It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you thought ortolan was bad - look what I found at work today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
After the discussion we had about the sweet little ortolan which is of course fattened in the dark and killed by being drowned in brandy, I thought I would share what I found at work today for a dish which is going on the menu.

There are a ton of things people won't put in their mouth. People can be grossed out by even the most tame dishes. But this is a good one. This is one that you guys are going to hate.

Veal brain Fricassé

It's going with potato salad, pickled egg, preserved lemon, Tbecha (white beans) Harissa (North African chili pepper paste), and cilantro in a butter croissant.

Thoughts ATS friends?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I would try it. One of my favorites is a deer heart cooked in a crock pot for hours. Second would be beef liver, but only cooked in a certain manner.

Have you tried brain? What is it like?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

They have a nice creamy umami flavor. Better to stuff it in your mouth and not think about to much

I haven't tried the sandwich yet though. Harissa is amazing however.
edit on 28-3-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Brains! Brains!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Odd food is not of much bother. The thing that gets me is when the smell is bad, so bad that it creeps into your nose through your mouth! Cauliflower does that.....hate that albino broccoli thing!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

When I was a boy I grew up eating califlower in a béchamel sauce. That is the bomb.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

To each their own. My mother loves the stuff.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

As long as it's not bad for you, and doesn't have 2 eyes looking back at you while you eat it, I'm game.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I love cauliflower raw.

My only reservation about brains would be the possibility of prion disease. Otherwise, I am there to try that. Bu then, I've watched enough Bizarre Foods that chili-fried tarantulas have started to look appealing.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I agree. I'm all about it. My dream is a wild game restaurant. I want to serve up a whole roast pheasant or goose to a table. That would be outstanding.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm all about that. That would be rad to drink some beer and eat some chili tarantula.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I've had sweet bread twice and enjoyed them both times. The last time it was in a vodka/prune sauce. The consistency is much different than I expected.

I was getting a coffee at a small shop in Boston last Friday and struck up a conversation with the owner, who happens to be Australian. We began speaking of food and he was a huge fan of brains. Not sure if it's an Aussie thing or not, but they don't call them sweet breads.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I like liver and heart, but do not care for brains or kidney. I have had sweetbread but really do not care for that much either.

Chicken gizzards are good if made right.

Keep the brains, I am not lacking in brains so I don't need to eat them.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Roasted cauliflower with pistachios, sounds simple but is great. Also cauliflower puree, if done right, is a great replacement for potato or other starches.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Sweet breads are the thymus gland.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

A couple of Christmases ago, we roasted a piglet in the oven. Beside the cheeks, the kidneys were the best part, really earthy and creamy. Other than that I've only had chicken kidneys which are just meh. Chicken livers are outstanding though.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I've only ever had brains and eggs, that fine southern dish, made with whatever critter's brain was available. I still get pork brains from a local farmer. I believe there are bison brains available from the local growers too but haven't looked into it.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Actually I think it's a generic term that can refer to many of the less sought after pieces of meat. I believe it can even refer to testicles and ovaries at times. In my experience, the two times I've seen them on menus in my area, they referred to brains, specifically veal brain. Whatever you call the brain, it be tasty.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I thought sweet breads were the thymus glands?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I like liver and heart, but do not care for brains or kidney. I have had sweetbread but really do not care for that much either.

Chicken gizzards are good if made right.

Keep the brains, I am not lacking in brains so I don't need to eat them.

I like heart, any animal. I am not partial to liver straight up, but I love using it to flavor things like broth and a bit in a meatloaf goes a long way (also good for fish bait). I also enjoy hog maws when done correctly.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Odd food is not of much bother. The thing that gets me is when the smell is bad, so bad that it creeps into your nose through your mouth! Cauliflower does that.....hate that albino broccoli thing!

Lol Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Kale, and a few others, are all the same family of vegetable; Brassica oleracea.

You can't bag out the cauliflower. Steamed, boiled, fried, ground into a grain and used as fake rice, creamed.. It's delicious !!

And OP, I'd never eat something that another thing used to think with... that gives me the creeps. Same with tongue.. not touching something that used to taste other things. Oo

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join