases than we'd like to see critical thinking is lacking on ATS and similar forums. Too many people jump the gun before even researching a story or theory just because "if it sounds sensational it must be true". Normally rational people immediately assume conspiracy and worst case scenarios without hard facts and blow things out of proportion in the quest for stars, flags and popularity points in their rush to be conspiracy forum stars- even those who know better. I understand that people get excited and temporarily lose perspective but it is starting to get out of hand. I guess it could be easy to do when you can't trust the media- mainstream or otherwise- to present unbiased facts anymore but that doesn't mean we should let our imaginations go wild and run with it.

Oops, I think I just had a mini-rant!
Slinking away now...

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I have found recently that in many more cases than we'd like to see critical thinking is lacking on ATS and similar forums. Too many people jump the gun before even researching a story or theory just because "if it sounds sensational it must be true". Normally rational people immediately assume conspiracy and worst case scenarios without hard facts and blow things out of proportion in the quest for stars, flags and popularity points in their rush to be conspiracy forum stars- even those who know better. I understand that people get excited and temporarily lose perspective but it is starting to get out of hand. I guess it could be easy to do when you can't trust the media- mainstream or otherwise- to present unbiased facts anymore but that doesn't mean we should let our imaginations go wild and run with it.

Oops, I think I just had a mini-rant!
Slinking away now...

Exactly why I started this thread.
People jumping to conclusions and speculations gone awry
Had something to do with Atlanta . Has alot to do with alot of things in the last year or so.

The most prevalent thing that comes to mind is US politics. Why are so many people just ate up with Trump and all? What about other countries? I live in the USA and the last thing on my mind is politics. Until it is force fed to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Michet
You might find this article insightful. The following was written in 2003 but still largely applies today.

Television programming focuses on the emotional, the melodramatic, and the simplistic. The world presented is black and white, pure evil against pure good. Social stereotypes are fostered. Complexity is ignored. There is no role for deep learning. Special effects are given great significance. Is it then surprising that most people vote for politicians who explain the world in these same simplistic stereotyped terms? So at minimum, most of the time students spend watching TV is a waste of precious time. At worst, students are soaking up dysfunctional ideas about how humans ought to interrelate, or validating the irrational ideas they already have.

The logic behind bias and propaganda in the news media is simple. Each society and culture has a unique worldview. This colors what they see and how they see it. News media in the cultures of the world reflect the worldview of their own culture. But the truth of what is happening in the world is much more complicated than what appears true in any culture. To be a critical reader of the news media, students need to come to terms with this truth and critique the media accordingly. When students learn the tools of critical thought, they have the tools they need to detect media bias.

And that ties nicely into the Adam Curtis documentary Hypernormalisation

The film shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us, we accept it as normal.

Kind of why I don't pay much attention to the media anymore. I can choose and read what I want, Think for myself and weed out the crap.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
If you lack critical thinking skills, you can start working on it by getting in the habit of "sanity testing". Or, just always ask yourself "Does this make sense", then practice answering that question. Its slow at first, but you get better with practice. Neural paths eventually become neural highways, and it becomes second nature.

Dude, you and I both know that there are some people, well, alot of people , would not pass the sanity test.

Just saying.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join