It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders could theoretically eat every human on Earth in one year

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
Dont worry about getting eaten , worry about getting bit .

Guess what country .

What is Australia? Trebek.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Gotta love our cute little furry critters. Here is a pretty shell for you .

He he he .

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

But they still can't eat your mom, oh! Kidding

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm still not afraid of spiders. I have been bit at least two times that I know of but I also had a little spider in my hair killing headlice I got from the granddaughter one day. He was very thorough at his job, all were dead. My granddaughter got them from school, lots of kids had them that time. I didn't kill my little friendly worker that day after combing him out. The wife and I had a good laugh and I brought the wee little creature outside and thanked him for helping me out.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

LOL. I actually was in the same situation with a huge spider on the ceiling like that.

I grabbed a large bin just like he did and was going to attempt that, then the size got to me and I said F that and grabbed something large and squashed it in the ceiling . Took a couple of hits.

The clean up was not pretty and typically I relocate bugs and even roaches . However with my son in the house and I didn't feel like I could get a second chance plus a vision of what happened to that guy I decided to squash the bugger.

Ever since then I take a look at the ceiling to make sure we don't have anymore.Actually decided it was a good time to replace all the AC duct in the attic just to be safe since it was on the todo list anyways. The thing was huge,

However, worse than that. At a friends house we looked up at the kitchen ceiling and noticed a big black line inside the ceiling tile lights and were like WTF is that? then the thing moves. It was a freakin 4-6 foot snake. It still makes me crawl. We had to take the end of a broom stick and move the ceiling tile up to get it to get out. Long Story short, the thing fell from the ceiling and was not happy about it and was jumping and hauling ass at us when it came down. It was a freaking nightmare to get that thing out of the house by stearing it to the front door.

edit on 43331America/ChicagoThu, 30 Mar 2017 09:43:06 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Lol. That spider must have felt like he landed in an all you can eat buffet.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

edit on 30-3-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol. That spider must have felt like he landed in an all you can eat buffet.

That little spider had a lot of energy, I had a hard time keeping him from getting off the sheet of paper he was on. There were at least a half a dozen dead lice in my hair when I combed it out, no live ones.

I have learned to respect everything in nature, everything has a purpose. It is just that sometimes their purpose interferes with my life, other times things work symbiotically.

When I quit spraying around the house for mosquitoes years ago, the mosquitos disappeared, the yard has a lot of tree frogs and toads in it and the dragon flies seem to be hanging around a lot. The dragon flies do kill sandflies too, but it seems that the dragon flies around as much during the early spring as they are during mosquito season. www.wbrcouncil.org... There are lots of all kinds of spiders out here too, they protect my woodpile from getting eaten by bugs.

I still like dragonflies even though I got bit by one one day. It landed on me while fishing at a dam and I was admiring it and it looked at me and slammed it's face down onto the back of my hand and took a chunk out, did that hurt. I was shocked, I wouldn't want to be attacked by hundreds of those things. But I still am not afraid of them, I am just not going them land on my hands anymore without chasing them off. Admiring natures beauty can hurt some times.
edit on 30-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Admiring natures beauty can hurt some times.

Very true. One of the rules of nature is that the more colorful and flashier it looks, the more dangerous it probably is.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I also had a little spider in my hair killing headlice

So you have a cheap natural cure for head lice and you do this .

I didn't kill my little friendly worker that day after combing him out. The wife and I had a good laugh and I brought the wee little creature outside and thanked him for helping me out.

Thats why you dont have one of these those umm a car that looks like this .

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I also had a little spider in my hair killing headlice

So you have a cheap natural cure for head lice and you do this .

I didn't kill my little friendly worker that day after combing him out. The wife and I had a good laugh and I brought the wee little creature outside and thanked him for helping me out.

Thats why you dont have one of these those umm a car that looks like this .

Yeah, I um...don't have a "car" that looks like that. I better watch what I write, this is evidence.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Haha! Don't forget. Female spiders really know how to make a man out of you...or rather a MEAL!

To be fair there are also male species of spider that eat the female. Just generally, Spiders know how to party like Death Metal Bands.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Creepy Cannibalism: Why Female Spiders Eat Mates

In many spider species, females eat the males after sex. Studies have suggested various complex evolutionary reasons involving costs and benefits to the species, sperm competition and esoteric sexual selection schemes.

Turns out the motivation for this creepy cannibalism is much simpler.

It's all about size. If males are small, they're easier to catch and therefore more likely to be prey, say Shawn Wilder and Ann Rypstra from Miami University in Ohio. Big females eat their puny mates simply because a) they're hungry and b) they can.

Wilder and Rypstra found that among the wolf spider (Hogna helluo), large males were never eaten by their mates, while small males were consumed 80 percent of the time.

I'm not really sure what to say about this... Except bon appetite!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Yep, we be gulping and they be burping!

Hahahahaha!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE. I hate spiders, especially the fast ones. The gif's in your link made my butt pucker.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Spiders are beneficial. They keep all the other pests in check. I usually will leave them alone if I see them indoors unless they are a poisonous type or too big to ignore.

I grew up in the south and we had to watch for Brown Recluses and Black Widows. The Widows were particularly dangerous as they like to live/hide in dark places that are also attractive for little kids playing like under rocks, tree stumps, etc.

The one spider that freaks me out is that Australian Funnel web. They seem very aggressive from what I've seen and don't give two F's about biting people. Sizable too. Living nightmare.

When I was a kid about 4 or 5 years old, I recall I had a really bad dream / hallucinations about spiders. It was so bad I didn't even want to go to school.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I had a pet Tarantula. I have a thing about Tarantulas.

Spiders are real intelligent. Obviously so, because they are a predator.

My Spider knew where I put my hands on the tank I kept her in. One time she struck. She went for my left hand on one side of the tank, my right hand on the other side then back to my left again; three strikes faster than I could see her moving.

One time I fell asleep on the desk where I kept her. I woke up to her eyes glittering and looking at me. She had crawled as near as possible to where my head was and was staring. When you look at their faces they are like full on aliens from Sci Fi and actually quite beautiful.

I am a little strange and part of getting her was Shamanic. I wanted to feel the spirit of the Rain forest through the Tarantula and the totem of the Spider world. It worked. I had dreams about spiders and felt sensations. Yes, there is an affinity that has stayed with me to this day. I wanted to conquer fear and see through what at first appears frightening and dangerous. I made it my pet and my friend I came to acknowledge the beauty and art work that these creatures are.

I would not have another. The worst of it is that I had to be Dr. Death to so many Crickets. I was like the High Priest of some God-forsaken cult dropping them into the volcano to feed the Spider God, lol. Still, that was better than being the executioner to the white mice when I had my Royal Python snake. Royal Pythons are notoriously fussy about their mice. Mine would only eat them if they were alive when put into her tank. It was downright ghoulish.

I am so glad I had the experience to learn about Spiders and Snakes. Keeping such exotic animals in a cold place like the UK, all trapped up like The Prisoner when they are meant to be free, well I finds that too unpleasant now. It is a poor substitute for these creatures living in the wild of their natural habitat.

I even know that Spiders suffer from loneliness and Snakes, too. Amazing animals, both; evolution's finest developments on a theme and both wonderful examples of how diverse evolution is. It is not just looking to perfect things in one species. Evolution is developing diversity. Perhaps we have something to learn by REMEMBERING THAT.

edit on 30-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
a reply to: Edumakated
One time I fell asleep on the desk where I kept her. I woke up to her eyes glittering and looking at me. She had crawled as near as possible to where my head was and was staring. When you look at their faces they are like full on aliens from Sci Fi and actually quite beautiful.

If this happened to me I would have # myself and then burnt my bed to the ground.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join