It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1983 Washington Post Article About Planet 9(X) at 50 Billion Miles from Sun.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

The distance from earth of a mysterious object in space was reported incorrectly in some editions yesterday. The correct figure is 50 billion miles.

By Thomas O'Toole December 30, 1983

A heavenly body possibly as large as the giant planet Jupiter and possibly so close to Earth that it would be part of this solar system has been found in the direction of the constellation Orion by an orbiting telescope aboard the U.S. infrared astronomical satellite.

So mysterious is the object that astronomers do not know if it is a planet, a giant comet, a nearby "protostar" that never got hot enough to become a star, a distant galaxy so young that it is still in the process of forming its first stars or a galaxy so shrouded in dust that none of the light cast by its stars ever gets through.

"All I can tell you is that we don't know what it is," Dr. Gerry Neugebauer, IRAS chief scientist for California's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and director of the Palomar Observatory for the California Institute of Technology, said in an interview.

The most fascinating explanation of this mystery body, which is so cold it casts no light and has never been seen by optical telescopes on Earth or in space, is that it is a giant gaseous planet as large as Jupiter and as close to Earth as 50 trillion miles.(Correct Figure is 50 Billion miles) While that may seem like a great distance in earthbound terms, it is a stone's throw in cosmological terms, so close in fact that it would be the nearest heavenly body to Earth beyond the outermost planet Pluto.

www.washingtonpost.com...
So, more evidence appears that this mysterious, and massive object was spotted twice at least back in 1983. Both, the article from 1983 and the new evidence suggest whatever this object is, at aphelion it is is located on the general location of Orion and Taurus constellations.

At aphelion, Planet Nine would be in the general location of the Orion and Taurus constellations, while perihelion would place the planet in near Serpens, Ophiuchus, and Libra.

www.nasaspaceflight.com...

The question is. Why have been there so many denials about the existence of this planetary, or stellar object existing in our Solar System when it was found at least back in 1983?

According to the 1983 article from the Washington Post, the temperature of this stellar, or planetary body is no more than 40 degrees above absolute zero.

Whatever it is, Houck said, the mystery body is so cold its temperature is no more than 40 degrees above "absolute" zero, which is 456 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. The telescope aboard IRAS is cooled so low and is so sensitive it can "see" objects in the heavens that are only 20 degrees above absolute zero.

www.washingtonpost.com...

In 2011 ATS member Xcalibur 254 posted the following thread Possibly as Large as Jupiter: Mystery Heavenly Body Discovered. In that thread Xcalibur254 states the correct belief that this object is not incoming towards Earth. But he/she also claims that this object was just an "infrared cirrus".

But After looking at the articles he linked it seems those other research papers from 1987 were referring to other objects. It does not seem like the planetary scientists were referring to this particular object existing within our Solar system. What's more the article from 1983 points to this object being at around the same distance as planet 9 is believed to exist, and it was found in the same general direction at Aphelion that planet 9, or whatever it is exists at.

While the assessment made by ATS member Xcalibur 254 that this object is not the Niburi object that supposedly would pass through the solar system, as claimed by Zecharia Sitchin, Xcalibur254's other statements seem to be wrong because even back in 1983, this massive object was seen at around the same distance from us and direction that planetary scientists today say that planet 9, or whatever it is is located.

edit on 29-3-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This had my mind wandering... a giant gaseous planet or object 50 billion miles away, wow.

"All I can tell you is that we don't know what it is,"

Uhhh...

The most fascinating explanation of this mystery body, which is so cold it casts no light and has never been seen by optical telescopes on Earth or in space, is that it is a giant gaseous planet as large as Jupiter

and finally.. also a perfect description for my heart:

Whatever it is, Houck said, the mystery body is so cold its temperature is no more than 40 degrees above "absolute" zero, which is 456 degrees Fahrenheit below zero.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Very nice find. Looks like one bit of information that got away and didn't get buried deep enough.
It really boggles my mind to think there is something that massive and that cold just sitting out there and to to also think there are are also plenty more of the same.

I would think by now the telescopes we have would be better than what we were using in 1983. So I would think it is safe to say whomever is looking at it knows more than they did then. This is what makes me wonder about the silence...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

A very good find
Thanks

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Nice. I often wonder about space. There may have been an asteroid that hit the earth today much like the one in Russia that wasn't detected.

Bodies that we cannot see with our own eyes fascinates me. I'm very intrigued by this new old discovery.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I remember those news stories from my high school days.

There was other astronomer who saw it and wrote it up and ended up dead in 1990 or so... Robert Harrington from the Naval Observatory.

Not to sound TOO sinister, but it's true, though he died of esophageal cancer and it was likely natural, though I suppose it could be seen as caused by the CIA cancer gun and a warning from spooks not to talk about it.

Some unscrupulous sorts use him as a poster boy for Niburu, but he just published about a 10th planet, thought it was coming into our solar system and ended up deceased.

Personally, I think we're safe as anything coming into the inner system would leave far, far more evidence, but it IS weird that there is very likely another huge body out there ... or at least one, I should say.

Sure hope the N theories (Niburu / Nemesis) are wrong, though... but there HAVE been massive extinctions on this planet, and some think there is evidence of previous civilizations, and occult types will tell you (after years of initiation) that the black sun rains death on us every so often... so who knows (and if they do, they ain't tellin' 'cause people wouldn't shop or goto work).

Meh, we're gonna die from climate change anyway...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Isn't that interesting, i always remember reading the planet x threads and seeing people debunk it by saying with all the amateur astronomers around it is impossible that it hasn't been seen, this it at least gives a reason why...

The most fascinating explanation of this mystery body, which is so cold it casts no light and has never been seen by optical telescopes on Earth or in space

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   

But After looking at the articles he linked it seems those other research papers from 1987 were referring to other objects.
False.

Here are the nine objects discussed by Houck, Neugebauer, et al. in their 1983 paper (with their designations and coordinates. Note the "1950 position" is in reference to using the 1950 epoch coordinates, it has nothing to do with when the objects were found.).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/737d26720771.png[/atsimg]
What the paper says about them is this:

Data have been presented on nine point sources found the the course of the IRAS minisurvey with no obvious identified optical counterparts brighter than 18.5 mag. A number of candidate identifications have been considered including near-solar system, galactic, and extragalactic objects. Further observations at infrared and other wavelengths may provide additional information in support of one of these conjectures, or perhaps these objects will require entirely different interpretations.

adsbit.harvard.edu...

We don't know which one was the focus of the Washington Post article but it doesn't matter because all nine objects were later identified.

Aaronson and Olszewski identifed 0422+009 as a galaxy (1984).
adsabs.harvard.edu...

Low et al. identified 0412+085 as infrared cirrus (1984).
articles.adsabs.harvard.edu...

In 1985 Houck et al. published Unidentified IRAS Sources: Ultrahigh-Luminosity Galaxies. After the original IRAS survey, six of the unknown objects were subjected to further study with the Hale telescope at Palomar. Hale identified optical sources at the location of six of the infrared sources seen by IRAS and identified them:
0358+223: a galaxy with a jetlike structure
0404+101: an "almost spiral-like" galaxy
0413+122: a group of three galaxies, one of which shows an obvious redshift
1703+049: a galaxy
1712+100: a galaxy
1732+239: a galaxy

That leaves one unidentified infrared source; 0425-012. In 1985 Antonucci and Olszewski identified it as...a galaxy.

Nine unknown infrared sources discovered with an instrument never before used, a space-based infrared telescope. Upon further study (actually more of a race to figure out what they were), all of them were identified. 8 were found to be galaxies which though dim in visible light were very bright in infrared, and 1 was found to be clouds of material emitting infrared radiation. That's what astronomical research is about.

this massive object was seen at around the same distance from us and direction that planetary scientists today say that planet 9, or whatever it is is located.
False. The 1983 paper provided no distance information for any of the objects, because they had no way of determining that from the IRAS data. At the time, distance was purely speculative.

edit on 3/30/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

edit on 30-3-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

You do realize the numbers your talking about would be well outside of our solar system . Just rounding it off you would be looking at 5 or 6 light years.No where in the article does it make a correction. In fact he article you post they are talking about a brown dwarf discovered by wise. and the 50 trillion would be the correct distance meaning Alpha centauri is still closer.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So you didn't see the comment at the start of the Washington Post which stated the 50 trillion miles figure was wrong and the object was around 50 billion miles?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Can you show where, in Houck, Neugebauer, et al., any distance is specified? For any of the infrared sources? All I can see is a mention of "beyond 30 AU." Greater than 30 AU covers a lot of territory, anything from Neptune outward.
adsbit.harvard.edu...

If any of the infrared sources detected by IRAS were planetary and part of the Solar System, do you have a theory for why they were not detected as such by WISE? It seems that WISE was a more sensitive instrument than IRAS.
phys.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So it is a complete coincidence that planet 9 general direction is towards Orion and Taurus constellations meanwhile the object referred in the WaPost was towards the Orion constellation. Not to mention the distance mentioned in the WaPost of this object being 50 billion miles away from us.

BTW, just so you know, the Infrared Astronomy Satellite (IRAS). detected 350,000 objects in 1983 in 10 months.

Neugebauer became co-chairman of the science team of the first orbiting infrared observatory, the Infrared Astronomy Satellite (IRAS). This spacecraft operated for ten months in 1983 and detected about 350,000 objects, including ultraluminous infrared galaxies and debris disks orbiting nearby stars.

phys-astro.sonoma.edu...

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that this object was one of the nine you posted. Not to mention the "coincidence" that this object's direction is in the general direction of planet 9, and the distance the WaPost article mentions is within the distance planet 9 orbit would take it as it approaches aphelion.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

So it is a complete coincidence that planet 9 general direction is towards Orion and Taurus constellations meanwhile the object referred in the WaPost was towards the Orion constellation.
You seem to be assuming that "Planet 9" is at aphelion. Why? Those who postulate its existence don't seem to know where it is, exactly.

Not to mention the distance mentioned in the WaPost of this object being 50 billion miles away from us.
Yeah, well. The actual paper says "beyond 30 AU." That's not very specific, is it?

BTW, just so you know, the Infrared Astronomy Satellite (IRAS). detected 350,000 objects in 1983 in 10 months.
Ok. How many did WISE discover? Infrared telescope, right? Better instrument, right? Why wouldn't it find "Planet 9" if IRAS did? Oh, right. I forgot. Nibiru plays peek-a-boo. IRAS saw it, but WISE didn't.
phys.org...

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that this object was one of the nine you posted.
Because those are the nine objects that Neuberger could not identify from optical surveys, as specified in the paper he wrote. The paper he was talking about in the Washington Post article.

Not to mention the "coincidence" that this object's direction is in the general direction of planet 9,
That's a pretty vague chunk of sky. There are lots of things in that general direction. But again, what makes you think that "Planet 9" is/was at aphelion?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
It really boggles my mind to think there is something that massive and that cold just sitting out there and to to also think there are are also plenty more of the same.

Here's a thing. You saying that made me think, could it be things like this that are filed under Dasrk Matter? Dark Matter to me has always seemed like God of the gaps of Space Exploration...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

This is what makes me wonder about the science...

Corrected your typo...no thanks necessary.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

why are you deliberatly ignoring all the evidence of the follow up studies from other systems - that correctly identified what the 1983 " sighting " really was ?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

how the hell can a an object :

general direction is towards Orion and Taurus constellations

be a planet associated with our solar system ?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
If any of the infrared sources detected by IRAS were planetary and part of the Solar System, do you have a theory for why they were not detected as such by WISE? It seems that WISE was a more sensitive instrument than IRAS.
phys.org...

Are you completely unaware that planetary scientists are now certain that planet 9 exists and it's within the solar system?...

Can you disprove the WaPost article published in 1983, and the comment they added that the object was not at 50 trillion miles but at around 50 billion miles? (BTW, yes i know the internet didn't exist in 1983, but the story was posted by the WaPost in the internet and they included the correction that the object was around 50 billion miles and not 50 trillion miles.)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Too bad it turned out to be just some clouds of interstellar gas/dust or the distant galaxies.

www.badastronomy.com...

Rather than rely on the accuracy of a newspaper article (and you can find out how accurate those are elsewhere on this site) I did something that never occurred to the doomsayers: I sent an email to the two astronomers asking what happened back in '83. Gerry Neugebauer replied, and told me the real poop.

IRAS was designed to look in the far-infrared, well past what our eyes see. At the time, no one was really sure what it would find. To everyone's surprise, several bright point sources were found that did not correspond to anything seen on optical images taken of the same areas. In the press conference, the two scientists said that these objects could be almost anything, from a tenth planet in our solar system to distant galaxies.

Guess which it turned out to be? Sure enough, much deeper images were taken, and some of the objects were found to be dense gas clouds in our own Galaxy, while others turned out to be very distant galaxies. In fact, these observations heralded the discovery of a new type of object: Ultra-luminous Infrared Galaxies (ULIRGs). These are galaxies in which there is a burst of stars being born. The cocoons of dust in which the stars are enshrouded generates copious infrared, which is what was detected by IRAS. They published these results in the prestigious Astrophysical Journal, and you can even read it yourself.

So IRAS did not see Nibiru, Planet X, or anything of the sort, despite the claims of the doomcriers.

#denyignorance
edit on 30-3-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join