It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive gold coin worth millions stolen from German museum (221 pounds)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

221 pounds of gold in a huge coin was stolen in Berlin by "thieves". They broke into the Bode museum at 3:30ish AM and broke into the cabinet grabbed the coin and got out of the building before the police got there. Remember this is 221 pounds of gold, heavy and bulky, someone had their Wheaties.

www.cnbc.com...
A December, 2010 file photo of the 100 kilogram gold coin "Big Maple Leaf"' from the Bode Museum in Berlin, Germany.

Berlin police say thieves broke into the German capital's Bode Museum and made off with a massive 100-kilogram (221-pound) gold coin worth millions.

Spokesman Stefen Petersen said thieves apparently entered through a through a window about 3:30 a.m. Monday, broke into a cabinet where the "Big Maple Leaf" coin was kept, and escaped with it before police arrived.

edit on 27-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

A bit large for a coin purse,eh?

Wouldn't that suck trying to run away lugging that huge thing.... while trying to look casual?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I guess the key stone cops were the security at the Bode that night? I imagine there are lots of treasures that are in there, maybe time to upgrade the security?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Oooh Oooh, nice shiny round thing and big too. Attracts humans and crows. Will make a great rim for a bicycle.

Kind of looks like a big one of those Chocolate coins wrapped in foil.
edit on 27-3-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I hope they have security video, 2 thieves running around with a 220 pound "coin" should be either hilarious or brilliant. Harold Lloyd or Harry Houdini, if you will.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

If they dropped it the floor would show it.

I wounder if they had some sort of rig or carrier to help move this.

link   

i would imagine it's not a coin anymore. probably already melted down into ingots or bars and sold for a portion of what it's worth.

link   

If I was Interpol I'd be looking for a Rathkeale Rover with an unusually bulging pocket. en.wikipedia.org...

link   

I wounder if they had some sort of rig or carrier to help move this.

wheel barrow or hand truck, real simple tools used to moved heavy or bulky objects
edit on 27-3-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

wheel barrow.

A handtruck crossed my mind.
If the coin was placed inside of a box or something, I guess it wouldn't draw much attention on the street.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

The Rovers have supernatural strength when it comes to carrying gold or Rhino heads.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

i was just adding that.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

No need to carry it...just roll that sucker out.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Why is a coin with a face value of $1,000,0000 (100kgs, $4.2-4.5 million) minted with canadian gold in a german museum with the queens's picture on it and stolen so easily? Shouldn't a 100kg gold coin, minted in Canada using Canadian gold be in a Canadian museum? Oh, I remember, the queen is of the habsburg (german) line. Of course, they are all kind-of inbred to some extent, so she probably a decedent of vlad the impailer as well lol. Hope they find the coin and/or it was insured.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I feel sorry for the store clerk who has to make change for that sucker.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Pft, Mario busts that out all day.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It's only 100 kilograms, 4 bags of cement, not difficult at all and rigid edges so pretty easy for a couple of reasonably fit blokes to carry into a van or whatever.

...I also reckon it's been melted down already.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
...I also reckon it's been melted down already.

From what I've read, the gold in the coin is worth $4 million.

I'm pretty sure that thing has been cast into ingots that are being shipped to a secret vault in the Alps right now.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
OK here's what I get:
221 Lbs = 3536 Oz @ $1200/Oz then coin is $4 243,200

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Wouldn't surprise me, or a couple of jokers are right now getting busy with an angle grinder and a few blow torches in a lock-up somewhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join