It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you thought ortolan was bad - look what I found at work today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: JinMI

When I was a boy I grew up eating califlower in a béchamel sauce. That is the bomb.

That's so much better than brains.. lol

I love cauliflower stalk, julienned and added to a stir fry, with finely chopped celery that has been sauteed with plenty of cracked pepper, and a pinch of sugar to caramelise.

I'm not jamie oliver I know.. lol

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: rickymouse

A couple of Christmases ago, we roasted a piglet in the oven. Beside the cheeks, the kidneys were the best part, really earthy and creamy. Other than that I've only had chicken kidneys which are just meh. Chicken livers are outstanding though.

Cheeks are really good. I like the cheeks of boiled fish heads too. I used to eat them with my grandfather, he ate the boiled fish brains and gave me the cheeks. The broth from boiling the fish heads was great, it had butter in it and potatoes and onions. It went great with toast.

I don't care much for kidney pie, the Italians around here make that but the stuff is strong tasting to me. My brother made a big pig roaster on wheels. That is some pretty good meat.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm all about that. That would be rad to drink some beer and eat some chili tarantula.

Next time someone gives me a strange look when I tell them I eat fried prawns whole, legs, heads, all the pointy ouchy bits, everything, I will point them to one of your food threads.

edit on 28-3-2017 by LoneWrecche because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneWrecche

Please do, that will make me proud.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

We began speaking of food and he was a huge fan of brains. Not sure if it's an Aussie thing or not, but they don't call them sweet breads.

Not so much brains, I don't think. I've seen them in Coles, but I just move on by to the chops and snags...

But if you're interested in natures scrambled eggs, with a crunchy head, you can always hit the outback.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Fish cheeks are the best part of the fish, IMHO. Back when Cod was plentiful and cheap they used a special cutting blade to pop the cheeks off and sold them as scallops. Made a fish stew one time with whole black sea bass. After meat fell off the bones, I used a food mill to grind the ribs up and put back into the stew. Was amazing. Now that I think of it, I'll have to make it again. Fishing season is almost here in Mass. and the black sea bass have been very plentiful the last two years.

Sorry to be so long winded. I quite drinking a long time ago and now food is my only habit. I could talk food all day (and quite often do).

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: rickymouse
I like liver and heart, but do not care for brains or kidney. I have had sweetbread but really do not care for that much either.

Chicken gizzards are good if made right.

Keep the brains, I am not lacking in brains so I don't need to eat them.

I like heart, any animal. I am not partial to liver straight up, but I love using it to flavor things like broth and a bit in a meatloaf goes a long way (also good for fish bait). I also enjoy hog maws when done correctly.
I noticed that when I eat liver my eyesight is better. I think it helps with the focusing. I should be able to process the retinol from the vitamin A in carrots and sweet potatoes but I don't eat much of those. I do put carrots in my soups and it is heat stable but there is not enough in the amount I use. The vitamin A in the multivitamin I take once a week does nothing compared to the liver. About once a month to a month in a half I have liver, it is grass fed organic beef liver. I won't eat commercial liver except in braunsweiner but that effects my hypoglycemia negatively so I don't use that very often anymore, probably a chemical it has that causes my sugar to go to low. I make too much insulin and can't drink much juice or quick acting carbs or it causes me to get head spins. If I eat a lot of cheap lunchmeat it does the same thing. I think it is the nitrites that trigger the condition. I also have hypovolemia so I am always short on blood or I am anemic.

Real beef liver does not do that to me though, I actually feel real good for about a month after eating it. I do have liver and onions once in a while in a restaurant but they only give you a couple of slices, the packages I have in the freezer are about a pound.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Have you tried it? I would try it at least once, though not sure it's worth the effort to go out digging for it.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I know. Love cabbage and brussel sprouts and pretty much any green. Just can't do the cauliflower!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Fish cheeks are the best part of the fish, IMHO. Back when Cod was plentiful and cheap they used a special cutting blade to pop the cheeks off and sold them as scallops. Made a fish stew one time with whole black sea bass. After meat fell off the bones, I used a food mill to grind the ribs up and put back into the stew. Was amazing. Now that I think of it, I'll have to make it again. Fishing season is almost here in Mass. and the black sea bass have been very plentiful the last two years.

Sorry to be so long winded. I quite drinking a long time ago and now food is my only habit. I could talk food all day (and quite often do).
I just finished a pot of kallamojakka. I get the pollack filets, they were on sale for 1.99 a pound frozen. I use potatoes, a few carrots, half a stock of celery, an onion, couple cloves of garlic, and some shredded cabbage. Salt and pepper and a little tabasco sauce and some real butter. I don't put the milk in it, many finish people do. It is great. www.lakesuperior.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

To summon sufficient sisu – fortitude – for his task ahead, St. Urho first dined on hearty mojakka before heading out to rid the ancient Finnish vineyards of those pesky grasshoppers.

just like the story of St. Urho. (St. Urho’s Day, for the uninitiated, is March 16, the day before St. Patrick’s Day, and thereby one-upping the Irish chaser of serpents.)

Ha! That's hilarious!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Love Brussels. I used to make this brunch dish that was totally unhealthy and decadent.

Brioche bread with an egg in the middle with a little grana on the bread in a little clarified butter. On top was sausage gravy with fried Brussel leaves and a little chives on the egg for garnish. So good. So good. I love southern food and moreso the food from Louisiana.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

This may be on my menu this weekend. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   

This may be on my menu this weekend. Thanks.

You slice the potatoes a quarter inch thick, carrots too. the onions and garlic go in the pot with some cabbage and salt and pepper. Boil that for about fifteen to twenty minutes till the taters and carrots get almost soft then add the fish and boil it for another ten minutes till the fish gets flaky and the fish taste disappears, don't overcook it though. about six to eight drops of Tabasco sauce is all you need and about two tablespoons of butter for a big pot.

If you do do milk, it gets added in the end. and just be brought up to boiling for a minute. It works best with the white fishes, salmon and trout don't taste right to me. Great with cod and perch and bass, if the northern pike weren't so boney they would be good too. Great with bass and walleye too. Whitefish is good too.

I like northerns wrapped in foil over the grill with an onion and some butter inside the fish cavity. The meat can easily be pulled from the bones that way if it is not overcooked or under cooked.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Nope nope nope i would not eat that.I like chicken liver,oxtail,and calf liver but i could not bring mysef to eat brains though.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Cant do it but cool stuff human
edit on 28-3-2017 by Cloud9Chaser because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I love that too,my mother made it so delish with grated cheese on top then she'd bake the dish a bit.Cabbage is really nice done the same way.I use mature cheddar for the baking.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

But what would zombie Raxoxane do???

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Go around ripping the tails off of any cattle i come across-or be a rather anorexic zombie

edit on 28-3-2017 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join