It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Apocalypse Hitting America - More Jobs Lost to Automation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just a quick reminder. Robotics and automation aren't just taking peoples' jobs in mining, manufacturing, food service, the professions and transportation. There's a Retail Apocalypse hitting America - and who knows how many jobs are being lost?

The internet automates shopping online - people like it - and humans need not apply. Visits to malls declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013.

"More than 3,500 stores are expected to close across the US in the next couple of months. Department stores like Macy's, Sears, and JCPenney, and retailers including BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Bebe have all been forced to close up dozens of stores. ...Sears plans to shutter 108 Kmart stores and 42 Sears stores by April. Macy's is closing 68 locations in early 2017. JCPenney is closing 138 stores early this year. Wet Seal is closing all 171 locations. Crocs is closing 160 locations." And the list goes on.

Truth be told, there aren't going to be many jobs for people soon. ...Then what?

Elon Musk says automation will force governments to introduce Universal Basic Income (UBI). But will that do the trick?

The "Retail Apocalypse" Is Officially Descending Upon America

....Another reason retail brick and mortars are failing is the growth of e-commerce. Between 2010 and 2013, visits to shopping malls declined 50%, according to data from real estate research firm Cushman and Wakefield. Meanwhile, online sales from huge online outposts, like Amazon, have exploded.

Elon Musk: Automation Will Force Governments to Introduce Universal Basic Income

... displacement due to automation isn’t just limited to transportation, it will sweep across a number of industries, and Musk argues that the government must introduce a UBI program in order to compensate for this. “I don’t think we’re going to have a choice,” he said. “I think it’s going to be necessary. There will be fewer and fewer jobs that a robot cannot do better.”

edit on 24-3-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Viceland has a good series , "Abandoned", episode one is called "Ghost Mall", about the abandoned malls across America. Not only malls, trailer for the series:

Automation and poor economy drive the stay at home, buy on line engine we are watching unfold. Might as well stay at home, work at home, play at home, can't afford to go anywhere and hang out anymore. Everything is becoming too expensive.

Does that mean that automation is a good thing , making things cheaper, now?

Not. The corporations do everything they can to maximize profits, returning savings to the owners pockets, not passing them off to you the consumer.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yep the world is changing... One thing about Asia it is so hot and so few have air conditioning on any hot day the malls are full with window shoppers !

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

There will be no choice but to have Universal Basic Income if technology continues to replace humans in the work place.

Interesting times we live in. How then will we be able to justify some having thousands of times more resources than others? INGSOC? Communism? Brave New World?

Haile Selassie once wrote that there have not been any books written to help us or instruct us because this has never happened before in the whole of our history, that we will have to be very bold and keep our wits about us as the world comes together and at the same time changes technologically.

This is the time when we need visionaries and new thinkers. That means EVERYBODY! Give evolution every chance to use all of its human assets.

edit on 24-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Cool, profits will never be higher, for a minute or 2.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Yep the world is changing... One thing about Asia it is so hot and so few have air conditioning on any hot day the malls are full with window shoppers !

Interesting that the biggest online retailer is China-based Alibaba then!

Buy or Sell on Alibaba

...When headlines announced in September 2014 that Alibaba was the largest IPO in U.S. history, most Americans and many U.S. businesses had never heard of the company. With sales greater than Amazon and eBay combined, the Chinese e-commerce company is surprisingly just beginning to attract the attention of established U.S. retailers and aspiring entrepreneurs alike.

Founded in 1999, Jack Ma’s company is now claiming 80% of online sales in China. The international business-to-business (B2B) site connects suppliers with buyers— both businesses — across the globe on a single marketplace platform. Suppliers manufacture and sell products in bulk to buyers, typically businesses looking for inventory for their companies. The company also operates other Alibaba e-commerce sites, Taobao and Tmall. Unlike the main Alibaba site, Taobao is a C2C site, similar to eBay; and Tmall is B2C site comparative to Amazon.

edit on 24-3-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

A comment on the Universal Basic Income topic... it would actually be less expensive to provide universal basic income to everyone, than it is to combat poverty and all of the costs associated with it.

The US government could literally eradicate poverty in the U.S., and save money on tons of social service programs, healthcare costs, etc. but because poverty creates business opportunities, for many industries (like healthcare, which I mentioned), I don't see it happening. Not anytime soon anyway..

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

originally posted by: 727Sky

Interesting that the biggest online retailer is China-based Alibaba then!

Yes and I wish they would stop their darn long advertising... One of the problems in third world countries is stuff seems to disappear even though it was supposedly mailed. A friend of mine bought a new set of Golf clubs on ebay and had them shipped to his home in Asia.. They arrived in customs but somehow disappeared... He was out time and money on the deal.

I have not had problems but I seldom order stuff from overseas ....you still have to pay the shipping and value added tax when your items goes through customs.. So for me it is cheaper or the same to buy local

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Not. The corporations do everything they can to maximize profits, returning savings to the owners pockets, not passing them off to you the consumer.

And that's why Trumps neo trickle down economic model is bound to fail. There will be no new jobs and if perchance corps. do move back to the US they will be automated, but why expend capital on retooling when you can simply use slave labor off shore. Answer me this, as a business man, why should I buy "made in America" when it costs twice as much.

The Corporate Oligarchy isn't going to change just cause Trump wants it to.

Empty stores, empty malls, empty factories but the homeless are increasing and sleeping on the street. ...but Trump wants to cut social programs and give the rich a tax break. WTF???

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Maybe if people stopped shopping at Walmart?

Just a suggestion.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Sounds like you took the red pill,

edit on 24-3-2017 by intrptr because: change

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I find myself shopping more and more online. Instead of driving around town looking for the best price, a few clicks and I can compare several stores. If the best price minus shipping is found near a store by me, I'll buy it locally. Otherwise, if the product is cheaper with or without shipping, I buy it online. You can't beat getting the best price and having the product delivered right to your door!

I'm really surprised not all fast food places haven't gone to automated ordering. It doesn't create pressure on the customer to make their decision quickly and would provide more hands in the kitchen to prepare the food quickly.

I don't know if everyone has an ALDI's grocery chain, but they have a unique quarter-system that makes people return their carts properly instead of leaving them in the lot and possibly causing damage to cars. I'm really surprised other major grocery chains haven't fallen suit. It would eliminate workers from running outside to collect carts and again have them do jobs that are more important.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Even though it costs sometimes 3 times as much I still buy American.

You have some well good and highly respected brands.

Who can build a better guitar than Gibson or Fender? Who made the UAD analogue emulations? Who boasts Silicon Valley? Who STARTED the automobile market in earnest and WHO built The Harley Davidson motorcycle?

I know music instruments don't save the world, but they do help a little. I think the future is about quality and names by reputation. Reviews will sift the wheat from the chaff. Customer approval (on a world scale) will mean ultimate success or ultimate failure.

As it stands poor people have to buy crap, use credit, save for a long time or go without. I chose to save for a long time and go without just so I could buy those American goodies.

I do the same with German goods. Britain used to have a reputation, but we burnt all our bridges and now we'll have to start from scratch if we want to be a modern competitor. It is frightening how little we do here.

Yep, America and Germany lead the way in terms of quality.

People thought that Bob was just being a money grabber when he did this advert. Really, he knew that American jobs are vital (He sang about it in "Union Sundown") and he cares enough to put his name on the line for you and your cars.

Keep focusing on your strengths. They are what define you.

Bob Dylan "Union Sundown"

bobdylan.com...

"Union Sundown
Written by: Bob Dylan

Well, my shoes, they come from Singapore

My flashlight’s from Taiwan

My tablecloth’s from Malaysia

My belt buckle’s from the Amazon

You know, this shirt I wear comes from the Philippines

And the car I drive is a Chevrolet

It was put together down in Argentina

By a guy makin’ thirty cents a day

Well, it’s sundown on the union

And what’s made in the U.S.A.

Sure was a good idea

’Til greed got in the way

Well, this silk dress is from Hong Kong

And the pearls are from Japan

Well, the dog collar’s from India

And the flower pot’s from Pakistan

All the furniture, it says “Made in Brazil”

Where a woman, she slaved for sure

Bringin’ home thirty cents a day to a family of twelve

You know, that’s a lot of money to her

Sure was a good idea

Well, you know, lots of people complainin’ that there is no work

I say, “Why you say that for

When nothin’ you got is U.S.–made?”

They don’t make nothin’ here no more

You know, capitalism is above the law

It say, “It don’t count ’less it sells”

When it costs too much to build it at home

You just build it cheaper someplace else

Sure was a good idea

Well, the job that you used to have

They gave it to somebody down in El Salvador

The unions are big business, friend

And they’re goin’ out like a dinosaur

They used to grow food in Kansas

Now they want to grow it on the moon and eat it raw

I can see the day coming when even your home garden

Is gonna be against the law

Sure was a good idea

Democracy don’t rule the world

You’d better get that in your head

This world is ruled by violence

But I guess that’s better left unsaid

From Broadway to the Milky Way

That’s a lot of territory indeed

And a man’s gonna do what he has to do

When he’s got a hungry mouth to feed

Sure was a good idea

’Til greed got in the way"

Copyright © 1983 by Special Rider Music.

I tell ya, if I could, I would buy me one of these babiezzz:

edit on 24-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Malls are dying because people's shopping habits changed and generic shopping malls suck along with many of the stores and brands that tend to locate in shopping malls. It has nothing to do with online shopping and automation. There are plenty of shopping malls that are doing just fine as they are in the right location and have the right mix of stores.

Sears, JC Penny, Richs Macy's etc all used to be anchors at shopping malls. In addition, they were mid-priced department stores. They weren't killed by the internet, but because their brand strategy didn't keep up with the times. The market segmented to lower priced retailers (targets, wal-mart) and higher end retailers (Nordstroms, Barney's) and nothing was left in the middle. Their brands aren't good enough to justify the price premium over the low cost retailers and their brands aren't good enough to be an alternative to the luxury retailers. They are stuck in no-man's land.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Interesting times. I read where one really major malls property owning company is defaulting on loans taken out to buy the properties and when they do their stock actually goes UP!

I have to wonder if there are not multiple reasons this is happenig. People are having to spend a huge amount of earnings on rent and health insurance; boomers are retiring; despite official statistics, it seems violent crime is up and the social upheaval problem makes being out in public dicey.

I dont know where this is going.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Who can build a better guitar than Gibson or Fender?

I love my Strat and Mockingbird but they usually stay in the case. I gig with a Korean, plywood Kay. It sounds as good as any Martin or Taylor and I love it.

My favorite music store is now empty and vacant and I now buy all my gear on line.

By the way, it's the Republicans that killed the Unions; Just more profit for the Corporate Oligarchy. See the pattern now?

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Revolution9

Who can build a better guitar than Gibson or Fender?

I love my Strat and Mockingbird but they usually stay in the case. I gig with a Korean, plywood Kay. It sounds as good as any Martin or Taylor and I love it.

My favorite music store is now empty and vacant and I now buy all my gear on line.

By the way, it's the Republicans that killed the Unions; Just more profit for the Corporate Oligarchy. See the pattern now?

Yeah, I see the pattern. I am somehow hoping like that Bob Dylan song "Things have changed". I was praying that DT might deliver just some of what he promised you. By golly G you need it.

I may as well be honest and explain my reasoning:

We are being fools and sinking in on ourselves in the West. We think that we are no good. We're suffering a guilt trip about the past and confusion about the future. Looking for somebody to blame for all the pain.

It's no way to go. Now is time to FIGHT for the future. I am telling you that you are worth it. People in the free world DEPEND on America. That is why I show you respect because I know this and I want you to be strong for us all.

Nobody can change the past. We were all savages of one kind or another. We are all learning though. There are so many ways the world is getting better. Just a few fools will try and terrorize us and hold us back, but we have to make it because there is no other choice.

I feel sometimes like I am talking the world out of the suicide option, lol.

Don't attack yourselves for who you are, Dear U.S. You are cherished and vital.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Just a quick reminder. Robotics and automation aren't just taking peoples' jobs in mining, manufacturing, food service, the professions and transportation. There's a Retail Apocalypse hitting America - and who knows how many jobs are being lost?

The internet automates shopping online - people like it - and humans need not apply. Visits to malls declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013.

"More than 3,500 stores are expected to close across the US in the next couple of months. Department stores like Macy's, Sears, and JCPenney, and retailers including BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Bebe have all been forced to close up dozens of stores. ...Sears plans to shutter 108 Kmart stores and 42 Sears stores by April. Macy's is closing 68 locations in early 2017. JCPenney is closing 138 stores early this year. Wet Seal is closing all 171 locations. Crocs is closing 160 locations." And the list goes on.

Truth be told, there aren't going to be many jobs for people soon. ...Then what?

Elon Musk says automation will force governments to introduce Universal Basic Income (UBI). But will that do the trick?

The "Retail Apocalypse" Is Officially Descending Upon America

....Another reason retail brick and mortars are failing is the growth of e-commerce. Between 2010 and 2013, visits to shopping malls declined 50%, according to data from real estate research firm Cushman and Wakefield. Meanwhile, online sales from huge online outposts, like Amazon, have exploded.

Elon Musk: Automation Will Force Governments to Introduce Universal Basic Income

... displacement due to automation isn’t just limited to transportation, it will sweep across a number of industries, and Musk argues that the government must introduce a UBI program in order to compensate for this. “I don’t think we’re going to have a choice,” he said. “I think it’s going to be necessary. There will be fewer and fewer jobs that a robot cannot do better.”

The service industry is about to die as well....

All the fast food cooks ..and soon prob the casual level dining cooks are getting replaced by machines..

All the cashiers and servers are being replaced by kiosks..

Fine dining will prob still use humans, but what is that ?!?!

Maybe 2% of the total restaurants???

So that is all the people employed by restaurants today competing for 2% of those jobs..

Since we invented the spear it has taken less humans to do more work and we were ALWAYS going to reach a point where just period you don't need even remotely close to the amount of humans you have..

Sadly we have all been raised to hate anyone who works less than us with the power of 1000 suns..

If they work less than you or are less skilled (the less skilled part I don't even know the logic behind...) then they don't even deserve to eat.. they don't deserve health care and they definately don't deserve ANY form of entertainment..

How does that work at all when there are only 20% of jobs not done by robots???

When no matter what your work ethic is, there just are no jobs??

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

There will be no choice but to have Universal Basic Income if technology continues to replace humans in the work place.

Interesting times we live in. How then will we be able to justify some having thousands of times more resources than others? INGSOC? Communism? Brave New World?

Haile Selassie once wrote that there have not been any books written to help us or instruct us because this has never happened before in the whole of our history, that we will have to be very bold and keep our wits about us as the world comes together and at the same time changes technologically.

This is the time when we need visionaries and new thinkers. That means EVERYBODY! Give evolution every chance to use all of its human assets.

No matter your political affiliation or bent, there is no stopping progress. Its comming period..

I agree that is the only way I know of..

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Any company that introduces automation to replace a worker has pretty much lost my business.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join