It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falling: An Epic Fantasy

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Now I'm at the edge of my seat wondering what happens next???

I enjoyed the description of the apothecary. I used to have jars with dried herbs everywhere and live herb plants. At one time I made my own skincare products, and healing balms, soaps and scented oils.

edit on 24-4-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Well then, Night Star, let's find out what happens next, shall we?

I'm glad you enjoyed the apothecary description. I was imagining a cross between the tiny health-food store in my town, a landscape/nursery a friend of mine owns, and an Asian foods market I've visited - all "medievalized", of course.

I haven't made too many of my own skin care products, but I've made my own shaving cream a few times. I never figured out how to make a really good all-natural one, though. Now, I actually shave with just some all-natural soap.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
64 - Behind the Leaf

Siere felt a surge of energy as she quickly maneuvered around the counter and into the back room.

Lord Braeghe was on his knees on the floor, holding a middle-aged woman with sandy blonde hair and tanned skin. Blood trickled down from a split lip, and from a cut on her temple where it matted her hair to her skull. Her breathing was labored, and she seemed delirious.

“Mistress Thannen!” Siere cried, running over to them. “Here, Lord Braeghe, lay her down. Gently.”

He complied, then quickly took off his cloak and folded it into a pillow for her head. Siere Gathered tamborae, then placed her hands on Mistress Thannen’s forehead and her chest over her heart. The woman was in deep distress.

“What can I do to help, Seeress?”

“Lock the door, Lord Braeghe. Please hurry, she is dying,” she said to him as she Gathered more tamborae.

Lord Braeghe did as she asked, then returned promptly. She was already in the process of Taking the woman’s wounds.

“Lord Braeghe, I will not have much time. If I do not go into the Expelling immediately I may not survive. Please see we are not disturbed.”

The man actually bowed, drawing his sword and proceeding farther into the back of the storeroom. She had to put him out of her mind, though, and concentrate. tamborae was a fiery mountain inside her, her body thrumming with energy. The woman’s injuries melded with her, and she fought to retain her consciousness. The assailant had been merciless. Mistress Thannen’s liver had been damaged, and one of her kidneys ruptured. She was bleeding internally. Luckily she had merely been knocked out from a blow to the head. Siere detected no damage to her brain, and there was no bleeding inside the woman’s skull. She would not have been able to save her if there had been. As it was, she would not be able to Take that part of the Mistress Thannen’s injuries, or she would lose consciousness and might not be able to complete the Expelling. The pain made her eyes sting and her stomach heave as her skin seemed to prickle.

Mistress Thannen’s memories slammed into her then, flashes of images and vignettes in a dizzying jumble.

Spittle sprayed on her face as his wine-soaked breath wafted over her, his mouth close to her ear. His hand gripped her head by her hair, and she could feel it tearing out.

“Our master was clear, you street whore. Give us what we are here for, or you and your family will pay in pain. I will kill each of them in front of you, slowly, starting with your children. Then I will kill your husband while you watch. You will be last, and you will beg. Do you understand? We own you.”

Flash. The woman's panic took hold. Terror filled her.

“That was not the agreed upon price,” she began shakily, her heart thudding in her chest and her face stinging from the man’s blow.

The sweaty hand grabbed her and slammed her head down on the counter. She saw colors and her knees sagged as the room seemed to tilt this way and that. She felt sick.

Flash. Siere gasped, fighting for control.

She mixed the ikrot flower with the udei, mashing them together into a smooth paste with one of her mortar and pestles. Next she placed them in a jar of alcohol, sealing it and shaking it vigorously. In two weeks it would be a virulent concoction that would kill in less than a minute. Not like the olaith, which took weeks of regular dosages, but was far less detectable. She grabbed a small funnel and the latest batch of olaith, and began filling several blue vials, each with a tiny getli'al leaf imprinted near the bottom. The vials were expensive, but she could afford it. A self-satisfied smirk touched her lips. She heard the door to her shop open and heavy boots enter.

Flash. She felt her stomach heave, and the room spun around her.

The customer left, a determined look on her face. The woman had purchased kin-toe serum, which came from certain venomous snakes. Alone, the venom could not kill a human; it only gave them a mild itchy rash. But mixed with the right herbs, it became a potent, deadly poison. Someone would die soon. She didn’t know if they deserved it. She didn’t really care anyway, she had been paid, and paid well. That was what mattered.

Siere could not hold it in. In tears, she wailed, burying her face in her hands even as she began Expelling the woman’s injuries. What have I done?

edit on 4-25-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: Anway, amway? No! ANYway!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
Heck ya! I have some catching up to do!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

*waves*

Have fun! How far back are you?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

What have I done?

Oh geez...what has she done? I hope Siere hasn't gone too far and now damaged herself by taking on more injuries, etc. I know, wait and find out.

You're doing a great job of expressing how Siere literally becomes each victim, reliving their experiences and feeling their pain and fear. She is indeed the "Empath Extreme" and I fear it's detrimental to her own existence.
Waiting, with baited breath...I am waiting for more.

It saddens me that you don't have a larger audience here, they don't know what they're missing. I feel as attached to the lead characters as I do with "Game of Thrones".
jacy

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Mornin' Jacy! I have a couple minutes here before I get into my morning study.

I think you could actually figure out what Siere has done if you take what happened in the last scene and stack it up against who Siere is. Remember a quote from Taarvaes in a previous scene: "You have a healer's heart, Seeress." She protects life; she feels it's her duty and purpose.

literally becomes each victim

Yes, she does, at least temporarily. Or more accurately, it's like a pendulum. Her mind swings from herself to the person she's healing. When she healed the girl who was assaulted, she cries out to Gaalen, "Don't leave me!" - she was halfway between the personalities at that point, swinging back toward herself.

RE: Audience. Hm. I guess I had hoped for some more readers as well by this point, but it's OK. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in other places on ATS except the Shed, so that's probably part of it. I also wonder if the sheer size of it might be a detriment. *shrug* I think some folks read but do not comment, also. It's all good.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Oh Shep! You can't stop here!!! OMGosh! Shep! This story is so painful! Having to wait is killing us! But I am loving it!
Hurt so good? LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Morning, Admin! I am being a bit sadistic with my breaking points, aren't I?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
And enjoying our torture I see... LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
A bit, perhaps.

Maybe more than a bit. A smidgen?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Audience. Hm. I guess I had hoped for some more readers as well by this point, but it's OK. I haven't spent a whole lot of time in other places on ATS except the Shed, so that's probably part of it. I also wonder if the sheer size of it might be a detriment. *shrug* I think some folks read but do not comment, also. It's all good.

We talked about this...LOL
I don't want to mess up the flow AND...I wanna write a book review at the end

It saddens me that you don't have a larger audience here, they don't know what they're missing. I feel as attached to the lead characters as I do with "Game of Thrones".

Following along...

(multi quoted for you!)
((hugs)) all!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
I was thinking of you when I said "Some folks read but don't comment", Chirp. I know you follow along silently in the stands. Pretty sure you're not the only one though, but I will let lurkers lurk and not try to create a list.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
65 - That Which Is Left Unsaid

Gaalen heard a mournful, despairing cry from back where the Seeress was healing the apothecary. Alarmed, he hurried back through the shelves and baskets of dried roots, herbs, sealed jars and other items to where the Seeress sat up against the wall near the unconscious Mistress Thannen. She was pale, and blood trickled from her mouth as she shook with convulsions. He dropped his drawn weapon and knelt, cradling her so she would not hit her head on the clutter of the backroom.

Her shaking stopped, and the slender Seeress sagged in his arms. He held her in the quiet dimness, waiting for her to wake.

It only took minutes this time, unlike the hours she slept after the assaulted girl’s Taking in the Temple. Seeress Meron stirred, her unfocused eyes dazedly staring into Gaalen’s. Abruptly they sharpened, and she sat up, seeming to take in her surroundings.

“Thank you, Lord Braeghe,” she said stiffly. There was a sour twist to her mouth that puzzled Gaalen.

Mistress Thannen stirred as the Seeress started to stand up. She straightened and looked down at the older woman, slowly pushing herself up. Light blue eyes looked around as if not understanding where she was. She found Siere and Gaalen, looking up at them.

“Seeress Lady Meron! Why are,” she shook her head, her words trailing off.

“You were hurt, Mistress Thannen.”

“I –,” she put a hand to her head. “I only remember bits. They came,” she stopped. Slowly she stood.

“You saved my life. I was dead,” she said softly, unsteadily reaching for Siere’s hand. To Gaalen’s surprise, the Seeress recoiled, jerking her hand back.

“Seeress?” Gaalen looked at her in shock.

Siere was staring daggers at the apothecary, whose eyes had widened. “Seeress, please forgive me,” she pleaded as she knelt down and started to clutch at the hem of Siere’s robe.

Siere angrily pulled her robes away, and stepped back close to Gaalen. “Don’t touch me! I know what you are!” she hissed.

The apothecary started to weep, still trying to raise a supplicating hand to Siere. “Please!”

Her voice haughty and cold, she turned to Gaalen, “We are done here, Lord Captain. She will live.”

Without looking back at the kneeling, weeping Mistress Thannen, she turned and headed out of the woman’s shop.

Bewildered, Gaalen picked up his sword and cloak, then hurried after the Seeress.

“Seeress, will you tell me what happened back there?” he asked as he caught up to her. “You were so eager to save her, but then,” he trailed off.

She stopped and turned to face him, fury plain on her face.

“She’s not just an apothecary, Lord Braeghe. She makes poisons! That is her true trade,” she whispered fiercely. “I just healed someone who is responsible for dozens of murders, maybe hundreds, and she will keep doing it because all that is in her heart is greed! I should have let her die!” she snarled.

Gaalen began to understand her anger now, as he was feeling it too. There was enough death in the world without someone actively propagating it just to line their own pockets. But a thought struck him.

“Seeress, if I may be so bold, I think you are wrong.”

“Wrong? I am not wrong,” she started. He held up a hand to forestall her.

“I mean to say that you are wrong about letting her die,” he said gently. “I realize this may be presumptuous, and if so, I apologize, but Seeress,” he said, daring to place a hand softly on her upper arm, “I don’t believe that is who you are inside. No one who cares for others like you do is so cold-hearted. I’ve killed, Seeress. It changes you. Letting her die would have given you a wound that could not be Expelled, and I for one am glad you chose as you did. You’re right, she may not change. But if you had refused to heal her, you would have taken away her chance to change. Death cannot be Taken, right? Now at least, there is a chance she may change.”

She stared at him for a moment, her face expressionless and unreadable. She slowly looked down at his hand, resting on her arm. Suddenly self-conscious, he pulled it back, feeling now as though he had overstepped his bounds.

“I,” he started uncertainly, “I apologize, Seeress. I forgot myself.”

Gaalen presumed her anger still held, as the vein in her delicate neck pulsed quickly, and her cheeks showed a faint flush. Still looking away from him, she closed her eyes slowly, taking a deep breath, likely to calm herself further.

“We should return to the Temple, Lord Captain. I will have to find a new supplier for my apothecary items another time.”

Without waiting for him, she began walking down Archangel Street toward the Gerat Kuhjinoe and the Temple of Aomm.

edit on 4-26-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: Too many surprises!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I have to find a new word to replace "Wow!"

Is Siere falling for Gaalen a little? She's definitely feeling something.

It's interesting how she heals others.
An empath will sit and listen to somebody talk about their problems, and in time the other person starts to feel better...as though they have relief from their burden.
The empath usually feels heavy/thoughtful afterwards, as if they have taken on the other person's burden.

You are showing this so beautifully and I'm really curious to see what develops. Thank you for posting the next part so quickly, some of us are chomping at the bit, lol.
jacy

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl
Is Siere falling for Gaalen a little? She's definitely feeling something.

Interesting. What makes you say that?

It's interesting how she heals others.
An empath will sit and listen to somebody talk about their problems, and in time the other person starts to feel better...as though they have relief from their burden.
The empath usually feels heavy/thoughtful afterwards, as if they have taken on the other person's burden.

RAFO.

You are showing this so beautifully and I'm really curious to see what develops. Thank you for posting the next part so quickly, some of us are chomping at the bit, lol.
jacy

I tease you, Jacy, but your words do warm my heart. I am truly thankful you and others are enjoying this story.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I mean what I say Shep, just being honest.
I can't find a darn thing to criticize, and admit to being a little envious of your skills!

I just feel like Siere is starting to see Gaalen in a different light. He has more depth than she first assumed. Now she seems to be letting down her guard (somewhat) around him, and also seems confused by his behaviour.
So I feel like she might be thinking that she was wrong about him, and is at the very least softening towards him.

Of course I could be completely wrong too, lol.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, the whole story is not written, so I guess you'll just have to RAFO and I'll have to WAFO. LOL
And, I know you are honest and mean what you say, Jacy. That's what makes it so heart-warming.

I will say this: yes, Siere's coming to the realization that her initial characterization of Gaalen may have been incorrect. When she barged into his apartments early on she called him a "bedroom prince" - it's a specific insult in this society, like saying in our culture that someone slept their way to the top of the corporate ladder. For Siere, that kind of thing is truly reprehensible given how hard she has worked to get where she is and how much she has sacrificed.

But now, after spending time around the men he leads, and training with him personally, she's coming to the realization that maybe he's not an incompetent who was given his rank because he's Kaena's pet. So certainly there - regarding a change in her perception of him - you are not wrong.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Thank you for the validation, lol. (I can read between the lines sometimes too!)

I knew that she looked down her nose at him, and figured out that the "bedroom prince" remark was a slur against him. But judging somebody before getting to know them is never usually accurate so I'm glad I was right about that.

Do you ever find it hard to concentrate on work because your mind is writing the story? Sometimes I am literally not paying attention to real life because I'm writing in my head.

I seriously just got a text and have to pop out again. *sigh*
Have a great night Shep, I'll be back to visit The Shed in the morning.
jacy

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacygirl

I mean what I say Shep, just being honest.
I can't find a darn thing to criticize, and admit to being a little envious of your skills!

I just feel like Siere is starting to see Gaalen in a different light. He has more depth than she first assumed. Now she seems to be letting down her guard (somewhat) around him, and also seems confused by his behaviour.
So I feel like she might be thinking that she was wrong about him, and is at the very least softening towards him.

Of course I could be completely wrong too, lol.

That is what I have been getting from this story as well.

Ok, finally caught up. I read, I starred and I shall return.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join