It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans Just Voted to Kill Internet Privacy

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Another example of the ways Big Data is used with the aid of AI and the insight it can give in how and why the world is the way it is and where it's going. Or how it can be used for good or evil depending upon who gains access to this information.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Now you described The Matrix. Are you doing this on purpose!?!?

Me???

You're the one who's directing the conversation with your questions. I'm just following the direction you're leading me in.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
People need to wake up to just how powerful all of this already is and how much it is currently controlling their lives.

We are caught up in the matrix and it IS the world that has been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the Truth. That we are Slaves.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
"The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities. ”

― Zbigniew Brzeziński, Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Damn he sure called that one on the nose didn't he.

"It's a sad realization when the future looks so bad that you no longer fear death, but fear reincarnation instead."
- mOjOm

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: jacobe001

Damn he sure called that one on the nose didn't he.

"It's a sad realization when the future looks so bad that you no longer fear death, but fear reincarnation instead."
- mOjOm

Indeed he did
Trump is just another sell out NWO Globalist

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Indigo5

Because it did not do any good.

As you mentioned, there are too many sneaky, obscure ways for them to get your "permission", so it is pretty much useless.

I don't like the lack of privacy, but it is a fact of life on the Internet.

Both of your attempts are BS...

(1) Because it did not do any good...
BS...Google, FB, Banks etal...I OPT OUT every chance I get...when I did, I stopped getting targeted ads...No more searching for X and then getting a gazillion X's advertised to me for a month..
They (ISPs, Google etal) were legally liable if they violated the opt out. They didn't want to get sued.
They...no longer have to care..

(2) It's the internet...I don't like losing my privacy...but...

Seriously...So you are saying you oppose this bill to repeal the Opt Out..but support it?

Holy crap...What does being a Trump supporter demand of your brain???

You don't even have to agree to anything online. When you install Windows you're already giving them permission to collect and share information about you.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

You don't even have to agree to anything online. When you install Windows you're already giving them permission to collect and share information about you.

That is SOO true!

I hope that everyone here who is using Windows 10 checked the privacy settings. The whole darn OS is set up for data mining. And it is sending all kinds of information back to Microsoft about EVERYTHING that you do on the computer. And every app you install has its own way of collecting information.

I am pretty certain that even if you go through all of the settings (tons of them) and set everything to not send information, it is still sending information.

This and every web site you go to collecting information, and the smart devices you have in your home collecting information, and privacy is non-existent if you are wired into the rest of the world.

That is just another reason why I have been saying that the anguish over the subject of this OP is meaningless. This one bill that is potentially being reversed is changing nothing the long run.

I am not saying that I agree with the information collection. I think it is wrong. But I don't think that this one bill made any difference.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

As you mentioned, there are too many sneaky, obscure ways for them to get your "permission", so it is pretty much useless.

I don't use Facebook or other social networking for that reason.
I wonder how many people who complain about this ruling openly share their entire life on Facebook?

Do they openly share the fact that the are on amazon buying edible undies and lube on Facebook?? Some of them, yes, the other folks would probably like an at least the option to opt out....

Before u ask, "they" is not me....although I wouldn't be against it.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

So why did we need another law if the ability is already there? Oh, that's right, the small government party is in charge.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001
"The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities. ”

― Zbigniew Brzeziński, Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era

to paraphrase TSEliot

This is the way democracy and freedoms end. Not with a bang but a whimper.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

BS...Google, FB, Banks etal...I OPT OUT every chance I get...when I did, I stopped getting targeted ads...No more searching for X and then getting a gazillion X's advertised to me for a month..
They (ISPs, Google etal) were legally liable if they violated the opt out. They didn't want to get sued.

Seriously...So you are saying you oppose this bill to repeal the Opt Out..but support it?

When you set up windows, choose custom set-up then uncheck boxes allowing sharing, error messages etc.

If you didn't do that, then there are a ton of online guides on how to go back through settings and opt-out.

I won't turn this into a tech-guide thread...but to say you don't have an option is not accurate or true.

AGAIN...This bill the GOP and Trump are repealing is for ISPs..the portal where you connect to the internet...and the repeal allows them to collect, share and sell all your data and history without having to ask or offer an Opt Out.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

Internet users raise funds to buy lawmakers' browsing histories in protest
thehill.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Here's a good example of what we're all up against now. This is a presentation by an organization named Cambridge Analytica and their involvement within Ted Cruz's campaign during the primaries. Keep in mind that even though Ted didn't get elected he was the only one left against Trump at the end of the Primaries. Also keep in mind that Trump is also using these people as well and that Steve Bannon is one of their Board Members.

This from October last year...
Trump’s plan for a comeback includes building a ‘psychographic’ profile of every voter

The key is a psychological model for identifying voters that can “determine the personality of every single adult in the United States of America,” said Alexander Nix, chief executive of Cambridge Analytica.

New federal filings show the (TRUMP) campaign’s payments to the firm ballooning from $250,000 in August to $5 million in September.

The firm says it can predict how most people will vote by using up to 5,000 pieces of data about every American adult, combined with the result of hundreds of thousands of personality and behavioral surveys, to identify millions of voters who are most open to being persuaded to support Trump.

Stephen Bannon, the Trump campaign’s chief executive, sits on the Cambridge Analytica board, according to a Bloomberg News report.

Hedge-fund billionaire Robert Mercer, the top donor to a pro-Trump political action committee, reportedly is the majority owner.

WOW...See this...

Cambridge Analytica — a U.S.-incorporated affiliate of SCL Group, a British firm that has worked on campaigns in 22 countries — says it is working on 50 campaigns in the United States, all of them Republican.

A key to its strategy is the fact that U.S. laws regarding the release of personal information are more lax than in some other countries, enabling it to mine far more data here.

For example, European Union countries require much personal data to be kept private unless a person “opts in” to its release.

The United States, by contrast, allows much data to be released unless a person “opts out.”

Thus, companies such as Cambridge Analytica can collect thousands of pieces of information about voters.

LINK

So Cambridge Analytica...Majority owned by the Mercer Family, Trumps biggest campaign backer and with Steve Bannon sitting on their board...Who worked to perfect Trump's micro-targeting and led the micro-targeting strategy that led to Trumps win...

Prefers the USA because of the lax data privacy laws compared to Europe...

What I bolded above was exactly what the Law passed by the Obama admin would have done..Put US Privacy laws on course with Europes...And Trump and GOP just repealed it.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Inside Donald Trump’s Data Analytics Team on Election Night

Upset win was a coup for a tiny data firm that helped the campaign target ads based on a psychological approach

www.wsj.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

When you set up windows, choose custom set-up then uncheck boxes allowing sharing, error messages etc.

If you didn't do that, then there are a ton of online guides on how to go back through settings and opt-out.

I won't turn this into a tech-guide thread...but to say you don't have an option is not accurate or true.

AGAIN...This bill the GOP and Trump are repealing is for ISPs..the portal where you connect to the internet...and the repeal allows them to collect, share and sell all your data and history without having to ask or offer an Opt Out.

Well, I've heard, not confirmed, that windows resets all the privacy back to collect-a-thon with each auto update. And they happen very often, so if that's true, good luck going manually to recheck all that time and again, and if it updated and restarted without you paying attention, that would also be troublesome.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone
a reply to: Wolfenz

I just want to get this out of the way. I agree with you.

But don't go blaming government or big business. No more than you should blame drug dealers for addiction problems. STOP BUYING WHAT THEY'RE SELLING....stop with the facebook, go back to brick and mortars, drop the twitter....or

Learn how to friggin protect yourself.....ATS stars and flags wont protect you.

Dont go Blaming the Goverment or BIG Business ? HUH !?

What do you think makes the Goverment Run! ?
it is the Major Coperations the Big Bussiness

yeah No More then the Drug Dealers ! ? you Must be Delusional

you know that the Biggest Transporter of Cocaine the CIA in the Late 70s and Early 80s
right ? thats Common Knowledge , let alone being the Biggest Arms Dealer Subcontracting
3rd party's to do the Job , well Stop buying so yeah the Boycott thing is the Solution ?
to a Certain extent i agree.

So yeah I Blame the Government for a lot of things , Well its Personal in my Case.

I sure cant get my 5 years of my Life Back, and im not talking about my Prior Service either.

protect myself, LOL oh boy ok.

I dont give a # about stars and flags , most members that know me know that ,

Im not here on ATS to get Points like Some here ,

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So the white house says today, next, they will do away with net neutrality protections. Yesterday, it was undoing laws that protect hibernating animals or hunting cubs and mother bears from helicopter. Are they actually villians? is their only goal in life to undo anything that liberals think is important?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xenogears

Well, I've heard, not confirmed, that windows resets all the privacy back to collect-a-thon with each auto update. And they happen very often, so if that's true.

Your operative phrase is "if that's true"...I am not a fan of rumor, more so when there are over a half-billion windows users that could attest to facts?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I love it!

You know, it is so sad when Americans traded in their citizenship to become consumers. For decades now, citizenship has been held in new lows, at the same time as corporations and their oligarchs have been taking over a country, a govt, sending out their siren call to not fight but to acquiesce, until there is no distinction between govt and business.

Where once govt acted as a buffer between corporations and the oligarchs, it is now being made "so small to be drowned in a bath tub". There is no citizen with rights, merely a consumer to be exploited. There is no govt as we new it, only an unrestrained free market, that now gets whatever it wants.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join