It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Part of I-85 collapses in Atlanta after massive fire

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Gryphon66

Um. Georgia kinda does it to itself. Every year.

I've lived here 50 years as a gay man and I'm telling you that you don't know what the $#%@ you're talking about.

But, hey, since you don't care about hundreds of thousands of people's lives being screwed up by this ... keep quoting Wikipedia.

Well damn...just when I thought we would always be on opposite sides on ATS you come through with a post I can 100% agree with.

I'd say outside of any city in CA, Atlanta is likely the most diverse area in the country and plenty accepting of all walks of life.

My favorite cousin is gay and she just got married to her partner of 15 years and I was all up in that wedding having a blast. Probably one of the strongest couples and partnerships I have ever seen in my 40 years on this earth. Respect is an understatement.

Not to mention the African American community here. We have one of the largest, yet when all of the crap went down with every other city about black lives matter....somehow we didn't have any issues...even with protests.

Personally I love GA and always will. I'm a sweet tea and grits kinda guy.

Yeah, I noticed that we were going to be in agreement on this one. LOL.

We'd get along fine in person. I've been arguing with my conservative buddies for years.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

You're familiar with the area just west of the city? That's where I grew up.

Admittedly, peppered with some real actual racists.

But not a one of those high schools have had a segregated prom in the last 50 years.

It's absurd.

Very famiiar...and like you I can't really recall a single racial incident since I've been alive here.

I am sure there have been some in whatever rural tiny town, but GA is known for Atlanta and please let me know when we aren't accepting of every race and sexual preference. I grew up hanging with trannies in little 5 and I have to say they are some of the most genuine people youll ever meet.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
***Assuming this is just an accident which is the official story right now***

Regardless, it's scary to think how an intense fire like this can take out a bridge like this. I'm imagining how scary it would be on bridges like Sunshine Skyway. Also bridges that are pretty much the only way to/from a particular area could be a real mess.

I wonder if we will see codes change where storage (or certain types of storage) under bridges will no longer be allowed.
edit on 30-3-2017 by SuperStudChuck because: Split up sentences for clarification

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I know I kind of ragged on you in my first post but I can't stay mad at a fellow Georgian.

Good to know I'm not the lone ATSer down here lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I know I kind of ragged on you in my first post but I can't stay mad at a fellow Georgian.

Good to know I'm not the lone ATSer down here lol.

Amazing that we forgot about political differences eh?

We're going to need a lot of that in the next few weeks.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

link   

Exactly what I was thinking! You read my mind.

link   

Since PVC is highly fire resistant, it is widely used in exterior construction materials such as window profiles, siding boards, or interior housing materials, such as wall-covering and flooring. It is also used in industrial facilities such as tanks, ducts, parting strips, or for sign boards, corrugated boards, and cable coverings. There may be many ways of evaluating the fire retarding properties, but the oxygen index can be used for the evaluation with a comparatively high precision and reproducibility of the results. It represents the minimum oxygen concentration required for the test piece to continue burning in mixed gas of oxygen and nitrogen. When the value is higher, the fire retarding property is higher. Since the oxygen concentration in the air is 21%, a plastic with an oxygen index greater than 22 has self-extinguishing property, while a plastic with oxygen index smaller than 21 is flammable

www.pvc.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Dayum, those pics look like a fuel truck, or gas line went up.

Look at the ground fire to the right.
edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: added

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

(post by Vasa Croe removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My guess is that any future referendum votes to increase taxes for highway infrastructure/storage facilities will be more likely to pass after this incident.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
How flammable is PVC? What's the likelihood it catches fire during rush hour? On the busiest interstate? Near a railroad depot? With a train going by? And APD/AFD don't know what caused it? But they do know the smoke isn't toxic? Come on. And FBI already says it's definitively not terror...okay...

That's my question too....it was not hot today and these pipes don't just spontaneously combust. This was arson of some sort.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

When produced or burned, PVC plastic releases dioxins, a group of the most potent synthetic chemicals ever tested, which can cause cancer (dioxin is the most potent carcinogen known to science) and harm the immune and reproductive systems.

Dioxins are extremely long-lived in the environment, and, because they are fat-soluble, they concentrate in the tissues of humans and other species.

www.consumer.org.my...
edit on 3/30/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperStudChuck
***Assuming this is just an accident which is the official story right now***

Regardless, it's scary to think how an intense fire like this can take out a bridge like this. I'm imagining bridges like Sunshine Skyway or bridges that are pretty much the only way to/from a particular area.

No, the Skyway is not the only way in or out of Tampa/St Pete by any means. I've taken both the Skyway & 75 in & out of Tampa, they take roughly the same amounts of time to get to destinations, save for a few minutes with whatever interstate is closer to the destination. There is also many other N/S roads in & out of the area on the E side of the Bay (US 41 and Rt 301 being the most traveled) The difference is literally about 15-20 minutes drive time on a good day is all.

Also, the Skyway, as many don't know, was plowed into in the 80's by a cargo ship and did collapse. The current one is the rebuilt bridge.
edit on 3/30/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I've lived here my entire life and racism has never really been prevalent at all in my experiences.

You can't judge an entire state by a minority of racists, that's ridiculous.

Well, I'll admit, I'm usually razzing on my conservative fellow Georgians, but as you say, most of them are good people. This is a major catastrophe that's going to cause real problems for weeks and maybe months. I can't believe anyone would basically say we deserve it based on Wikipedia.

Ignorance knows no bias....unfortunately GA Wil always be labelled as a biased southern state. Regardless of having one of the largest LGBT and African American cultures in re entire US, just being in the south is what most see.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Looked at your news link.

Commutes are going to suck!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Sorry for the confusion... Wasn't saying Sunshine Skyway was an "only way" bridge... should have made 2 separate sentences.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join